Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading PS3 Hard Drive.

Options
  • 07-04-2010 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

I have an 80gb (fat) PS3 and the inevitable is finally happening, my hard drive is finally getting full, I have about 5gb of free space left. Now I know I could just delete some saves, etc. but that's just gonna get annoying.

So I'm just wondering has anyone upgraded to a bigger hard drive themselves? I know it's a relatively easy process but just wondering if any hard drive would do, i.e. from an old laptop or external hard drive. Or is there a specific hard drive that is compatible with the PS3?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It has to be a 2.5" sata drive with a maximum height of 9mm (some have a height of 12.5mm which won't fit but they are rare). You should be able to get a 500GB one for ubder €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Thanks for that. I'll have a look around and see what i can find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Western Digital Scorpio 320GB is pretty much the drive of choice.

Larger drives can cause issues for some, as can 7200rpm drives, so you're better off just sticking with a 320GB model imo (unless you really really need all that extra space...)

Actually fitting it is a piece of piss, but be careful when removing the screws! (they're made of butter!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I've this WD 500gb one in mine. Works like a charm and seems to be a very popular choice for those who do go ahead and upgrade. Upgrade process is very straightforward.

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/11_HDD/06_INTHD25/productdetails/20000013/WD_Scorpio_Blue_WD5000BEVT_Hard_drive_500_GB_-/WD5000BEVT/default.aspx

Just looking at a 320gb drive from Peats for 69.99. Would this work ok?

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=21069&sid=14&cid=116&scid=305

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=21069&sid=14&cid=116&scid=305
    It doesn't say the height but I imagine it's standard height. If so it'll work fine.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Yes.

As has already been stated, BE CAREFUL WITH THE SCREWS.

F1ngers wrote: »
    Yes.

As has already been stated, BE CAREFUL WITH THE SCREWS.

Have to re-iterate this. Those screws suck balls. I nearly rounded the crap out of a few of them when I was upgrading mine.

Yes.

BE CAREFUL WITH THE SCREWS.

Nice one, I've heard the screws for the Hard Drive are pretty soft alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭penguinpoppers

I wish someone had warned me about the screws! I upgraded to a 500GB and after casually securing the new harddrive I noticed the screw driver was spinning without getting any grip. Im 90% ill need pliers and alot of force if I ever want to get that harddrive back out. BE CAREFUL!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

ive 160gb internal hdd and a 1tb external hdd connected to my ps3 , its all the space i need

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Buy a 2.5 Sata HDD case aswell so you can use your 80GB HDD as an external drive with your PC or PS3. This is wot I did

You would want a size 0 philips/pozi screwdriver to open them screws without rounding them

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

My only problem with the upgrade was that the lads/machine who put the screws in did the job too well, I had to bring the hard drive into town to get the bracket removed they were in so tight. And also, the treads are now mangled.

Upgraded to a WD 250Gb, good investment. It means a hell of a lot more enjoyment when you don't have to worry about the game installs or saved files clogging up the HD.

Ok so my new 320gb WD hard drive is ordered and on the way but i have one quick question before i back up my ps3 files onto my external hard drive.

Does the hard drive to which I back up my files have to be totally empty or is it ok if there is stuff already on it - ie. movies, music, pictures.
    The external hard drive i'm using is already in FAT32 format by the way

Ok so my new 320gb WD hard drive is ordered and on the way but i have one quick question before i back up my ps3 files onto my external hard drive.

Does the hard drive to which I back up my files have to be totally empty or is it ok if there is stuff already on it - ie. movies, music, pictures.
    The external hard drive i'm using is already in FAT32 format by the way

I backed mine up on my ipod, full of songs.
    I know it's a different backup device from what you are using, but iirc, it created it's own folder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

I have upgraded to a 500gb Samsung hard drive last year. Brilliant for media I have my whole collection on there (over 350 movies tons of music and my entire photo collection. I reserved 10gb for linux but the feckers put out a new release which means I can load it on now.

Overall the ps3's browser could be updated a bit more and maybe a few apps invented to get the most out of an already enjoyable machine!

I have a bluetooth keyboard with built in mouse for surfing the net which is good (i was using a wireless mouse and keyboard seperates which was ****!!)

Changing the drive was a piece of piss. took me a little bit to prepare the drive but apart from that it was easy! Any help needed just ask!

Cheers for all the feedback guys. I have successfully upgraded my PS3 with a Western Digital 320gb hard drive. The only slight problem i had was the damn blue screw holding in the hard drive. But a pliers and some patience worked...now it's flying.

The only weird thing was, I had an 80gb hard drive originally and was just about full, but when i put in my new 320gb hard drive, it said i only had 200gb free space. I know that a 320gb drive only actually has 298gb of memory, but what happened to the missing 18gb???? :confused:

Cheers for all the feedback guys. I have successfully upgraded my PS3 with a Western Digital 320gb hard drive. The only slight problem i had was the damn blue screw holding in the hard drive. But a pliers and some patience worked...now it's flying.

The only weird thing was, I had an 80gb hard drive originally and was just about full, but when i put in my new 320gb hard drive, it said i only had 200gb free space. I know that a 320gb drive only actually has 298gb of memory, but what happened to the missing 18gb???? :confused:

That's reserved specifically for OtherOS...:p

Well that's odd becasue didn't the last software update (before 3.30 - the Trophy update, 2.21 i think) remove the use of other OS on the PS3?

It is reserved for running the system. I know thats a basic answer but thats just it. Its needed for playing games and playing hd movies etc. Its same as virtual memory.

• Advertisement

You could only reserve up to 10gb before the new update... 18gb is used for virtual memory

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Cheers for the usual information guys. I must put a new drive into mine also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Would anyone recommend a shop in Dublin City Centre, preference North of the Liffey that can do this upgrade? As easy as you all make it sound just dont' trust myself to do it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Seriously you can't really go wrong with this upgrade, check some youtube video's aswell just to see how easy it is....

Would anyone recommend a shop in Dublin City Centre, preference North of the Liffey that can do this upgrade? As easy as you all make it sound just dont' trust myself to do it.....

If you are careful with the screws, you can do it. Waste of money paying someone to do it for you.

Have a look here: .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I recently upgraded mine to a 320GB and believe me it was easy. It only took about 10-15 mins to do. Just as long as you have the right size screwdriver given the screws are so soft it's simple to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Cheers for the advice & youtube vid, we will give it a go next payday when I get d new hard drive....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Hi guy's I'm picking myself up the 320gb hard drive today. The only thing that concerns me is backing up my data. i.e I don't know how to do this.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction. Cheers.

Ian.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Do you have an external HDD that you can connect to the PS3? Either USB-powered or plug-powered? Does it get picked up by the PS3 when you connect it? Is it as large [in MB etc.] or larger than the current PS3 HDD?

If so, simply plug in the HDD and connect it to the PS3. Go to the Settings section of the XMB, scroll down to System Settings and again scroll down to Back-Up System [or something like that] then follow the instructions to back-up your data.

Once the new HDD has been installed and formatted, connect up the external HDD, go to the same area as before but select the Restore option and it should automagically detect the restore file.

EDIT: What make and model is the new HDD? Have you made sure it works with the PS3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Otacon wrote: »
    Do you have an external HDD that you can connect to the PS3? Either USB-powered or plug-powered? Does it get picked up by the PS3 when you connect it? Is it as large [in MB etc.] or larger than the current PS3 HDD?

If so, simply plug in the HDD and connect it to the PS3. Go to the Settings section of the XMB, scroll down to System Settings and again scroll down to Back-Up System [or something like that] then follow the instructions to back-up your data.

Once the new HDD has been installed and formatted, connect up the external HDD, go to the same area as before but select the Restore option and it should automagically detect the restore file.

EDIT: What make and model is the new HDD? Have you made sure it works with the PS3?

Well i was just going to pop around to petes in dublin on my lunch break and have a chat with them.

Advertisement