Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IAA may be forced to restrict flights over Irish airspace

Options
  • 03-05-2010 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭

IAA may be forced to restrict flights over Irish airspace

The Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) has informed Irish-based airlines that it is concerned that Irish Airports may be impacted by the drift south of the volcanic ash cloud caused by the north easterly winds.

Current information from the Volcanic Ash Advice Centre (VAAC) suggests that a ‘no fly zone' may have to be imposed over Ireland tomorrow that may affect Dublin, Shannon and some regional airports.

The IAA expects a further update from the VAAC at 20.00hrs (8pm) and will make a decision then concerning operations at Irish Airports and Irish Airspace.

Over-flights of Ireland from the UK and Europe are NOT expected to be impacted tomorrow and southern UK Airports (Heathrow etc ) are not expected to be impacted. Flights originating from Irish airports may be affected.

A statement on the Operation of Irish Airports and Airspace will be posted on this web site at 2030hrs tonight.

Please contact your airlines website after 20.30 hrs for information on your flight.

http://www.iaa.ie/index.jsp?p=93&n=96&a=883

I had a feeling this would happen after seeing this :
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1272886826.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

FFS!!!

BTW, well done maquiladora, you had the news 12 mins before it was on AH!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

What's the 5 day forecast looking like? could this hang around for a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

crikey , a deep fog over the volcano now or is that ash.
    http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-thorolfsfelli/

Looks like ireland airspace gona close again alrite.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0503/ash.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Poly wrote: »
    What's the 5 day forecast looking like? could this hang around for a while?

From what I have seen it looks like there will be a fairly northerly airflow over us for the foreseeable future but its too early to know the exact path the ash might take beyond a couple of days. Just keeping checking the updates here: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/vaacuk_vag.html

This better not mess up some gigs Im going to soon.... :mad:

• Advertisement

Pic from earlier today when there was a bit of a break in cloudcover, you can see the ash plume there.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_lL_3Uhhcq3E/S97Cf1W2BDI/AAAAAAAAGBs/1zdy59KugFc/30.jpg

Could someone explain to me how a northeasterly could bring ash over Donegal into the Dublin area or was I brainwashed by my Geography teacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Could someone explain to me how a northeasterly could bring ash over Donegal into the Dublin area or was I brainwashed by my Geography teacher?
    The jetstream flow is Northwest - North throughout this week.
    In fact even by Thursday the winds are strong Northeast yet the Jet flow is direct from Iceland.
    If airports do close there is definite potential that they could be closed all week

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

why are nats not doing anything about this??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

nooooooooooooooooooo, IM FLying to the uk wednesday.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

crap im flying to Vegas on Wednesday morning, will US flights be affected?

bloody typical

stupid dumbass volcano.

The jetstream flow is Northwest - North throughout this week.
    In fact even by Thursday the winds are strong Northeast yet the Jet flow is direct from Iceland.
    If airports do close there is definite potential that they could be closed all week

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1272908173.png

The point I was making but thought it should go without saying...SEE that map? The ash would be coming from the NE and not from Donegal.
    The IAA fellow was over simplifying things or just didn't understand anything other than that the met said the ash was a coming.

He lost it when he tried to explain.

Also,the jet stream is up at 40 or 50,00 ft and not at 0 to 20,500ft which is where the ash is.
    Overflights above 20,500ft are still allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

Ah, great :mad:. I have relatives due to fly over from the States tomorrow, and they have to return to the US by the 14th so this will cut their stay short if this goes on--if they can even get over here. I understand the reason for precaution, just annoyed. :(

Due for review at 1pm tomorrow anyway . . .

reopening at 1pm as most of you will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

I really hope this doesn't hang around. I'm getting married on the 14th and all the in-laws are flying in from Holland on the 12th! Anyone know how the long term is looking?:confused:

Airports to be closed again tomorrow for Scotland and north ireland

20.27 Britain's Civil Aviation Authority said: 'Forecasts show that levels of ash in the atmosphere over Scotland and Northern Ireland will exceed the concentrations that engine manufacturers have agreed are safe for operations.

'Unfortunately, this means that the CAA anticipates all Scottish and Northern Ireland airports will be closed from 07:00 local time tomorrow.'

Dublin airport to close from 11am to midnight

Wednesday, 5 May 2010 10:02
    The Irish Aviation Authority has announced that Dublin Airport will be closed from 11am until at least midnight tonight.
    Donegal and Sligo will also be closed until midnight. Ireland West (Knock) will face restrictions from 11am to midnight also.
    Shannon Airport will close from 5.30pm until midnight, while Cork and Kerry airports will be open until midnight. Waterford airport will be open until at least 7pm.
    Advertisement

Airspace over Scotland and Northern Ireland closed at 7am.
    The widespread disruption to flights comes as a result of increased volcanic activity in Iceland.
    The IAA said it bases its decisions about airspace restrictions on data provided by the Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre and Eurocontrol, and receives this information approximately every six hours.
    It added that decisions are taken solely on the grounds of safety.
    The IAA said intending passengers should continue to contact their airline's website to establish the up-to-date position on flight schedules.
    Aer Lingus had already cancelled over 60 flights to and from European and UK destinations from early this morning, while Ryanair has warned its passengers of possible disruption and cancellation.
    The IAA will issue a further statement at 4pm after it gets updated information on the volcanic ash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 nemo366

hi all

i am meant to be flying on sunday. anyone any idea if dublin airport will be open for flights. dont know if i should cancel hotel or sit it out and wait.

nemo366 wrote: »
    hi all

i am meant to be flying on sunday. anyone any idea if dublin airport will be open for flights. dont know if i should cancel hotel or sit it out and wait.

Met Eireann says...

" the plume should be held well away from Irish airspace through Friday and the weekend..."

http://www.met.ie/news/display.asp?ID=61

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Better that you have not flown yet. I am stuck in Bordeaux at the minute. Wouldn't be so bad if it was not raining so heavily.
    I re-booked for tomorrow, are the reports at home saying when it might clear?
    i.e. Does "until at least midnight" mean more than likely beyond that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Taffy Kat

I'm going to Milan on Friday night to watch my beloved Inter. I've been lucky to get a ticket as it is sold out. What are my chances of being able to go...

my flights are

Dub - Luton 22:10 Friday

Luton - Milan 6:05 Saturday

Milan - Dublin 20:00 Monday

I've been trying to get a travel insurer to cover me but no-one will and I stand to lose hundreds and be heartbroken if I can't go, am I likely to be able to or is it looking probably not? Also anyone know of an insurer who will cover me including if my first flight didn't go so I missed the second?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Hard to say how this ash cloud is going to go but listening to the radio this morning the forecaster said that from Sunday evening and early next week we are back into a Northly air flow, this for us is the worst possibe wind as it will bring the ash directly over Ireland if the volcano continues as it is at present.

woooohoooo I love cork airport right now. i got over to england. wooohoooo:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

2030 - Wednesday 5th May 2010: All Irish airports are currently restricted due to the presence of dense volcanic ash over Ireland. The current ash cloud is moving south westwards and airport restrictions will be lifted according to its progress.

The following is the position on an airport by airport basis for tomorrow Thursday 6th May 2010:

AIRPORT

Full Operations from:

Dublin

0400 hours local

Waterford

0400 hours local

Donegal

0400 hours local

Cork

0400 hours local

Sligo

0600 hours local

Ireland West (Knock)

0800 hours local

Galway

0800 hours local

Shannon

0800 hours local

Kerry

0900 hours local

The IAA appreciates the difficulties facing passengers and airlines at this time. In the interest of passenger and aircraft safety, and to avoid confusion, the IAA bases all of its decisions about airspace restrictions on data provided by the Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre and Eurocontrol. Decisions are taken solely on the grounds of safety.

Overflights of Irish airspace between North America and Europe will continue as normal.

Airline passengers should continue to contact their airline websites to establish the up-to-date position on flight schedules.

If circumstances change significantly the IAA will issue a further statement later this evening. Otherwise the next statement will be issued at 1000 hours local on Thursday 6th May 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭North Cork

Here We Go Again

http://www.iaa.ie/index.jsp?p=93&n=96&a=898

2030 - 6 May 2010: Restrictions on airports along western coast

2030 - 6th May 2010: The IAA has introduced restrictions on flights in and out of six airports in Ireland, with effect from midnight until 1300hrs Friday 7th May 2010. They include Shannon, Donegal, Sligo, Ireland West (Knock), Galway and Kerry.
    The restrictions are required as the increased level of recent volcanic activity has created a massive ash cloud stretching 1,000 miles long and 700 miles wide. See chart
    While the northerly winds are keeping the bulk of the cloud out in the Atlantic, the increased size of the cloud is encroaching on Irish airspace along the west coast of Ireland.
    Due the expected position of the ash cloud during the next 18 hours, it is essential that the airports along the west coast will have restrictions imposed in the interest of safety of passengers and crews.
    The following is the position on an airport by airport basis for tomorrow Friday 7th May 2010:
    AIRPORT
    Flight Operations:

Dublin
    Open
    Cork
    Open
    Shannon
    Closed from 0300hrs to 1300hrs
    Donegal
    Closed from Midnight to 1200hrs
    Sligo
    Closed from Midnight to 1300hrs
    Ireland West (Knock)
    Galway
    Kerry
    Closed from 0700hrs to 1300hrs
    Waterford
    Open

Passengers planning to travel by air over the coming days are advised to regularly check with their airlines and the IAA website in advance of going to the airport.
    The Irish Aviation Authority is in constant contact with VAAC and the Central Flow Management Unit (CFMU) at Eurocontrol and is monitoring the path of the ash cloud in order to assess the impact it could have on air safety.
    Should there be any change to these restrictions the IAA will issue a further statement. A normal update will be issued at 0930hrs tomorrow.
    ENDS
    Media contacts:
    Martin Towey: 01 603 1592 / 0872590581
    Dave Curtin: 086 283 2123

Privacy | Disclaimer | Accessibility | Sitemap | What is RSS? | Back to top

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭North Cork

http://www.ryanair.com/ie/notices/gops/100503-AHS-PART_2-GB
    Volcanic Ash Travel Advice - 7th May

Updated Thurs 6th May: 21:00hrs (Next Update Fri 7th May @ 09:00hrs)
    FRI 7TH MAY – IRELAND AIRSPACE UPDATE
    The IAA has confirmed that the airspace over Kerry, Knock and Shannon airports will be closed from 06:00hrs – 14:00hrs Friday 7th May. All flights to/from these airports up to 14:00hrs have been cancelled, all flights after 14:00hrs to/from Kerry, Knock and Shannon are expected to operate to schedule. Passengers scheduled to travel to/from these airports during these closures are advised not to go to the airport, but instead change their flight bookings (or request refunds) on line at www.ryanair.com.
    All flights to and from all other Irish airports are expected to operate to schedule and passengers travelling from these airports should go to the airport as normal.
    Ryanair expect the next updated to be posted here at 09:00hrs Fri 7th May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

OK, seriously stressed about Wednesday now.

Advertisement