Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film Club Meeting, Thursday 20th May: American - The Bill Hicks Story

Options
  • 08-05-2010 12:52am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,175 CMod ✭✭✭✭

What?
    The *beginning to lose count* meeting of the boards film club.

What film?
    American: The Bill Hicks Story.
    Apparently a story about the American Bill Hicks. It's a documentary too!
    Trailer below which has a few swear words in it, so NSFW. The film is likely to have many more swear words.

Where?
    Irish Film Institute in Temple Bar.

When?
    Thursday 20th May.

Time?
    18:15 screening. Will likely be meeting up in the bar a little while beforehand.

Who can come?
    Anybody who frequents this film forum.

Can I bring non-boards friend(s)?
    Yes you can. The more the merrier!

Is there a membership fee
    Nope. Just pay for your own ticket. (There may or may not be an IFI membership fee on the ticket itself, depending on the certificate the film gets!)

Will we be booking in advance?
    To be confirmed. A few of us have membership cards that will get us slightly cheaper tickets, so once we have confirmed who is going we may be able to book in advance, or meet up early and sort everyone out.

How will I know who/what to look for?
    Look for the people who look like they're from the internet ;) Or more effectively keep an eye out for the toy rhino/Triceratops on the table (if of course Galvasean can bring them along again!).

Will we be hanging around after the film?
    Yes. The plan is to have a grand aul chat about it afterwards. Drinks/food or something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

See you there. Unfortunately the rhino was lost in battle. He pulled after the last screening and has not been seen since.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,175 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Galvasean wrote: »
    See you there. Unfortunately the rhino was lost in battle. He pulled after the last screening and has not been seen since.

Poor rhino :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I should be there!! :)

Nearly forgot about this.

What time shall we meet at the bar?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,175 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Nearly forgot about this.

What time shall we meet at the bar?

5 or 5.15 too early? Whenever really is fine with me. Some people might have work til 5 or 6?

• Advertisement

Fine for me. I don't mind going in a bit early. Save a spot, set up the visual indicator (only the Triceratops now)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm OK for time. I'm not familiar with Hicks so I've no idea what to expect. Looking forward to it.

i work up oin thomas st and i finish at 5 so id say ill be there for 5:15! totally forgot about this tbh thanks to galvasean for reminding me!

Alrightie 5.15 it is then! IFI bar! Probably worth finding the group before buying tickets, by the way, as opposed to the usual Cineworld method.
    Also, due to the early screening, eats/drinks afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I would love to meet up for it, but I already saw it yesturday and today and I have to go back to Cavan tomorrow, but if the opportunity comes about I'll try and come back down for it. It's brilliant, and as a diehard Bill Hicks fan, fully pledged like, so I wouldn't mind watching it a 3rd or 4th time while it's still about! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I'd be cutting it VERY fine to make 18:15....

Also, due to the early screening, eats/drinks afterwards?

ill be able to come out after for a bit, but i will have to head over to the ha'penny brisdge inn for a night of comedy....actually do people want to come to the gig after we get some food!?
    I'd be cutting it VERY fine to make 18:15....

well then it'll be even harder for you to make 17:15 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

No chance I'll be there anytime earlier than six so food afterwards would be great. Comedy would be good too although there may be some access issues ;o)

Will be heading into town at around 4, so see you guys in the IFI at 5.15 (or later in some cases!). I look forward to the obscenity.

This is today???? Better find me some pants! :eek:

Thats a disturbing picture you've planted in my brain, Galvesean....wheres my Megan Fox picture when I need it most!:D

You see what you've done Johnny, you take on the responsibility of organising the whole shebang away from him and our glorious leader completely forgets about our existence :cool:

See you later, y'all

i swear i totally forgot about this until i had a look about 5 minutes ago, thank f*ck i had to wait for something to load so i went browsing on here! see you all in just over an hour!

Good film, I must say. Bar the weird pseudo 3D photo effects, I had little to complain about. Oh, and too many fade to blacks, but I can live with that :)

Also enjoyed post-film burger. Yum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Enjoyed the film once it moved on from his childhood. Seemed like the type of film Michael Moore should be making - stick with one or a small range of issues, minimal talking heads and not having montages or clips out the wazoo.

Thoroughly enjoyed the film.. The IFI was a nice change of pace too. They also make a tasty burger.

• Advertisement

Thoroughly enjoyed the film.. The IFI was a nice change of pace too. They also make a tasty burger.

+1 for the film comment
    +1 for the IFI comment
    +1 for the TASTY BURGER comment!

Loved the movie, was a great night!

How was "the beer for THE TWO LADS" btw ;o)

Yeah... that was odd...

marwelie wrote: »
    How was "the beer for THE TWO LADS" btw ;o)

was good Beer!
    Yeah... that was odd...

true, i'm just glad i was refered to as one of the lads.....dunno what he was insinuating! :p

Advertisement