Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assignment 35 - Monochrome

• 23-04-2010 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭

The theme of this assignment is 'Monochrome' .

General rules apply:

*Photos must be in by 2 weeks of given task - closing date midnight Friday 7th of May.
    *No old photos. Only photos taken with this task in mind qualify - sorry. Therefore, dated 24th April onwards.
    *Photos must be on the given task.
    *ONE photo per post. Post as many as you like.
    *C&C to be encouraged - but be nice about it.
    *Stretch yourself - no limitation to what you can do to produce the image.
    *Next task/subject to be chosen by person who has the most thanks after their post (must include a picture in the post ).

The image must be either black and white (grey scale) or have just one colour present through out. :) Any of this selective colouring malarkey and I'll get the hip squad to ban you. :D The image can be of anything you like. So get shooting and Have Fun!!

Answers.com/monochrome

Learn how to convert to Black and White using a variety of methods.

Here's some images I converted that seemed to work well in b&w.

2359AA595EE64E3A9B9C19643F9566EC-500.jpg

598C512461294BB2A1782651F8C52202-500.jpg

F492DC1444444D358CBF0B683FDD5150-500.jpg

111842.jpg

111843.jpg

111845.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

i love this theme except that any of your series of images (particularly the first one) will probably win :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    i love this theme except that any of your series of images (particularly the first one) will probably win :)

Me reckons dave's not allowed to enter!
    Only messing, looking forward to this one too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Could tpush this a bit more and set your camera to shoot Mono, instead of colour>convert.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

AnCatDubh wrote: »

Can't win, it's an old image :D

Looking forward to this one again. It's actually quite difficult to "think and see" in black and white. Yeah, I know a quick change in PS will make any image B&W but they don't all work. The image itself has to suit being converted.

Good choice David.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

DSC_4367bw.jpg

First time ever submitting a photo here or converting an image to black and white (at least one pity vote would be nice :p), i might go take some photos over the weekend for conversion in mind with my new 20mm lens i got yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Neasha

Camera settings: 1/80sec, F2.8, ISO-500, WB-Cloudy, Metering center wight.
    Camera Body: D200

DSC_8301.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Neasha wrote: »

DSC_8301.jpg

amazing picture but your out on the date :( i would have thought that was shot in france. love it

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Neasha

Thanks a bunch. I Thought the date for submission began on the 8th of April onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Neasha: I love that photo. Really nice capture and the b&w conversion is very nice too. Though a little hot in the white areas.

But here's the problem. Two really.

Firstly, I made a mistake in the original post. I dated the competition to run from the 8th, instead I should have put the 24th. :o

The second is obivious, Your photo was on the 10th. From your point of view you were just following the rules.

I choose the Assignment and set it up, but I am neither judge nor judicator for this. So weather this photo stands is probably up to public opinion (or the mods ;)).

Anyway, very sorry for the confusion.

David OS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Just for the record, I edited the original post.

It previously read
    *Photos must be in by 2 weeks of given task - closing date midnight Friday 7th of May.
    *No old photos. Only photos taken with this task in mind qualify - sorry. Therefore, dated 8rd April onwards.

I changed it to
    *No old photos. Only photos taken with this task in mind qualify - sorry. Therefore, dated 24th April onwards.

I just copied the previous Assignment and forgot to edit all the relevant details. School boy error, I know.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭simonp1

Here is my entry:

F8C3C0030E404DC6B398CCFFA81E5298-800.jpg

My rescue dog Summer pondering her day
    summerdone.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

STUPID QUESTION ALERT... (feel free to ridicule :p)

Is shooting in B&W allowed (as in film)? Or does it have to be converted from colour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

why would in not be. the sssignment is monochrome . the method is not the assignemtn its the final result but i am ssure oshead can clarify this. mind you you can talk about this in the assignmetn discussion thread as not to clutter up this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Mono

4548982366_144ded2a07_b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

pete4130 wrote: »
    Mono

Taken on April 23, 2010

The date on my camera is off?

Edit: Gone to fix now....been a day ahead since I was in Japan last year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Eventually something to wake me up. Great theme, I love monochromatic pictures much more than duotone (or what is the funny word for it). Single colour rules! ;)

No im not dog mad, just thought thisone from today turned out well

oscardonebw.jpg

This was one of the most emotional things I've seen in a while. MY guess is a lovers tiff. The guy in the white was angry at he other guy, who was clearly upset and had done something wrong. It was highly charged and I was very aware of how big these two guys were and how emotionally charged they were so wasn't too keen on getting too close to get the shot. I walked away after the guy in grey broke down in tears on Oxford Street with the other guy realising how harsh he'd been and showed some compassion.

It was one of the most tender moments I've seen in this city :)

4549127646_e6b2270943.jpg

• Advertisement

Mono

Pete, I don't want to quote your image, but the rules is the rules. Read them -
    "The image must be either black and white (grey scale) or have just one colour present through out."

BLACK WHITE or GREYSACLE - yours is blue,black and white - it doesn't count!

It has already gotten lots of votes - it's a great shot, but it does not meet the criteria for this assignment - so why post it?

If that shot was in the random thread I'd happily give it a thumbs up, but here in this assignment it deserves nothing - sorry, but that's the way it is.

great shot but i didnt think it was mono myself but hey im a newb when it comes to this subject, thats why i asked in the discussion thread

Pete, I don't want to quote your image, but the rules is the rules. Read them -
    "The image must be either black and white (grey scale) or have just one colour present through out."

BLACK WHITE or GREYSACLE - yours is blue,black and white - it doesn't count!

It has already gotten lots of votes - it's a great shot, but it does not meet the criteria for this assignment - so why post it?

If that shot was in the random thread I'd happily give it a thumbs up, but here in this assignment it deserves nothing - sorry, but that's the way it is.
    oshead wrote: »

The image must be either black and white (grey scale) or have just one colour present through out. :)

Reading sometimes helps? If not, try google

I guess thats the way it is, so I hope to see your thumbs up for it as you've said its deserving...seeing as it does qualify, meet requirements, fit the brief etc...

Oh yeah, Greyscale images are a mix of grey tones (blue for mine), black and white in case you hadn't noticed.
    Black & white aren't truely colours of our visible spectrum as "black" reflects no visible light and "white" reflects all visible light, alas emitting no colour.

:cool:

So c'mon....where's that thumbs up for me if its deserving? :p

P&B, It's just an assignment, no need to take it so seriously. It isn't a challenge or competition :rolleyes:

If my entries had as many votes as comments about them, I'd be the winner every time. I love these assignments.....people always think I take them seriously.....I think they are great fun :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 gone2themoon

oshead wrote: »
    Neasha: I love that photo. Really nice capture and the b&w conversion is very nice too. Though a little hot in the white areas.

But here's the problem. Two really.

Firstly, I made a mistake in the original post. I dated the competition to run from the 8th, instead I should have put the 24th. :o

The second is obivious, Your photo was on the 10th. From your point of view you were just following the rules.

I choose the Assignment and set it up, but I am neither judge nor judicator for this. So weather this photo stands is probably up to public opinion (or the mods ;)).

Anyway, very sorry for the confusion.

David OS

I say let him play.... just this once mind you.

I guess thats the way it is, so I hope to see your thumbs up for it as you've said its deserving...seeing as it does qualify, meet requirements, fit the brief etc...

Oh yeah, Greyscale images are a mix of grey tones (blue for mine), black and white in case you hadn't noticed.
    Black & white aren't truely colours of our visible spectrum as "black" reflects no visible light and "white" reflects all visible light, alas emitting no colour.

So c'mon....where's that thumbs up for me if its deserving? :p

P&B, It's just an assignment, no need to take it so seriously. It isn't a challenge or competition :rolleyes:

No sorry, won't be getting my thumbs up here. this is a B&W assignment and you've submitted a colour image.

I know this is only a bit of fun, but I love these assignments. I've taken part in most of them and even managed to win a couple. I personally think the last few have gone a little astray compared to the earlier ones, but that's just me.

If the person who sets the assignment, sets the rules - ie. B&W, then I think we should take it in the spirit it was meant and stick to B&W. Or in this case, monochrome, - not a full colour image as you have posted.
    That image, as good as it is - (and it is good), is a colour photo - not B&W or monochrome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Maybe I am colour blind here, but that sea looks a little greenish ...

:D

Monochrome is a sticky one, most people perceive it to be B&W - but you can have monochrome pictures featuring just one colour, any colour. When you mix B&W plus a colour, it's no longer a mono really is it? More a duotone or tritone

Dirt Bird:

2D4D09A5CDE54F6480F9397D7CD7D05F-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭dan759

Black and White are not colours! A Monochrome Image can have one predominant colour (Blue), with a wide tonal range going from Black to White.

To state this is a B&W assignment is just plain wrong.

Heres an example from google. Its predominantly Blue, with Blacks and Whites.

MonoLake2561cyanws.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Pigeon take off- sunday 25/4/10 back garden

23kvj7l.jpg

• Advertisement

dan759 wrote: »
    Black and White are not colours! A Monochrome Image can have one predominant colour (Blue), with a wide tonal range going from Black to White.

To state this is a B&W assignment is just plain wrong.

Heres an example from google. Its predominantly Blue, with Blacks and Whites.

MonoLake2561cyanws.jpg

Who said it was a B&W assignment? Yes, one colour is a monochrome, but when you add green it's a duo tone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

Lads,

there is a discussion thread to keep the assignment thread clutter free and full of photos and not discussion.

perhaps if you have asomething to discuss copy the link into your post in the discussion thread.

oh, and pete the is definately green and blue and black and white in your picture :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

1E8ED259B5354339A7CF8E52C6442E5B-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭dan759

No sorry, won't be getting my thumbs up here. this is a B&W assignment and you've submitted a colour image.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

4551228606_d484e6c2fd_o.jpg

Derek from Chrystal Swing, Punchestown 2010

4550717025_cabd59ac50_o.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

4551424458_3d3d012432_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭YeGods

fordsmall.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26 *Jess*

Neasha wrote: »

DSC_8301.jpg

Hi Neasha, this is my first time posting in the photography thread. I just recently found this thread and haven't really got involved yet but when I saw your photo I just had to comment on it.

I love it so much! What a beautiful picture, It really takes you to a different place...makes the imagination run wild. A beautiful Love story unfolding right before my eyes..:)
    (Not to mention all the textures, the foilage, the stone arch on the right framing the scene, the glisten from the wet ground and how timeless it looks with the oldfashioned bike and the clothes they're both wearing)

Anyway that's my opinion for you, so well done!
    Jess.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 *Jess*

swingking wrote: »
    4551228606_d484e6c2fd_o.jpg

Awh so cute!! <3

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

7189AC3EC2C84FB8B5D011501A713EA8.jpg

• Advertisement

4552084656_5d7d748f3f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭annash

tulip.jpg

Croke Park 2day

20oas4.jpg

keps wrote: »
    Croke Park 2day

Thats smashing!

Now, there are several different shades/tones of grey in this image, so I hope it doesn't cause any controversy. I'd hate to be a cagey one and try to submit an image that didn't qualify for the assignment, so I thought I'd be upfront with this one.

4552187200_34485ce20e_b.jpg

Nice dust specs.

:P

Second of 2 - Croke Park B&W shots

2i9l5sl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Weel turns out my idea wasnt so hot after all B=W cars are just well....boring so added a wee bit to this aint great but sure i might as well stick it up :) criticise away in assignement discussion thread, anything i can do better?

PadraigDoogan.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

13D6E2D5957840AAA67894E7ECC39D90.jpg

Nice dust specs.

:P

Cheers boss. I'll fix it as soon as I get home tonight. Uploaded in a hurry tonight!

• Advertisement
Advertisement