Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events thread

Options
  • 08-04-2010 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭

This thread is here for people to pimp any event that they feel might be of interest to Christians. I'm hoping that we can keep cross-post chat to a minimum and instead use this thread as a shop window. People may wish to check out www.christianevents.ie from time to time.

I've provided a basic template below of the format that people should use if posting details. Hopefully this should ensure that all the basic info is provided.

Title:

Time: (Date and time)

Location: (Google Maps might be useful if the location is not obvious)

Description: (Event blurb)

Additional info: (Info on speakers, organisations, etc.)

Cost:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

(I'll get the ball rolling)

Title: What is Evil? a lecture by Terry Eagleton

Time: 16th April, 12 - 2pm

Description: For many people, evil is an outmoded concept. It smacks too much of absolute judgements and metaphysical certainties to suit the modern age. In this talk, Terry Eagleton will launch a surprising defence of the reality of evil.

Eagleton will investigate the frightful plight of those doomed souls who apparently destroy for no reason. In the process, he poses a set of intriguing questions. Is evil really a kind of nothingness? Why should it appear so glamorous and seductive? Why does goodness seem so boring? Is it really possible for human beings to delight in destruction for no reason at all?

Additional info: The speaker is literary critic Terry Eagleton. He first came to my attention after he wrote this review of The God Delusion.

Cost: Free but booking is essential (contact details given on website)

Another one...

Title: Short Course in Ireland: An Introduction to Science and Religion

Time: June 25-27, 2010

Description: This short weekend course is for busy people who would like to obtain a broad introductory overview of the science-religion debate from leading speakers in the field, covering topics such as the historical background to the debate, philosophical approaches to relate science and faith, the anthropic principle, evolution, medical ethics, and scientific and theological issues surrounding natural disasters. There will be plenty of opportunity for interactions with speakers during the periods set aside for questions and discussion. Topics covered

* Dr Denis Alexander : Creation or Evolution: Do We Have to Choose?
    * Revd Dr Rodney Holder FIMA FRAS: Is the Universe Designed?
    * Prof. David Livingstone OBE FBA: Darwin's Forgotten Defenders
    * Prof. Ernan McMullin : Galileo and the Church
    * Dr Donal O'Mathuna : Medical Ethics and What it Means to be Human
    * Prof. Bob White FRS: Are Natural Disasters Acts of God?
    * Prof. Stephen Williams : Science, Faith and Reason

Additional info: See website for individual biographies and shed loads of audio files from previous lectures and courses.

Cost: Fees shown are an all-inclusive package that includes: all meals, including a gala dinner (with wine); accommodation; the course itself; and incidentals such as refreshments during breaks. The package fee is discounted according to circumstances:

* Category A = £55 (Full-Time Students, graduate or undergraduate)
    * Category B = £75 (University Post Docs within 5 years of PhD)
    * Category C = £110 (Standard)

Fees for local residents who require the meals and course package without the accommodation are as follows:

* Category A = £30 (Full-Time Students, graduate or undergraduate)
    * Category B = £40 (University Post Docs within 5 years of PhD)
    * Category C = £60 (Standard)

Please note that the fees are in pounds sterling.

Website: http://graphite.st-edmunds.cam.ac.uk/faraday/Short_course.php?Type=New&CourseID=32

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 madman777

MAD 2010 is Ireland’s live Christian rock festival…:cool:
    Sunday 20 June 2010,
    2.00 – 10.00pm
    Glenealy, Co. Wicklow

GREAT SOUNDS: YFRIDAY I]rock in from UK[/I, Dublin Gospel Choir I]sound of power[/I,
    L Z 7 I]hi octane rap ‘n roll[/I, Shell Perris I]girl more than rocks[/I,
    Rend Collective Experiment I]sound for now[/I, Tom+Olly [fun, fresh, jumpin'], Worship Central Band I]praise for real people[/I … and more.

GREAT DAY: Top bands, straight talk and testimony…will definitely Make A Difference.

GREAT PLACE: Glenealy, Co. Wicklow with Big Top, MAD Café tent, covered children’s area and free parking. Picnic, chat ‘n chill.

GREAT VALUE:
    > Tickets €25…ONLY €20 if you buy before 28 May on www.mad2010.com.
    > Buy 6 tickets – get one free.
    > Children under 12 free with paying adult.

For tickets or more information - www.mad2010.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

Scripture Union is having a "free family fun day" next Sunday, May 16th at their Outdoor Adventure Centre outside Avoca Village

Might be a nice afternoon out..

Details here, but the pdf is kinda large:
    http://www.scriptureunion.ie/pdfs/Big_Day_Out.pdf

Directions from Dublin here:
    http://www.scriptureunion.ie/Ovoca/directions1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

Urban Soul is running an "Urban Legends" Football tournament on May 29th

http://www.urbansoul.eu/

http://www.urbansoul.eu/news

• Advertisement

BTW, just to bump the Faraday course mentioned above. Application closes on the 28th, so get booking if you are thinking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭smurfhousing

Rally for Life

Saturday 3rd July 2010 @ 2pm

Meeting at Custom House Square, Belfast

This summer, the most important date on the pro-life calendar is July 3rd. That’s when we hope you join with thousands of others to speak up for the right to life.

Ireland - north and south - is one of the last remaining places in Europe where abortion is still illegal. But our unborn children are under threat. Powerful pro-abortion campaigners in Ireland, the UK, European Union and United Nations are attacking our pro-life laws. That’s why it’s so important we show our opposition to abortion. On July 3rd, lets do that.

You can also:
    - Encourage your Church / Prayer Group to attend the Rally for Life
    - Distribute Rally for Life leaflets in your community
    - Organise a bus from your area to the Rally for Life

More info: http://rallyforlife.net/Belfast2010.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

http://www.knock-shrine.ie/youthfestival/

Knock Fest 2010

The dates have been set for this years festival. The festival will take place June 25th-June 27th.

Why Would I Go To The Knock Summer Festival?
    Because you wanna do something different. You want a weekend out. You need a break. You wanna meet new people. You wanna have some fun. You want to take part in workshops like dance, music, clay & pottery and drumming. You wanna see what God has in store for you. You wanna get back on track.You wanna explore, question, ignite and celebrate your faith. You wanna feel the buzz of 500-600 other young people who wanna do the same thing as you. Thats why!!

Book Your Place Now For One Of The Best Weekends Of The Summer....

This will be the 9th year the festival will take place. We have changed the date this year to give more people an opportunity to come and expereince the festival.

We have big plans for this year again, we have a great line up of speakers including Andrew O Connell, Sr Helen Prejean (Author of 'dead man walking') Brian Mc Kee and many more. There will be workshops on drum, dance, music and clay and pottery. There will also be smaller talks called 'food for thought' on subjects such as struggles with faith, love & relationships, scripture and more.
    Elation ministries will be playing throughout the weekend, Psalm drummers and Donking dancers will also be performing.
    The festival is really an opportunity to come away for a weekend and expereince something different. It gives people an opportunity to explore, question, ignite and celebrate their faith.
    Alot of people might get worried i've never been at anything like this before but i would like to go, or maybe you have no one to go with you. DON'T let that stop you!! Give us a call and we'll fill you in on what will be happening over the weekend 0876927850
    Keep an eye on this page for more updates.
    The atmostphere in the chill out marquee was relaxed and welcoming. The weekend overall was one to be remembered.

"It was great!! Countin down till next year already!!" says one festival goer.
    "I had a brilliant time at the Youth festival. I will definitely be back again next year" said another.
    Visit us on Facebook

Watch this space for info on The Knock Summer Youth Festival 2010!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

Title: Life in the Spirit Seminars

Time: Friday nights, starting June 11th, 7.45

Location: Little Flower Hall, beside Holy Redeemer R.C. Church, Main St, Bray

Description: 7 evenings in total - a chance for us to deepen our relationship with God.

Additional info: There will be an inspirational speaker each week, and also a chance to chat briefly in small groups. Everyone welcome.

Cost: Free (there will be an 'offering bag' if people would like to contribute something to defray the costs)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Youth for Christ's Project 32 starts this weekend. Teams will be going out all over Ireland North and South, doing things from Kid's clubs to street work etc

http://projectthirtytwo.com/

I'm heading up a team in Galway, we'll be out on the streets, playgrounds and beaches.

And then

handsinairsmall.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 UCC Philosoph

Title: That this house would arrest the Pope ; debate hosted by UCC Philosophical Society

Time:
    Monday 27th September, 19.30

Description: As we come to terms with the recent findings of the reports into child abuse in religious institutions across Ireland and indeed the world, we must ask how this could have happened and where does the blame lie? Did Pope Benedict shelter serial offenders and attempt to perserve the untarnished image of the Catholic Church? Or is he the Pope he promised he would be, a man intent on clearing the Church of its bad apples at any cost? Should he bear responsibility for promoting a culture of secrecy and blind obedience among his followers, or would his arrest do more harm than good to efforts to rid the Church of abusers? Following on from his visit to Britain, we ask whether we should put the leader of the largest Christian denomination in handcuffs and read him his rights?

Additional info: Speakers include: Proposition

Michael Nugent

Michael Nugent is an Irish writer and activist. He has written or co-written five books and the comedy musical play I, Keano. He has campaigned on many political issues, and he is chairperson of the advocacy group for an ethical and secular Ireland, Atheist Ireland. He writes a blog about happiness and atheism.

Kevin Annett

Annett has written two books on the subject of residential school abuse in Canada. The first, Hidden from History: The Canadian Holocaust, was published in two editions: 2001, and 2005. The second, Love and Death in the Valley, was published in 2002.[4] In 2006, Kevin produced a documentary on this topic: Unrepentant: Kevin Annett and Canada's Genocide which won the 2006 award for 'Best Director' at the New York International Independent Film & Video Festival. He is currently giving a presentation at the United Nations.

In opposition...

Jack Valero

A spokesperson for Opus Dei, and the co-ordinator of Catholic Voices. Valero is heavily involved in the campaign to celebrate the Pope's visit to Britain and defend him from controversy.

Cost: Free, just show up on the night. Early arrival is reccommended as a full house is expected.

E-mail for more information:
    publicrelations@uccphilosoph.com

Advertisement