Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban on elderly driving

Options
  • 09-05-2010 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

The Road Safety Authority (RSA) is set to announce a blanket ban on anybody over the age of 75 driving a vehicle on a public road. Its their latest attempt to cut down on the amount of raod accidents claiming that members of this age bracket are responsible for a high proportion of road deaths.

seems a little harsh to me in fairness
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Got a source or link to this?
    Sounds kinda odd.

And what about young male drivers who also cause a high proportion of fatalities? They gonna ban them too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

If it cuts down on accidents and fatalities then it is a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Got a source or link to this?
    Sounds kinda odd.

heard it from somebody who works for them - set to go public with it tomorow

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Why not just straight on shoot all over 75's?
    They might still want to cross the road walking and cause accidents that way.

There is only 1 ban that would make sense. Ban L drivers till they have a proper license.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,312 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

This smells like BS.

I'd ban under 25's from driving instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I doubt very much if that age bracket is the worst group of offenders on the roads today.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    If that's the case then why not raise the minimum age to 21? Stupid idea if you ask me.

bubbleking wrote: »
    heard it from somebody who works for them - set to go public with it tomorow
    So it's BS then!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

A load of nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

How about they make all over 40's re-sit a driving test, and do it every 10 yrs.

Some of these have no idea how to drive, the bigger and wider the road, the worse the driving You encounter. They all think they can drive, just because its a big wide road. I see lots of clueless drivers everyday driving at half the speed limit, hogging the white line, or even worse driving completely in the hard shoulder because they can't keep up with the pace of things. Get them off the roads. Farmers in clapped out pieces of shít are the worst offenders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

galwayrush wrote: »
    I doubt very much if that age bracket is the worst group of offenders on the roads today.:rolleyes:

Ya, your probably right, but this government is determined to pump as much money as possible into saving each life on the road. €1 million = 1 person saved on the road, €1 million = 100 young men saved from suicide.

It's easy to see where our government will spend our money.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

Its not the over 75's that are actually involved in the accidents. Its the fact they drive too slow for the road conditions. This causes other motorists to take risks, in order to get out of their way. Leading to THEM having the accidents. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

That would put Stirling Moss off the road.

Do you have any links to that? I know a few over 75's that are perfectly fine driving. without a car they'd be seriously stuck, as many have problems walking too far. Also means the families would have to drive them everywhere. I think like the driving licence after a certain age they should be tested more often. Like every 3 years or something. To be honest regardless of age, if you had a few convictions you should have to do the same. Theres a lot of drivers young and/or middle aged who drive like complete morons. Obviously driving too slow is a problem. But I see far more people driving too fast than I do too slow. If you have no patience you equally shouldn't be on the road either.

TBH the only real problem is enforcement. Theres hardly any Guards on the roads, and if they enforced the existing rules, and pulled people for dangerous driving, speeding, driving too slow etc, then they wouldn't need stupid blanket bans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Link,

My old man is going on 88 and still drives, he would be fcuked without his car. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

if it saves one life ANY measure is worth it ... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Banning is a bit extreme, but they should have to re-sit test every few years once a certain age is reached.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Banning is a bit extreme, but they should have to re-sit test every few years once a certain age is reached.
    They already need to do a medical every year.

Link,

My old man is going on 88 and still drives, he would be fcuked without his car. :eek:

He'll be making the Greens happy with one less car on the road, bet he'll get over it once he realises that.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Worst group of offenders is most definitely not under 25's. Don't try blaming anything which you've done on the younger generation. How many of you have ever drove through a red light? How many of you have ever gone over the speed limit? I'm sure most of you have. It's the older type men who I believe are the offenders as I see it on a daily basis, crashing into cars because they're not paying attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Abrasax

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    if it saves one life ANY measure is worth it

No, it's not.
    Saving one life or a few lives versus the inconvenience and lack of mobility for thousands of over 75's, not to mention those who would now have to give up their time to assist them, is not worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

We need to ban old people in general. If you're over 60 get behind the shed and I'll be around with the double-barrel gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Abrasax wrote: »
    No, it's not.
    Saving one life or a few lives versus the inconvenience and lack of mobility for thousands of over 75's, not to mention those who would now have to give up their time to assist them, is not worth it.
    i was being sarcastic, i was hoping the 'ANY' made that clear, guess i need a ':pac:' aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Then ban everyone under 25 from driving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I don't agree with a blanket ban at all. However, in my opinion, every driver on the road should have to re-sit the test every ten years, and more frequently after the age of, say sixty - maybe every three years.

It's completely wrong that there are elderly drivers on the roads today that have never even taken a proper driving lesson in their life!

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Worst group of offenders is most definitely not under 25's.
    You make this sound like a concrete fact. Where's the link to this fact? Or is it just your opinion, which we should all believe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

if it saves one life ANY measure is worth it

By that logic we should ban all drivers with the possible exception of the ambulance/fire brigade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Abrasax

i was being sarcastic, i was hoping the 'ANY' made that clear, guess i need a ':pac:' aswell

The use of ':pac:' in relation to elderly deaths is quite flippant and typical of the sickminded attitudes one regularly encounters here on AH.

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Worst group of offenders is most definitely not under 25's. Don't try blaming anything which you've done on the younger generation. How many of you have ever drove through a red light? How many of you have ever gone over the speed limit? I'm sure most of you have. It's the older type men who I believe are the offenders as I see it on a daily basis, crashing into cars because they're not paying attention.

I think the u-25's are definitely the worst offenders, i say that because of my everyday experience of them on the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

old_aussie wrote: »

+1 lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

old_aussie wrote: »

That doesn't make sense - if someone's going to learn to drive at all, then it makes sense that the younger they start to learn, the faster and easier they'll pick it up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement