Colonoscopy Bowel Prep today Help! - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-05-2010, 12:54   #1
Hypnose

Colonoscopy Bowel Prep today Help!

Hi
After having picolax over 2hrs ago nothing has happened just wondering does it usually take time ?
I have to start taking klean prep at 4:30 is it really vile ?
i'm not too sure if i'll be up for i get sick quite easily (as might have an ulcer or ibs so get sick quite often )so worried
Can i take motilium to help?
Or should i ring doctor and get something different
I'm just more worried about prep than scan itself
Any advice appreciated
Thanks
From a very nerv:confused:ous girl
Advertisement
06-05-2010, 13:05   #2
Chin-Up

Hey OP,
Firstly relax !...The picolax needs time to do its job. I would not worry about not having a bowel movement especially if you stomach is empty. The Prep-K, Okay, follow the instructions, having it ice cold kills the taste a wee bit but not that much, but struggle through, the cleaner you are inside the better view your doc can get, believe me i have being having scopes since i was 15 (Am 33).

Best of luck with the scope, the drug are great so you should really remember much although if you do wake up, it is like a cosy dream.

06-05-2010, 13:48   #3
Cole

I had a colonoscopy last October and was expecting an awful day prior to the test, while preparing with Picolax etc.

It did take a while to "get going" from what I remember and the effects were nothing like I had expected, very moderate in my experience.

I thought that I might have needed more prep, because I had this expectation of spending all day locked in the toilet and feeling sick. Maybe different people have different experiences (I am thankfully in very good health) but I think it is not going to be as bad as you think.

Best of luck. ( I will be offline for a few hours but will be happy to respond to anything else later on)
06-05-2010, 13:52   #4
finbarrk

Klen prep isn't that bad, it's the first few sups that are the worst. You get used to it after the first glass. I took 4 litres in 2 hours, I'm sure 3 would have been sufficeint. It sure works anyway!
06-05-2010, 21:53   #5
Hypnose

Hi today hasn't gone as bad as i thought.
feeling sick now want to throw up
any way rang the gastro secretary today to see if i can drink tea with milk she said ya
just double checking? don't have wanted to do this for nothing
Oh yeah she said i could have motilium too if i'm feling sick had one earlier is that normal? thanks
Advertisement
17-01-2012, 11:33   #6
keithob
Closed Account

getting the upper scope done this monday coming and im litterally ****ting myself with the thoughts of it..

is it painful?
17-01-2012, 19:49   #7
emzolita

Colonoscopy is less painful than an endoscopy down. honestly. theyre not that bad, once you have drank the klean Prep, that's 2/3rds of the work done.
Thanks from:
18-01-2012, 13:36   #8
Delboy1999

Hi emzolita, have a colonoscopy next week, dreading the prep but whats it like in the hospital and getting the sedative etc. Thanks in advance
18-01-2012, 13:39   #9
ronan45

Just booked one of these in waiting on appointment going public. Ill keep an eye on this thread. Kinda nervous. Was noticing blood in number twosies so better safe than sorry
Advertisement
18-01-2012, 14:39   #10
Condo131

Lads...Stop fretting!! It's normally just a half day job, with little hassle. I found the worst was the day before, having taken the picolax. That wasn't too bad in itself....the most troublesome aspect was being unable to eat - fasting, like. I'm normally on a "See Food" diet - see food, eat food - so it was 'hardship' not eating!

The procedure was a doddle!
18-01-2012, 21:45   #11
Hersheys
Closed Account

Fast for a day.

Drink the prep.

Sit on the loo for the day.

Liquid comes out of you.

Drink plenty of fluids - water, 7up, stock cubes - anything clear.

Gp to bed & sleep. Have weird dreams about brie. Maybe that's just me.

Wake up.

Go to hospital.

Get a sedative.

Fall into a daze.

Get a finger up your bum. Then a tube.

Remember very little. Small bit of cramping.

Get tube out of bum.

Fart.

Up to the ward.

Tea and toast.

Home time.

Sorted.

Last edited by Hersheys; 18-01-2012 at 21:50.
(2) thanks from:
19-01-2012, 00:14   #12
degrassinoel
Assume the position

Another thing that nobody might tell you is this..
If you get too many sedatives during the procedure like i did.. (4 times they zapped me with sedatives) you lose control of your functions.. so dont be surprised if you wake up being wheeled back to a ward in a puddle of what used to be kleenprep..

Never in my life was i so embarassed getting out of a bed.

The good news is, i got a diagnosis about two weeks after the scope and it was the end of a grueling 2 years of tests
19-01-2012, 03:26   #13
Hersheys
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by degrassinoel View Post
If you get too many sedatives during the procedure like i did.. (4 times they zapped me with sedatives) you lose control of your functions.. so dont be surprised if you wake up being wheeled back to a ward in a puddle of what used to be kleenprep..

The good news is, i got a diagnosis about two weeks after the scope and it was the end of a grueling 2 years of tests
They leave a plastic nappy/sheet thing under you for these moments
19-01-2012, 03:33   #14
kraggy
Closed Account

The 2 times I got it done I didn't feel anything. In fact I was surprised when I was told afterwards that I didn't get a full anaesthetic, just a sedative. To me they felt like the same thing. I was out withing seconds and didn't wake up for a good while after the procedure.

Nothing to worry about at all. I was relieved to get INTO the hospital as it meant that the procedure was going to be done soon and I could eat something after it!

No pain or discomfort whatsoever. Wouldn't have known anyone or anything was up my bum if I didn't know that I was getting a colonoscopy done.
19-01-2012, 03:35   #15
kraggy
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by degrassinoel View Post

What?! Were you semi-conscious or what? How did you know that you were getting sedatives? I was out for the count as far as I was concerned. ON both occasions. Different hospitals/doctors too.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion