Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL in Austria (Emigration)

Options
  • 16-04-2010 9:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi everyone,

Not sure where to post this, but this seems to be the place to post on TEFL related subjects.

I'm currently in a public service job, where my contract runs out in six months time. Needless to say my contract will not be renewed and occassional work in my industry is far from a living.

I may be emigrating to Austria in the autumn, but I need several ideas for employment. The one recurring idea that keeps popping up is teaching English as a foreign language. Unfortunately I am totally clueless when it comes to TEFL, CELT, CELTA etc. I have lectured in the humanities for the last five years, so teaching experience in general is not a problem.

Has anyone worked at TEFL in Austria?

Would it be feasible to find a teaching job/s in Austria via this route?

What qualification or courses do I need, or should I do to get into this line of work abroad?

I've read nearly all the posts on the subject on boards.ie at this stage and it seems I should just go for a CELTA or CELT to give myself the best chance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Dago wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Not sure where to post this, but this seems to be the place to post on TEFL related subjects.

I'm currently in a public service job, where my contract runs out in six months time. Needless to say my contract will not be renewed and occassional work in my industry is far from a living.

I may be emigrating to Austria in the autumn, but I need several ideas for employment. The one recurring idea that keeps popping up is teaching English as a foreign language. Unfortunately I am totally clueless when it comes to TEFL, CELT, CELTA etc. I have lectured in the humanities for the last five years, so teaching experience in general is not a problem.

What qualification or courses do I need, or should I do to get into this line of work abroad?

I've read nearly all the posts on the subject on boards.ie at this stage and it seems I should just go for a CELTA or CELT to give myself the best chance.

Def go for the CELTA option if you can. You can do a month long course with costs of about €1000. I know it's an expense but if you get a steady job over there then it will be worth it.

Have you tried getting in touch with some of the universities / colleges over there to see if they need someone to teach english to their students, or even to lecture in your chosen field?

I haven't a clue about the ESL industry in austria but most northern european and scandinavian countries have a good knowledge of the English language, I think the central European countries focus more on german or Italian but there would prob be opportunities for you there to get some position, especially with your experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Hi everyone,

Never mind the CELTA. Do the ACELS CELT for two-thirds of the price. Both courses are 120 hours/1 month in length, entail 6 observed teaching practices and are recognised of equal value internationally.

Apparently CELTA is Cambridge so they manage to charge substantially more for the name. ACELS is the Irish Department of Education's qualification and should you ever want to teach in an Irish secondary school this is the standard qualification (the highest-paid tefl teachers in Ireland are in secondary schools). Quality wise and in terms of employers' views of both courses there is no difference, despite claims to the contrary. Indeed if you look at most jobs now, at least in Ireland, they are looking for ACELS certification (i.e. CELT).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭madziuda

Dionysus wrote: »
    Never mind the CELTA. Both courses are 120 hours/1 month in length, entail 6 observed teaching practices and are recognised of equal value internationally.

Not exactly - can't speak for other countries but in Poland where I work and take an active part in the recruitment process for my language school, CELTA qualified teachers are given preference over the holders of ACELS and other TEFL certs. The simple reason is that, as Dionysus said, CELTA is Cambridge and is, as such, considered more prestigious.
    And prestige does matter when the school advertises. Like it or not, your average Jo will be more likely to choose a school which can boast of Cambridge CELTA qualified teachers.
    Dionysus wrote: »
    ACELS is the Irish Department of Education's qualification and should you ever want to teach in an Irish secondary school this is the standard qualification (the highest-paid tefl teachers in Ireland are in secondary schools). Quality wise and in terms of employers' views of both courses there is no difference, despite claims to the contrary. Indeed if you look at most jobs now, at least in Ireland, they are looking for ACELS certification (i.e. CELT).

ACELS is, first and foremost a name of the institution (Advisory Council for English Language Schools) that gives accreditation to school and TEFL teachers. If you have CELTA you are still ACELS-accredited as CELTA certificate complies with the standards set by ACELS. So if you have CELTA your chances of getting a job in Irish private and public sector are really the same

OP, to be honest TEFL jobs in Germany and Austria are few and far between - at least in private language schools. With your experience in lecturing you can, however, target local colleges and universities - also, make sure you check tefl.com regularly, most TEFL jobs are advertised there these days,

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

I have a question slightly related to this topic -

I did the following course:

http://www.ucd.ie/alc/post_grad/gradcerttefl.htm

I know that this is ACELS recognised. However, is it CELTA? I don't think so, but am not sure.

thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭itsonlywords

Hi everyone,

Call into Flanagans irish Bar in Vienna and talk to Ali. He has lots of info. English guy working in the Irish bar.There are some schools in Vienna who employ native English speakers without qualifications. I knew a few guys and girls working there on those schemes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement