Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
13-05-2010, 19:38   #1
amiable
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Here
Posts: 12,932
Non shed Dogs

Can anyone recommend a good medium sized non shed dog that might be good with young kids?
Thanks in advance
amiable is offline  
Advertisement
13-05-2010, 19:54   #2
ppink
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,524
Kerry Blue Terrier- we had one I grew up with and they are the best! ours was fab and reliable in every way, great recall v. eager to please, v happy and loved kids........and non shed!


have heard the lines now in irl are agressive but not sure if that is true or not....maybe some breeders could advise of this.
ppink is offline  
14-05-2010, 07:34   #3
morganafay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,518
I've known a few very aggressive Kerry Blues. I'm sure they can be nice, my friend actually had a lovely (but very hyper) one, but I wouldn't really bet on them being good with kids. They're a bit big too, and my friend's one was really hyper and would knock an adult over.

Bichon Frise's are lovely, and brilliant with kids, and non shed. They're small, but not tiny, like the size of a Cavalier King Charles. They might be a bit silly looking if you don't want a poofy looking dog though, and need quite a bit of grooming.

Or you could go for a mix, like a Cavachon (Cavalier/Bichon), Cockapoo (Cocker/Poodle), anything with Poodle in it. They'd be non-shed too. Just if you do, try to make sure the breeder at least kinda knows what they're doing, like ask if the parents of the pups have been vet checked and to see their vaccination cards to show that. Cavachons are kinda small-medium and should have a great temperament. Some lines of Cocker Spaniels are aggressive though, and I heard from a breeder who used to breed Poodles that they were the most aggressive dog he ever had. But if the parents of the pups are really friendly then hopefully the pups will be good, and if they're brought up with kids hopefully they'd be fine.
morganafay is offline  
14-05-2010, 07:39   #4
wordchat
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3
Goldendoodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiable View Post
Can anyone recommend a good medium sized non shed dog that might be good with young kids?
Thanks in advance

Do they breed them where you are? A cross between Golden Retriever and Standard Poodle. Our dog is great with children and smart - house trained in first week. They do get big -- but it is all hair (good for allergies and nonshedding) - a proper trim and they are quite smaller in appearance.

Hope this helpful
wordchat is offline  
14-05-2010, 07:39   #5
amiable
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Here
Posts: 12,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganafay View Post
I've known a few very aggressive Kerry Blues. I'm sure they can be nice, my friend actually had a lovely (but very hyper) one, but I wouldn't really bet on them being good with kids. They're a bit big too, and my friend's one was really hyper and would knock an adult over.

Bichon Frise's are lovely, and brilliant with kids, and non shed. They're small, but not tiny, like the size of a Cavalier King Charles. They might be a bit silly looking if you don't want a poofy looking dog though, and need quite a bit of grooming.

Or you could go for a mix, like a Cavachon (Cavalier/Bichon), Cockapoo (Cocker/Poodle), anything with Poodle in it. They'd be non-shed too. Just if you do, try to make sure the breeder at least kinda knows what they're doing, like ask if the parents of the pups have been vet checked and to see their vaccination cards to show that. Cavachons are kinda small-medium and should have a great temperament. Some lines of Cocker Spaniels are aggressive though, and I heard from a breeder who used to breed Poodles that they were the most aggressive dog he ever had. But if the parents of the pups are really friendly then hopefully the pups will be good, and if they're brought up with kids hopefully they'd be fine.
Thanks alot but i'm really looking for something bigger than the dogs you've mentioned and wouldn't in a million years get anything mixed with a king charles. Again thanks anyway
amiable is offline  
Advertisement
14-05-2010, 07:41   #6
amiable
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Here
Posts: 12,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordchat View Post
Do they breed them where you are? A cross between Golden Retriever and Standard Poodle. Our dog is great with children and smart - house trained in first week. They do get big -- but it is all hair (good for allergies and nonshedding) - a proper trim and they are quite smaller in appearance.

Hope this helpful
That sounds like what i'm looking for alright and yes it does help thanks
amiable is offline  
14-05-2010, 07:56   #7
morganafay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,518
I've never met a goldendoodle but met a couple of labradoodles and they were lovely dogs. A bit of a handful and a lot of grooming, but I'm sure goldendoodles are lovely too.
morganafay is offline  
14-05-2010, 09:43   #8
paulacork
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by amiable View Post
Can anyone recommend a good medium sized non shed dog that might be good with young kids?
Thanks in advance
I'm not sure if there's anything as a complete non-shed dog but Hungarian Vizslas require very little grooming and are great with kids and other animals. Make sure you research the breed that you decide on thoroughly if they're going to be around kids and best of luck!!!
paulacork is offline  
14-05-2010, 09:59   #9
ppink
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganafay View Post
I've known a few very aggressive Kerry Blues. I'm sure they can be nice, my friend actually had a lovely (but very hyper) one, but I wouldn't really bet on them being good with kids. They're a bit big too, and my friend's one was really hyper and would knock an adult over.
i did hear this and to be honest at first i couldn't believe it! We had one and a relative had another that jumped into a river to pull her out after she fell in!
i found them very much family dogs in that ours anyway did not latch particularly to one person but was always looking out for everyone.

Size is all relative i suppose...ours could be picked up and was very light on his feet. also smart and very very easily trained.
ppink is offline  
Advertisement
14-05-2010, 10:13   #10
maggie82
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dublin
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by amiable View Post
Thanks alot but i'm really looking for something bigger than the dogs you've mentioned and wouldn't in a million years get anything mixed with a king charles. Again thanks anyway
Possibly the best idea I've heard in a long time
Eh, IME Labradoodles can be a bit tempermental but if you get a nice one theyre fab. I'd just be careful if you have kids around and give them LOTS of training because theyre very clever (poodle) and very strong (lab)!!
maggie82 is offline  
14-05-2010, 10:14   #11
marlin vs
Registered User
 
marlin vs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Waterford
Posts: 1,428
Might be a bit small for you, but what about a Scottish terrier, they're a very friendly breed and don't shed.
marlin vs is offline  
14-05-2010, 10:15   #12
VERYinterested
Registered User
 
VERYinterested's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ballinteer, Dublin 16
Posts: 917
Currently I have my second Kerry Blue. She's a female called Rosie. She, and nor did the other one shed one hair. She is the friendliest most loyal dog I have owned. We got her in September and she has settled in brilliantly. She is not aggressive, she is not hyper, she is brilliant, you should see how gentle she is with my niece Lily who is 6 months old!

Our previous Kerry was called Hazel, we had her when the kids were growing up. The kids all grown up now still talk about her to this day and compare the similar temperament to that of Rosie. I have seen aggressive Kerrys, usually with strangers and other dogs, usually males that were not socialised properly. There seems to be mythical bad press for the former national dog of Ireland which is not fair on the breed. Kerrys should rule the world!
VERYinterested is offline  
14-05-2010, 10:16   #13
Peter Banks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 7
There really is no such thing as a non-shedding dog ... it would be better described as a "low shedding" variety!

No-one has mentioned the Poodle which is comes in various sizes? (And a Goldendoodle whatever is a mix of Poodle as well).
Peter Banks is offline  
14-05-2010, 10:18   #14
amiable
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Here
Posts: 12,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by VERYinterested View Post
Currently I have my second Kerry Blue. She's a female called Rosie. She, and nor did the other one shed one hair. She is the friendliest most loyal dog I have owned. We got her in September and she has settled in brilliantly. She is not aggressive, she is not hyper, she is brilliant, you should see how gentle she is with my niece Lily who is 6 months old!

Our previous Kerry was called Hazel, we had her when the kids were growing up. The kids all grown up now still talk about her to this day and compare the similar temperament to that of Rosie. I have seen aggressive Kerrys, usually with strangers and other dogs, usually males that were not socialised properly. There seems to be mythical bad press for the former national dog of Ireland which is not fair on the breed. Kerrys should rule the world!
I'm sorry but i'm really not interested in a Kerry Blue no matter if they are aggressive or friendly... Thanks everyone anyway
amiable is offline  
14-05-2010, 11:11   #15
funkyjebus
Registered User
 
funkyjebus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Dark Side of the Moon
Posts: 1,520
i have an irish soft coated wheaten terrier. couldnt recommend it more. non shedding, much like the kerry blue. coat takes some work, but worth it for a coat like it has.

very gentle, friendly and intelligent.
funkyjebus is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet