Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paint attack on Niall Ó Brolcháin office

Options
  • 18-05-2010 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Seen on TG4 news that Niall Ó Brolcháin office got attacked with red paint.

(Can't unload photo I'll try in the morning)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Pity they didn't get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Someone think of the poor sweetpea!

Minister Gormley planted sweetpea as the ferocious crowd of 12 protestors protested last week at the momentous opening of Senator O Brolchains "constituency*" office.

http://www.galwayindependent.com/local-news/local-news/gormley-greeted-by-protesters-on-galway-visit/

Have the sweetpea survived this vicious attack on the illustrious Senator's office?

*Definition of Constituency

n., pl., -cies.
    - The body of voters or the residents of a district represented by an elected legislator or official.
    - The district so represented

The Senator was not elected to his position by any Galway electorate, therefore one wonders how his office is a constituency office.

You actually couldn't make this stuff up - it'd be hilarious if these people weren't actually taken seriously by some poor souls. Anyone remember the comedy "The Good Life"? Are there goats in the constituency office gardens?:D

Check out his Facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Good point Chirchview, O'Brolchain holds absolutely no mandate from the people of this country. He has been to the electorate twice and come away empty handed. His appointment as Senator smacks of yet another instance of 'jobs for the boys'.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Still can't unload the photo I took, but have a look at Nuacht TG4.

http://beo.tg4.ie/main.aspx?level=nuacht&content=94911804417

14 minutes into the clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I agree on main issue here - that the basics of democracy were completely ignored in putting O'Brolchain in his current position. However cowardly and stupid paint attacks don't exactly make much of a point other than the attacker is a moron whose ability to express their political feelings is limited to destructive acts. And this narrow minded castigation of the Greens once again who are clearly not responsible for the economic mess this country is in (that would be Fianna Fail and the Progressive Democrats btw) is not helping the debate how we can get things moving again. Move along people...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

obrolchain.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I agree on main issue here - that the basics of democracy were completely ignored in putting O'Brolchain in his current position. However cowardly and stupid paint attacks don't exactly make much of a point other than the attacker is a moron whose ability to express their political feelings is limited to destructive acts. And this narrow minded castigation of the Greens once again who are clearly not responsible for the economic mess this country is in (that would be Fianna Fail and the Progressive Democrats btw) is not helping the debate how we can get things moving again. Move along people...
    Hmmmm - How we can get things moving again ....
    Let's see - perhaps by not propping up and supporting a government who, by your own admission have landed us in this mess in the first place.

Good to see from the photo that he's recycling the paint.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Starie1975 wrote: »
    Good to see from the photo that he's recycling the paint.:D

He won't recycle it, he moaned on Galway Bay FM that it was ( shudders) an Oil based paint.:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

galwayrush wrote: »
    He won't recycle it, he moaned on Galway Bay FM that it was ( shudders) an Oil based paint.:pac:

An Taisce released a statement.

"An Taisce condemns the individual who deliberately caused an oil spill in Salthill on Tuesday and who recklessly endangered them poor dicky birds in the SAC and in the SPA less than 1km away. We are reporting this outrage to the NPWS and the EPA who have already assured us they will deploy an elite scientific team to investimitigate and to remedy this spillage forthwith."

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    An Taisce released a statement.

"An Taisce condemns the individual who deliberately caused an oil spill in Salthill on Tuesday and who recklessly endangered them poor dicky birds in the SAC and in the SPA less than 1km away. We are reporting this outrage to the NPWS and the EPA who have already assured us they will deploy an elite scientific team to investimitigate and to remedy this spillage forthwith."

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Violent attacks don't serve democracy.

Whatever you feel about O'Brolcháin himself, he didn't invent the bicameral legislature that we use, and is merely playing his part within that legislature. He's not the first unelected senator, and unfortunately won't be the last. He's obviously gone into politics to make a difference (for good or bad) and having failed to be elected to the lower house, he has accepted a position in the upper house, where he can still make a difference. Who of you wouldn't do the same?

If the anger is based on the Greens propping up Fianna Fáil, why didn't the attackers go right for the source? Presumably Frank Fahy has an office somewhere in Galway - do we really think the likes of him or O'Brolcháin are responsible for the economic mess the country's in?

And this narrow minded castigation of the Greens once again who are clearly not responsible for the economic mess this country is in (that would be Fianna Fail and the Progressive Democrats btw) is not helping the debate how we can get things moving again. Move along people...

Google "Green Party Appointments" and you'll see that the hypocrisy epitomised by the Green Party very much typifies the mess that this country is in. They are a significant part of the problem.

Violent attacks don't serve democracy. Presumably Frank Fahy has an office somewhere in Galway - do we really think the likes of him or O'Brolcháin are responsible for the economic mess the country's in?

Frank Fahy is a Fine Gaeler who ran in the local elections last time out but who has never held elected office and is not responsible for the mess we are in.

Frank Fahey is the one you mean, surely. He has an office in Ballybane somewhere. Were I ever to lower myself to visit it I would bring something a bit more effective than paint with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

dilallio wrote: »
    obrolchain.jpg

I couldn't think of a less appropriate item to clean up a bit of paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

He's obviously gone into politics to make a difference (for good or bad) and having failed to be elected to the lower house, he has accepted a position in the upper house, where he can still make a difference. Who of you wouldn't do the same?

What exactly has the senate ever achieved

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

What exactly has the senate ever achieved

I was talking about it from his perspective.

From today's Indo:

"By Brian McDonald

Wednesday May 19 2010

THE country's newest senator believes a late-night act of vandalism on his office was politically motivated."

The man is a genius!!!

Just to be clear, I've no time for O Brolchain. He has done much damage to Galway. I would have no time for him regardless of who his party is in coalition with, in other words, while I don't like the Green Party, this is not purely because of their Faustian pact.

As to the people who threw the paint. They're vandals, pure and simple; complete idiots playing into O'B's hands. He'll now have his coterie of hand wringing sweet pea propogators telling themselves that this proves they are right and the rest of the world is full of bad bad people.

Whatever you feel about O'Brolcháin himself, he didn't invent the bicameral legislature that we use, and is merely playing his part within that legislature. He's not the first unelected senator, and unfortunately won't be the last. He's obviously gone into politics to make a difference (for good or bad) and having failed to be elected to the lower house, he has accepted a position in the upper house, where he can still make a difference. Who of you wouldn't do the same?

Generally and objectively speaking you're right; there are many who are Senators and give of their time for others e.g. David Norris, Fergal Quinn.

However, specifically, who can forget O'Bs little rant when he wasn't elected. He petulantly stated that he was retiring from politics and then shortly afterwards accepted his Senate seat.

O Brolchain has someone using toxic detergents and paint strippers on that window right now...to get the paint off. There is no 'green' way to get that paint off bar wind and rain Senator and why did you not let nature take its course ????? :D

An Taisce released a second statement on the issue. My My they are busy today!

"We condemn the mindless thugs who today forced Senator O Brolcháin into this act of wanton release of toxic and caustic chemicals into the atmosphere of Lower Salthill. The Senator was in constant contact with the EPA and the NPWS who assured him that concentrations of these toxic chemicals in the atmosphere were merely of "locally severe" nature and would not affect the "integrity" of air quality in Galway on the whole. Neverthless as a green he has cravenly apologised to an Taisce for this chemical release and for the "locally severe" impact it has caused and we accept his apology. "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

churchview wrote: »
    THE country's newest senator believes a late-night act of vandalism on his office was politically motivated."

Well, that rules out the in-laws then. Although it still could have been a disgusted feng shui designer. Beige and green? Hideous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Its likely the culprits are still around in their getaway car in gridlock trying to get across the river corrib, it only happened a few days ago!!!! I knew there was method in your madness Niall!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I'm sure they'll eventually be caught red handed

/gets coat

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

Whereabouts is his office?

kinetic wrote: »

As if you don't know:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

kinetic wrote: »

Lower salthill, a few doors down from the halting site on the town side.
    Passed it this morning, whilst the building isnt to bad the footpath is destroyed. The new footpath material the council
    put down isnt helping at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Rugby fans getting their revenge I take it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

The greens are running this country with Fianna fail and hes cleaning up a paint spill with a shovel and what looks like a kit kat box?
    Says it all really,

Were doomed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

If the anger is based on the Greens propping up Fianna Fáil, why didn't the attackers go right for the source? Presumably Frank Fahy has an office somewhere in Galway - do we really think the likes of him or O'Brolcháin are responsible for the economic mess the country's in?

good post +1

passed him standing outside the office looking at the mess, couldn't help but feel sorry for him tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Frank Fahy is a Fine Gaeler who ran in the local elections last time out but who has never held elected office and is not responsible for the mess we are in.

Frank Fahey is the one you mean, surely. He has an office in Ballybane somewhere. Were I ever to lower myself to visit it I would bring something a bit more effective than paint with me.

His office is in Ballybane industrial estate, just opposite the entrance to McDonogh's hardware. It's about 1/2 way between he Morris RAB entrance and the Tuam Rd entrance.

(I was up in that estate doing research on Monday, and happened to notice the office ... hadn't picked up the spelling subtly though - thank you.)

Advertisement