Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

DURROW SHOW,TO GO OR NOT TO GO?

Options
  • 13-04-2010 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

Durrow show is on this Sunday.Still can't decide if i should go or not.
    On the downside,traffic tailbacks can start a few miles before Durrow and if you do get in,you could be a long time trying to get back out again.
    It is a great show and traffic may not be as bad as last year.
    Most people that i have spoken to recently are not going,so it could be a good one to go to.
    What's everyone doing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Blue850

Going in the everyday car, so I can leave early.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MorrisCooper

Haven't pre-booked so won't be going. Not going to chance being turned away at the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Its a tough one,it will be interesting to see what happens this year. The fact there is so much stuff there is a big attraction. But will there be as much as last year this year.
    I may head up with my uncle,but then again,i may not...Wont be bringing a classic if we do. Anyone have any idea of the pre booking numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭ikb

Sorry Guys,
    Last year just finished me, was 21/2 hours trying for the gate, Luckey for me I had been working that morning and went down in the truck, Im certain ZOE would have bust a Rad hose...... Great show (been to all since the first) but the traffic just spoils it (also if its a nice day Joe public turns up in droves to eyeball our rusty nuts).
    That said, there is supposed to be a new traffic plan in place ( per Irish Vintage Scene), But I think Ill wait and see this one out.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

This thread title sums it up for me. Im still in 2 minds over this show. Im thinking ill not go as there are a few local shows on in Wexford that I could go to that day in my classic and not bother with the hassell of Durrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

well I booked after a bit of soul searching as it was a great show last year in all respects but one...(not that I got delayed one iota....

I booked, sent in my details and a copy of my insurance and got back a pass that makes no mention of what Im driving at all! Odd

I DO NOT like the refernces to breaking down fences and "the authorities" being told (what authorities?" ) and other little references which appear to blame people for turning up for last years chaos rather than their own lack of foresight.

oh and If I want to leave before 4pm, I shall do so or a writ will follow* (hope they are reading this...)

*probably wont as Im all talk really... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

After last years fiasco there is no way I am going back this year! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

DURROW SHOW,TO GO OR NOT TO GO?

Was thinking the same myself, was mayhem last year, wasn't at all impressed. I'm inclined to go though to be honest but have half a notion to park outside and walk back to it.

DannyBuoy wrote: »
    I'm inclined to go though to be honest but have half a notion to park outside and walk back to it.

Leave the car at home then and walk — got to be faster that last year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

atlantean wrote: »
    Leave the car at home then and walk — got to be faster that last year :D
    have not heard of this show
    sounds like a huge event

• Advertisement

goat2 wrote: »
    have not heard of this show
    sounds like a huge event

Thats the problem, huge event but everyone goes in and out one gate leading to the main Cork Dublin road...

@atlantean, long walk back to the Rebel County! :)

It was also a long wait to get out through the gate in a car LOL ;)

atlantean wrote: »
    It was also a long wait to get out through the gate in a car LOL ;)

Good point, some of the scenes last year were down right scary. What I saw had the potential to turn into a mini riot.
    Did enjoy the show though so will prob chance it again this year, but this is its last chance...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

go on a bike = no traffic :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭ikb

Thats the problem, huge event but everyone goes in and out one gate leading to the main Cork Dublin road...

It wont be the main road next year...Hopefully the Motorway will be finished:rolleyes:
    They still need another plan though... witnessed some crazy scenes myself.. (Guys in jeeps trying to drive through the hedge to the next field etc).. A Woman with a baby begging the marshals to do something.. Cars driving directly at the marshals,fast (one young marshal stood his ground,fair play, and the car stopped on his foot).... By the time it began to sort itself out even the coolest of the marshals had lost the plot, panic and frustration, had set in bigtime.
    It was bordering on a riot, extremely dangerous, I will not expose my kids to that.
    Will see how it goes this year, next can only be better, M7 willing.:)

they seem to have a seperate Public gate and two southbound classics exits planned.All that was needed last year really was to ban right hand turns and send everyone south out of the gate, lots of cross country options available that way and a roundabout to do a U Turn to head north if you wanted.

My guess is there will be a larger garda presence this year at going home time...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

I think it will go a lot better this year compared to last year, it has to sure. With half the people that were there last year not going this year thats got to help. Also it seems they have better planing so that should help too.

some of the scenes last year were down right scary. What I saw had the potential to turn into a mini riot.

Exactly! I was not in a hurry luckily but some people were sitting on the same place for 3 hours — I would not have believed it only I witnessed it! Others were sent around in circles and in doing so ended up churning up the field!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DF1

Anyone heading tomorrow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What time would you need to be Heading to dodge the traffic in the morning, when's gates open?

• Advertisement

im going and so are a few fellow ford owners so there will be something to look at

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Weather should be good for it at least.

ah that'll bring out the crowds then...better pack the sleeping bag....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bookerboy

I decided not to go.Be sure and let us know what traffic was like and the show of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Despite being a rare traveller south of Dublin I found myself passing Durrow today. had my wife with me so did not have the time for a long, in depth tour.

Very good traffic management on the road, minutes entering and same leaving ,though i left at 2 pm.

great array oF stuff from trucks to motorbikes ,from steam engines to parts!
    I had a great chat with a fellow who has a restored MAN tractor unit. MAN was my first lorry.
    Sort of thought i would see more stuff off this thread.
    I see you were to attend Corktina, there were fords enmasse,
    and on way home spotted 7 Cortinas stopped on roadside.

Good weather, v,good show, good traffic management(while I was there) and good grub, roast beef in a tent.

Regards,Rugbyman

I left at 3 as well, got out within 5 minutes, great show
    1924 Dodge still with 1926 tyres!!, no E markings :D

DSC08479.jpg
    DSC08480.jpg
    DSC08481.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

^ 84 year old tyres still holding air! Mad!

Met up with a friend from Dublin, spent more time chatting than taking photos:D

DSC08438.jpg
    DSC08439.jpg
    DSC08440.jpg
    DSC08441.jpg
    DSC08442.jpg
    DSC08443.jpg
    DSC08444.jpg
    DSC08445.jpg
    DSC08446.jpg
    DSC08448.jpg
    DSC08449.jpg
    DSC08450.jpg