Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferries in and out of Dublin

Options
  • 21-05-2010 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭

Heya

I am wondering whether any of you fine folks here might have taken a ferry into or out of Dublin Port before. I am contributing to www.openstreetmap.org as a hobby and would like to improve the map of Dublin Port we currently have. Yesterday, I surveyed Terminal 1 on my bike and mapped it as best as I could:

http://osm.org/go/es@T1Edxd--

This is as far as I could get by biking and using Yahoo!'s satellite images. Any of the blue roads on the map are off-limits to non-passengers and so I had to guess details - what connects to what, which parts are one-way etc...

If any of you have taken a ferry, either from Terminal 1 or any other terminal in Dublin Port, I would love any feedback you can give me on what we have currently. Do you know of a road connection that we are missing? Do you see a road on the map that is clearly wrong? Do you know which routes are for trucks and which ones for cars?

OpenStreetMap is a volunteer, hobby project just like Wikipedia. If you feel like it, you can make improvements to the map yourself. But I am happy to take the hassle out of it. If you could give me any bits of information from your own journeys through Dublin Port, I will be happy to adjust the map.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bodan

I have never used Dublin port so i cant really comment but try bing map's, with its Bird's eye view. It has way more detail that your average satellite image.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=53.34626256348953~-6.196823237043304&lvl=17&eo=0

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

Thanks. I know Bing/Microsoft and Google both have better satellite images than Yahoo!. However, all their data is copyrighted and so cannot be used to improve OpenStreetMap. This is why I am asking here - all we can use is freely available information, gathered by ourselves (by walking/biking/driving around) or kindly donated by others. I am looking for people familiar with Dublin Port who could give me information about a missing road here or an extra road there.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭steifanc

i know it inside out as i work there , in every part of it !

for a start there is no exit at the top of tolka quay rd any more ,
    alexandra road is open to the public , branch road 1,2,3 connect alex to tolka quay , none of the Rd's are one way , rather mini dual carriage Rd's ,
    if you were to call into port center , the big building you see turning into the port , just inside the door there are year books with maps , the lady on reception is Mary , very nice lady, there wouldn't be a problem getting a book . alex and the tolka rd are the main Rd's to terminal 1&2 they are the only terminals open to the public , once you come off either of the roads you will end up in seurerty check points .

Thanks steifanc
    steifanc wrote: »
    for a start there is no exit at the top of tolka quay rd any more ,
    alexandra road is open to the public , branch road 1,2,3 connect alex to tolka quay , none of the Rd's are one way , rather mini dual carriage Rd's

Yep, all of this is how we have it currently mapped, see http://osm.org/go/es@T1Edxd--. I biked around there last night and got all these things. The only difference is that according to the signs, the third road connecting Tolka Quay Rd to Alexandra Rd is called Breakwater Rd, not Branch Road 3.
    there are year books with maps [...] there wouldn't be a problem getting a book .

The problem is with copyrights. We cannot copy information from any other maps, satellite photos or books. It all has to be collected on the ground or donated by someone holding the rights.
    once you come off either of the roads you will end up in seurerty check points .

Very true. This is exactly why I posted my question here. I cannot enter any of the terminals or industrial areas - but I would love to get more details on the map. Hence, anyone with local knowledge willing to give me a few hints as to what is missing or wrong is very much appreciated.

i can help you, i have access to all areas , breakwater road leads to port operations on the edge of the liffy , control tower for shipping,same as you would see for aircraft control tower , the little roads connecting breakwater to tolka are called the branch roads , there are 3 main ones , i think 3 is the one off break water for some reason , however i would have to check that , i dint pay that much to them

• Advertisement

Thanks for the offer. Any information is appreciated.

Yes, the branch roads are weird. This is what we currently have, based on the road name signs we found in the port:

* Branch Road 1 - North exists, there is no South
    * Branch Road 2 - North and South exist but are in different places
    * Branch Road 3 - I only know of a South one
    * Branch Road 4 - I only know of a South one

The road you are referring to would be Branch Road 3 North... I could not find any such road.

ok ill check when im in there , and any other questions , post them up there and ill get you answers

Thanks. As I said in my initial post - I am mostly interested in the parts I cannot survey myself, such as the terminals. I have mapped Terminal 1 in detail. But are my roads (the blue ones on the map) right? Are the one-way arrows on these correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

undo wrote: »
    Thanks for the offer. Any information is appreciated.

Yes, the branch roads are weird. This is what we currently have, based on the road name signs we found in the port:

* Branch Road 1 - North exists, there is no South
    * Branch Road 2 - North and South exist but are in different places
    * Branch Road 3 - I only know of a South one
    * Branch Road 4 - I only know of a South one

The road you are referring to would be Branch Road 3 North... I could not find any such road.

The port is well sign posted nowadays compared to a couple of years ago, as ste said the port provide yearbooks which are kept just inside Port Centre (square building at start of alexandra rd), be no problem if your passing to drop in and take one , in there you will find a detailed map of the port .Also details of all terminals (5 in total )

dekbhoy wrote: »
    the port provide yearbooks which are kept just inside Port Centre [...] in there you will find a detailed map of the port .Also details of all terminals (5 in total )

Unfortunately, that is of no use as it is copyrighted. We cannot copy any information from books or maps. It has to be collected first-hand (or donated by the copyright holders, of course).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

gives you all the information you need, not for one minute suggesting you copy it directly, use it as a tour guide in order to familiarise the port

dekbhoy wrote: »
    gives you all the information you need, not for one minute suggesting you copy it directly, use it as a tour guide in order to familiarise the port

Sure I can use a map to plan my trip. The thing is though, I have biked all accessible parts. So a better map will not help me :(. There is no part of the port left for me to explore. All the interesting parts that remain are off limits. I cannot go in there and look at the road layouts - I need someone who has been there to tell me what they are.

ramp 7/8 are in the basin between alex rd ext and Irish ferries terminal 1 , the Norfolk line operated from here .
    the Dublin holly head line comes up further the ship exits on terminal rd south being terminal 2 exit or stena , i think its ramp 4

Thanks again steifanc. These last bits of information are exactly the kind of thing I am looking for. I can see the ramps in Yahoo!'s satellite images. But before I can label them on the map, I need to clarify which one is which:

Ramps 7 and 8 - which one is the left (Western) one, 7 or 8? And could you clarify which ramp exactly is number 4? I see two ramps that could be accessed from terminal 2:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=53.348&mlon=-6.19883&zoom=18

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=53.347&mlon=-6.19808&zoom=18

Advertisement