Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miles Mathis & Incorrect Kinetic Energy?

Options
  • 25-05-2010 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭

I've come across guy named Miles Mathis who has published a load of papers on physics dictating that some equations etc... are derived incorrectly.

I've picked this one for your perusal to tell me what is going on, here are all of the rest of his papers.

I don't know enough, nor have time, to check everything he is writing now as I'm busy studying but I'd extremely appreciate any comments on his work.

Is he a quack? Is he correct? One blog has people praising him & his work & he comments that a physicist in NASA supports him.

While this information would be trivial to me if I could understand differential geometry et al. (something he criticizes) I actually don't at the moment so until then it would be interesting to hear about him.

One thing that caught my eye is that he says he's found errors in Newtons Principia on circular motion & that he derived with simple algebra what Einstein derived in 44 pages.

Sounds crazy, well I can't judge but I'd love to hear what you lerned people think after reading this stuff.

The main question: Are my books wrong? ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Professor_Fink

Is he a quack?

The main question: Are my books wrong? ;)

How to respond without getting my self sued?

The arguments in the one you linked to are incorrect, and his objections are unfounded. He seems to conflate the dynamics of a particle with the notion of how much work is required to take a particle from rest to a given velocity. Basically he seems to me to be saying, "but the particle was never at rest" as an objection to the argument about how much work would be required (in theory) to bring a particle from rest to a given velocity. This is an incredibly basic error.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

“Having gained this energy during its acceleration, the body maintains this kinetic energy unless its speed changes." But this is absurd... The particle should have kinetic energy only while it is being accelerated.
    That makes no sense whatsoever.

Regarding the v^2 question, it's strange that he keeps claiming the equation is wrong and then provides no other explanation or derivation for what he thinks it should be- I'd like to see how he'd maintain Galileo's principle without it.

Noting at the bottom of the page:
    This will allow me to continue writing these "unpublishable" things.
    Well that's 40 points already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Alright, first off I just want to make it absolutely clear I am not trying to force these things on you, I'm personally just curious after coming across his site & I don't think it's fair to say he's full of *@i# without a critical assessment.

One of the most interesting thing about his claims is that he claims to get correct answers in QED without having to resort to Renormalisation 'tricks'. Obviously I do not understand QED yet but I do know that renormalisation is a trick with no mathematical justification even though it works. It bothered Dirac & Feynman, as the wiki page on it claims.

I think it's fair to at least keep an open mind to someone when they claim the following;
    1) I show that you can’t assign a cardinal number to a point, which begins the revolution in both physics and mathematics. The point and the instant are jettisoned from physics, and all math and science since Euclid must be redefined.

2) In my Unified Field Theory, using Newton's gravitational equation as a compound equation, I separate out the foundational E/M field and then reunify, including Relativity transforms. In a related paper, I show that G acts as a transform between these two fields. In another related paper I show that this foundational E/M field is emitted by the central wall in the double slit experiment, creating the interference pattern before a single photon moves through the apparatus.

3) Superposition is explained mechanically and visually, in a rather simple manner. Using the gyroscope, I physically create x and y spins and draw the physical waves created. This explains the wave motion, it dispels many statistical mysteries, and it falsifies the Copenhagen interpretation. Using this same spin model, I am able to show the make-up of all fundamental particles, including the electron and proton, without quarks. I am able to unify the electron, proton, neutron, and all mesons, by developing a simple spin equation. With four stacked spins I can produce all known particles and effects.

4) I correct all the numbers involved in the perihelion precession of Mercury, proving that Einstein's analysis was very incomplete.

5) Calculus is redefined on the finite differential, which will revolutionize the teaching of calculus as well as QED and Relativity. In fact, the fields of all higher math must be redefined. This discovery ultimately bypasses renormalization, making it unnecessary.

6) I show that many of Newton’s important lemmae are false, including his basic trig lemmae. His proof of a = v2/r is compromised by this, which forces us to re-analyze circular motion. The mechanics of his orbit also falls, which requires us to hypothesize a third motion to stabilize the orbit in real time. I have shown that this motion must be caused by the E/M field. This also applies to Kepler’s ellipse. And it explains the mechanics of tides.

7) I also redrew the line between tangential velocity and orbital velocity, showing that the orbital velocity must be an acceleration. This requires a rewriting of many basic equations and cleans up many errors and mysteries, including a few of those in renormalization.

8) I solved the problem of relativity, finding the simple and basic algebraic errors at their inception. I offered corrected transforms for time, length, velocity, mass, and momentum. I exploded the twin paradox, and did so by showing incontrovertibly that relative motion toward causes time contraction, not dilation. I solved the Pioneer Anomaly. I also proved that Newton's kinetic energy equation is not an approximation; it is an exact equation. I explain the cause of the mass limit for the proton in accelerator.

9) I show the error in the interferometer and light clock diagrams, proving that no fringe effect should have been expected. The light clock creates the same mathematical triangle and falls to the same argument.

10) Minkowski's four-vector field is shown to be false, not only because it uses Einstein's false postulates and axioms, but because its own new axiom—that time may travel orthogonally to x,y,z—is also false.

10a) I prove that General Relativity is falsely grounded on the same misunderstandings as the calculus, which is one reason it can’t be joined to QED. I prove that curved space is an unnecessary abstraction and that the tensor calculus is a mathematical diversion, a hiding in esoterica. I prove this by expressing the field with simple algebra, taking five equations to do what Einstein did in 44 pages.

However
    , last night I came across something interesting, this paper talks about a famous algebraic error some critics of Relativity had made years ago & lists miles mathis paper as one of the modern day variants of this error.

I've also come across this paper in which his work was critiqued by a committee from the American Journal of Physics & the few replys. I think this would be a good read for someone objectively interested in his claims, it kind of goes back and forth but I just gave up reading it.

Anyway, about the K.E. paper,
    ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    That makes no sense whatsoever.

As far as I understand that part of his paper;
    But can we derive the kinetic energy equation without a force?

Some quarters try to dodge this problem as Wikipedia does when it says, “Having gained this energy during its acceleration, the body maintains this kinetic energy unless its speed changes.” But this is absurd. The equation is developed from the acceleration, as I just showed. The work-energy theorem requires a change in velocity, which is an acceleration. You cannot get work without a force and you cannot get a force without an acceleration. But the current kinetic energy equation has no change in velocity. A particle has kinetic energy with a constant velocity. If the kinetic energy equation is developed from an acceleration, it means the energy depends on the acceleration. The particle should have kinetic energy only while it is being accelerated.
    he claims that because;

v² = v_0² + 2ad
    v² - v_0² = (2Fd)/m
    ½mv² - ½mv_0² = Fd

uses acceleration in it's derivation it means it's wrong somehow, but I honestly can't decipher the reason why from his language.

My guess is that he is picturing a situation like the following;

an asteroid is moving with constant velocity at time A,
    at time B the asteroid is still moving at constant velocity;
    ½mv_B² - ½mv_A² = 0 = K.E. equation is wrong because a particle moving
    with constant velocity already has K.E. I think he is forgetting the initial moment that got the rocket into it's current trajectory, i.e. a force was
    required to send it in it's current trajectory. I may be misunderstanding him though :o

I don't know what he means by the current K.E. eq having no change in velocity :eek:, I was under the impression it did :p

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Noting at the bottom of the page:
    Well that's 40 points already.

Probably, I think it's fair to read the root of his argument before blatantly labelling him though, he claims to get answers. I think the most objective way to see if he's correct is studying his method of bypassing Renormalisation in QED to see if he gets the same results.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭antiselfdual

I think it's fair to at least keep an open mind to someone when they claim the following;

Nope. You'd be surprised how many people have internet sites claiming to have a near-identical list of results... (I've come across a few before more or less at random but just found this site which I offer as evidence.)

Some related links:

1) http://vixra.org/ - you can use this to play "spot-the-quack" or something.

2) http://insti.physics.sunysb.edu/~siegel/quack.html - complements the John Baez link posted earlier.

Yeah John Baez' list has been reverbarating in my head, I have read some of his site & his anti-quackery lol (plus he has a great pdf on Lagrangian mechanics!).

From browsing the guys site I came across him say,

It may also be of interest to many that my method allows me to show, in the simplest possible manner, why umbral calculus has always worked. Much formal work has been done on the umbral calculus since 1970; but, although the various equations and techniques of the umbral calculus have been connected and extended, they have never yet been fully grounded. My re-invention and re-interpretation of the Calculus of Finite Differences allows me to show—by lifting a single curtain—why subscripts act exactly like exponents in many situations.
    http://milesmathis.com/are.html
    so I'm thinking maybe he is using umbral calculus to interpret some physics & it's getting results. Steve Roman has a book out on Umbral Calculus & from browsing online I've read that it's useful in quantum mechanics. Maybe it can be applied to normal physics problems. I really don't know & am just curious, hence the post.

To me the most interesting thing is that he's said he gets correct results in QED & is able to bypass renormalization.
    What is quackish about that if he is getting the
    right numbers (assuming he is) ?

• Advertisement

Alright, first off I just want to make it absolutely clear I am not trying to force these things on you, I'm personally just curious after coming across his site & I don't think it's fair to say he's full of *@i# without a critical assessment.

Actually I did go to the trouble of reading it, but it is simply incorrect, as I tried to explain above. There is a bunch of quite fundamental errors, but the one that stuck out at me was that he didn't really get what energy was. The kinetic energy is by definition, the work required to bring a particle from its rest state up to a given velocity. On the page he questions how energy can be defined if we do not actually do this acceleration. This is absolute nonsense, and an extremely fundamental mistake. We only care about the amount of work needed in theory, not whether you actually did this. That's the mistake right there. He basically is not accepting any equation that comes from thinking about an abstraction, and has replaced it with nonsense.

He is making very basic mistakes about kinematics, so it seems pointless to me at least to pay any further attention to any of his claims.

Actually I did go to the trouble of reading it

Sorry I didn't mean to imply that, I was just looking to hear more specific errors in his work & I got the impression you all already thought he was quackish from your own reading & were finished with this thread before it started :P
    "If the kinetic energy equation is developed from an acceleration, it means the energy depends on the acceleration. The particle should have kinetic energy only while it is being accelerated."

but your right, as is my book, [latex] K.E. = \frac{1}{2}mv_2^2 \ - \ [/latex]
    [latex]\frac{1}{2}mv_1^2 \ = \ F \cdot d [/latex] and he is trying to take the fact that acceleration is simply involved in the algebra and then tell us everything is wrong.

I believe this is similar to what he did in the paper on Relativity I linked to but I think he did it with a partial differential operator that time :D

The more I think about it, the more I realise there's no way somebody could make that mistake & how deluded it is. Notice how he goes on to use E=mc² to then validate how everything is wrong without actually addressing motion according to his formulation.

Also, what is the deal with this:
    Let me put it another way. If vf = vi ,
    then the postulate equation becomes
    2ad = vf2 - vi2 = 0
    2Fd/m = 0
    E = Fd = 0

You cannot postulate an acceleration in order to develop an equation, and then dump the acceleration. The equations that come after the first equation depend on the first equation. You cannot have different assumptions in the postulate equation and the derived equations. You cannot have variable motion in the first equation, and then derive constant motion from it! We see once again how our textbooks are riddled with gloriously negligent math.
    I may be wrong but this is the definition of Work (i.e. change in knetic energy) yet he calls it energy & the fact that there is no acceleration means that the whole equation was meant to equal zero from the get go anyway, he's algebraically perplexed.
    The fact that he labels it as E is untrue because there are other forces to consider.

Would I be correct in my analysis, I bet I've missed or confused something?

Would I be correct in my analysis, I bet I've missed or confused something?

Yes, I believe you are correct that he is confusing a change in energy (i.e. work done on the particle) with the total value of the energy.

Advertisement