Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to play less and solo more creatively

Options
  • 09-04-2010 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I can't forget a story I once read in one of Miles Davis' biographies.
    It was about a conversation between Miles and John Coltrane.
    Miles was tired to death of Coltrane’s never ending solos and asked him to make them shorter...to which Coltrane said: "I just can't stop playing!" - Miles answered: "Just take your horn off your mouth!".

It's that simple.
    I think as guitarists we have all been guilty to play too much, too loudly...

In my search for a more Inspired approach to soloing, I experimented different strategies.
    Something that really helped me to play more creatively was to learn to "not play".

That's right!

I’ll give you a a practical example:

Divide a twelve bar blues into three sections, each one comprising 4 bars.
    Start soloing over the first 4 bars and then stop. After 4 bars, start playing again, and so forth. Invert the order. Rest 4 bars then play...

Pick out different bar groupings. You should also try odd combinations: play for 3 bars, rest for 2. Stop for 1 bar play for 3, etc...

You will soon discover that you can loosen up more, come up with more creative ideas and you will develop the ability to "say" something interesting without even being conscious of it.

You will also start listening to what your band mates are doing, what chords the bass player is outlining, the rhythmic ideas introduced by the drummer etc... you will also start suggesting ideas to the rest of the band.

However, this will take dedication and focus.

You should be working on this at least 30 minutes/practicing session.
    You sit down on a comfortable chair, and practice all possible combinations. Experiment with different types of accompaniment. One day you use a metronome, another day a sequencer, another day even no accompaniment at all!
    Try different styles as well...see what happens playing over a swing tune, then a Latin one and so on.
    Of course you should try this approach on different chord changes. Try “II V I” progressions and then see what happens with standards.

Important!
    After you practice consciously, get up, make yourself a cup of coffee and chill...
    Then spend something like 10 minutes playing just for the fun of it...

You’ll notice immediately how this approach dramatically changes your playing from the feedback you’ll get from your audience. People will feel that something is going on, a story being told...they’ll stop chatting to pay attention to your music...that is incredible experience, believe me.

I remember a rehearsal with a jazz big band years ago...
    I didn’t like the conductor very much but he said something that I still remember:

“When you are soloing, imagine that you are getting paid for the notes you are not playing”

That is an interesting point of view ... and a smart way to make more money :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

Great advice.

It reminds me of a quote from Chick Corea:

"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."

A lot of people fall into the trap of playing for the sake of it. Like with solos, you might feel like you have to fill up all the space with notes and end up aimlessly noodling (incidentally, I'm not actually a fan of Coltrane's playing because of this, sounds like a load of random 'widdling' to me).
    But when you give your brain that space to actually hear something before you play, it's gonna work a lot better. It might not come out exactly as you want but it's still going to connect a lot more than just bashing out notes.

Like OP siad, it's a lot more difficult to do this than it sounds and it takes a huge amount of focus but it's worth it (god knows I'm still trying!)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

Oh and speaking of Jazz quotes, I found this really interesting:

http://www.apassion4jazz.net/quotations3.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 NiallGK

Count Basie's matra.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 franamico

Yes many people talk about playing less but what I really like is that you can develop your own practice routine to teach your brain to leave more space. A great guide that I still use is "How To Improvise" by Hal Crook

Advertisement