Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Irish Republican History museum in Belfast

Options
  • 13-04-2010 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭

I hope people can avoid a IRA good v IRA bad slanging match, if that's the case I'll ask the mod. to close the thread. Whatever your opinion I think this is a worthwhile attempt to record the troubles from the Republican viewpoint and it was has exhibits and information going back to 1798. So should you be in Belfast and do the Belfast tour bus which stops on the Falls Road near the Sinn Fein office, it's only a short walk from there.

2925178.jpg2925177.jpg2925182.jpg

The concept for a museum of Irish Republican history belonged to Eileen Hickey who was O/C (officer commanding) of the female Republican POW's in Armagh Gaol from 1973-77. On her release from prison Eileen returned to education, entered university & was awarded an Honours degree.

Admission is free and is open Tuesday-Saturday from 10am-2pm daily though visits by groups & individuals outside of those times can be arranged by contacting the museum.

Here is a link to it. http://www.eileenhickeymuseum.com/

Location.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

I agree - let's hope that the thread doesn't descend into a slanging match. From a historic research point of view it's always good just to get information out there IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Looks interesting, pity there are no captions on the pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭ronano

looks extremely interesting and the museum itself is something tourists would be interested in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I will probably check that out next time I am up there. Does anyone know of any good BA ones ? Not looking to make this into a political thread but from an educational point of view I would also like to see their equivalent one. I did find this one

http://www.armymuseums.org.uk/museums/0000000121-Royal-Ulster-Rifles-Museum.htm

But info on any more would be welcomed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Cheers, will check it out next time I'm up. The Bloody Sunday Museum in Derry is well worth the visit too.

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »
    Cheers, will check it out next time I'm up. The Bloody Sunday Museum in Derry is well worth the visit too.

Just thinking - we could probably do with a museums sticky for this forum. Links to homepages and reviews/pics would be good too.

I have a couple here about Collins Barracks and the IWM if anyone is interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

I gave the mueseum a call and the firearms were actually the REAL thing :eek:, though I presume that they have been doctored not to be able to be used again :). Must have been part of the deal on decommissioning. Worthwhile for future generations to make up their own mind on the conflict.

Morlar wrote: »
    I will probably check that out next time I am up there. Does anyone know of any good BA ones ? Not looking to make this into a political thread but from an educational point of view I would also like to see their equivalent one. I did find this one

Maybe the RIR or PSNI have one. Appearently the Republican museum does not receive any state funding and is run on a voluntary basis.

For any of you who have not been to Belfast, you can go on the Belfast bus tour which will bring you around the city to where you can hop on/off at Harland and Wolf ( the dry dock where the Titanic was built is impressive by the sheer size of it even by today's standards ), Stormont and and see the Loyalist and Republican murials etc on the Shankill Road and the Falls. It is a guided tour and tries to remain politically neutral of course. http://www.belfastattractions.co.uk/belfasttours.php

Also I believe they are turning some parts of Long Kesh/The Maze into a mueseum, they may try and follow the example of Kilmainham jail in Dublin. I believe you can get guided tours of it at request, I have seen on TG4 Bobby Storey who was the leader of the 38 IRA mens escape from it in 1983 giving the tour, nothing like getting it from the horses mouth ! Maybe contacting the Irish Republican museum and they might point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Hi Slab

Just so yuo know I wasn't lying about anything I said in the previous thread and my dad wasn't killed, only injured, but his cousin was.

I tried sending this privately but couldn't

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Looks interesting, pity there are no captions on the pictures
    the museum is hidden away behind a building site which is not very enticing.
    they do have captions on the exhibits. so long as you agreee with the whole IRA thing the staff will be very friendly and obidging.
    as I said in an earlier thread thtey seem to think southerners know nothing about Irish history.

• Advertisement

Morlar wrote: »

you have the Army museum in London and THe Guards Museum aswell. there is also a bit on the conflict in THe imperial WAr Museum.
    belfast has a museum to one of the irish regiments, but do not know which one.

SlabMurphy wrote: »
    Maybe the RIR or PSNI have one. Appearently the Republican museum does not receive any state funding and is run on a voluntary basis.

For any of you who have not been to Belfast, you can go on the Belfast www.belfastattractions.co.uk/belfasttours.php

they were offered state funding, but they turned it down as apparently there were conditions attached. what exactly the conditions were my guide did not elaborate on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Thanks Slab, we are heading to Belfast tomorrow, we must drop in here!

Does ye know of more interesting attractions around the Falls Rd, or city centre? We will have a baby with us so that limits what we can do I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Check out Culturlann if you're interested in the Irish language. Nice little cafe there and bookshop.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Thanks Slab, we are heading to Belfast tomorrow, we must drop in here!

Does ye know of more interesting attractions around the Falls Rd, or city centre? We will have a baby with us so that limits what we can do I suppose
    Well, the bus tour is quite good. Also Paddy Wagon do trips to the Giant's causeway. I may do the trip to the Giants causeway some time, but a Belfast guy whom I was mates with told me it's a bit of a disappointment to see it, he says the stones area is only about the size of a tennis court or so. Well that's what he said anyway.
    http://www.paddywagontours.com/viewnews.php?id=42

Well, the bus tour is quite good. Also Paddy Wagon do trips to the Giant's causeway. I may do the trip to the Giants causeway some time, but a Belfast guy whom I was mates with told me it's a bit of a disappointment to see it, he says the stones area is only about the size of a tennis court or so. Well that's what he said anyway.

its a nice walk. the rope bridge further on is spectacular.they are friendly at the causeway area but a cold wind doth blow if you go near bushmills.

dlofnep wrote: »
    Check out Culturlann if you're interested in the Irish language. Nice little cafe there and bookshop.

the culturlann is good because its relatively neutral.

I remember speaking Irish and trying to pay with punt ten years back when i went ino the SF shop and being coldly rebuffed.

there is an air of hycocrisy with the shinners in west Belfast. the first mural as you go up says all flags are welcome but I seriously doubt the union jack would be tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Fuinseog wrote: »

I remember speaking Irish and trying to pay with punt ten years back when i went ino the SF shop and being coldly rebuffed.

there is an air of hycocrisy with the shinners in west Belfast. the first mural as you go up says all flags are welcome but I seriously doubt the union jack would be tolerated.
    the times they are changing and so are belfast citizens,by the way the flag is called the union flag,its only the union jack when it is flown on a ship ,strange but true

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Exile 1798

The Giants Cause Way is great, if you don't like it then you probably are incapable of appreciating natural beauty!

Bushmills is a really dismal little town full of boarded up houses, tattered Union Jacks and UVF graffiti. It's such a juxtaposition to the beautiful countryside all around it and the Antrim Coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭UltimateMale

Fuinseog wrote: »

Your talking a load of bolox there Pal. I've been in SF shop on the Falls and they had no problem accepting the punt, though took whatever was the difference in the rate, 10p or whatever.
    Why is it hypocritical for the shinners not to tolerate the butchers apron ? Do you expect them to fly the butchers apron over the museum or something. FFS :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

you should see the causeway for yourself. its worth the trip.

Your talking a load of bolox there Pal. I've been in SF shop on the Falls and they had no problem accepting the punt, though took whatever was the difference in the rate, 10p or whatever.

Why is it hypocritical for the shinners not to tolerate the butchers apron ? Do you expect them to fly the butchers apron over the museum or something. FFS :rolleyes:

looking at the murals on the falls and listening to SF speaking you would think they are a tolerant bunch. they welcome all foreigners except the brits, all flags are welcome except the Union flag.

they harp on about Gaelic, yet very few of them can speak it fluently, even Grizzly Adams has his problems with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

That's off topic Fuinseog. Keep discussion to the museum please, anything about SF policy goes in politics.

That's off topic Fuinseog. Keep discussion to the museum please, anything about SF policy goes in politics.

wilco

The concept for a museum of Irish Republican history belonged to Eileen Hickey who was O/C (officer commanding) of the female Republican POW's in Armagh Gaol from 1973-77. On her release from prison Eileen returned to education, entered university & was awarded an Honours degree.

Admission is free and is open Tuesday-Saturday from 10am-2pm daily though visits by groups & individuals outside of those times can be arranged by contacting the museum.

Here is a link to it. http://www.eileenhickeymuseum.com/

Location.jpg

Just noticed that link doesn't appear to work anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Glenshane Pass

I would recommend the museum run by ex-prisoners in Strabane, above the Sinn Fein office. There is priceless exhibits in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I woulnd't have time for this to be honest. Sounds very one sided and tbh, sounds a bit sectarian with the whole union jack thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

what the hell does a persons opinion on the PSNI and RIA have to do with a museum!?! Seriously there is a option to open your own thread about whatever you want, . If you have nothing to add regarding the museum or others like it, don't bother posting!

Advertisement