Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dun Na Coiribe

• 02-04-2010 4:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

About four of us are looking to get a house here for next year. Anybody know when a good time to try get a place is? Anybody live there previously able to tell us how they got their house?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

because Dun na coiribe aren't student houses and apartments really you may have to wait til late july/early august before you can look for anything, as they are rented out all year round by workers or postgrads and such. But with the volume of students that do live there i'd say a lot of them are empty a lot and if you do look when i said you should find one no problem, the only hard part might be trying to find one with 4 bedrooms free for ye!

Its a lovely spot tho and well worth looking at:)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

About 4 of us looking for a house in Dun aswell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭MissMiami

My friends got a house in Dun for last year after they saw it advertised in early June last summer so I'd say keep an eye out from maybe the end of May. Oh and it was a four bedroom house!

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

I'm hoping to live in this area too but unsure as to how many of us yet so can't look properly but I've seen some places on daft!

Is it mainly more older students that live round this area? We're all either final or PG students so looking for an area that is lively but not too lively if you understand!

Oh and how far is it from college/Cairnes?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

We ended up getting a place here with an 11 month lease starting next in July. Bit of a pain having it for 2 months outside of college time but it still works out cheaper than some student places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

Celtise wrote: »
    I'm hoping to live in this area too but unsure as to how many of us yet so can't look properly but I've seen some places on daft!

Is it mainly more older students that live round this area? We're all either final or PG students so looking for an area that is lively but not too lively if you understand!

Oh and how far is it from college/Cairnes?

Wouldn't say it's mainly older students around there, there are two 2nd years in our house.

It's really close to college, easy walk especially if ur at the top of Dún.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

Wouldn't say it's mainly older students around there, there are two 2nd years in our house.

It's really close to college, easy walk especially if ur at the top of Dún.

Oh cool really must get my act together and hopefully have my confirmation of my PG soon!

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Just a heads up to all ye Dun na Coiribe goers.
    [size=+2]Beware of Winters[/size]

My GF lived in Dun 2 years ago. It was managed by Winters, but when I say managed, I mean nothing of the sort. It was one of those apartments they have, one apartment on the bottom, one upstairs. Ive no idea what the apartment blocks are like.

Upon further inspection (after moving in) a few door handles were falling off. Nothing major but it took a few months for winters to "fix" them.... the broke again shortly after.
    The washing machine never really worked, and jammed with clothes in it several times, in the 9 months they were there, winters sent out a guy once, who did nothing. Complain and complain, but winters never replaced the washing machine.
    The freezer froze over constantly, bad seals everywhere.
    The balcony doors let in gusts of air, whilst being closed.
    The "double" bed was infact 2 singles put together, one of which couldnt stand up on its own.
    The oven shook the house, it sounded like a drill.
    The downstairs toilet always smelt of smoke, and gurgled every now and then.

After numerous calls to winters to fix all the problems, they did nothing. By chance we bumped into someone last week who lives there now, nothing has changed.

That said, the houses (towards the back) seem nice. My GF is living there now and cant complain. Its not run by an agency and everything is top notch.

Happy hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sully0182

has anyone got accomodation here yet? or is it still too early? i've looked online and the rent seems a bit steep (400/month) in the few that are available. does anyone know if this is the usual case or can you get cheaper in dun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Lormcd

In my experience that price sounds about right for Dun, depending on how many you're sharing with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭RichCRX

lived here last year.Good spot for college with about a 13 minute walk to Cairnes building i'd say. We got ours in late enough september as we left it a bit too late to look. I reckon advertiser and daft in august will find ya one or if ya hang on a little later you'l probably still get something.

If your unlucky enough however you may be living next to working people and therefore your social activites will not go unoticed and you may get a few letters from Winters. The walls are usually paper thin and a simple rasp of a chair leg on tiles can be heard at 3 o'clock at night in the apartments so if your unlucky enough to be beside picky neighbours then you will get letters.

All in all a great place to live but not overly party place as the norm student campuses so don't expect it to be and dont try and make it like that cause there will be complaints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I lived in Dun and I did like it. However as someone who has lived pretty much all around this city I would say you could do better. The standard of the places in Dun is actually pretty poor. They look nice but when you get down to it everything about them was done on the cheap. Beds are cheap, cabinets are cheap, washer/dryer is a cheap piece of crap etc.

If you have a car or are willing to travel I would suggest living somewhere like Lough Atalia, the apartments are built to a much higher standard. Rent prices have fallin in the last few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭telepylus

or ya could get a place in newcastle, you could probably get a house cheaper than dun na coiribe and just as close to college. i dont know if they are storage heating or not, but storage heaters are terrible and ya can generally get oil etc in newcastle. the houses are older, and often better built than a lot of the apartments around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

They are storage alright

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I lived in Dun and I did like it. However as someone who has lived pretty much all around this city I would say you could do better. The standard of the places in Dun is actually pretty poor. They look nice but when you get down to it everything about them was done on the cheap. Beds are cheap, cabinets are cheap, washer/dryer is a cheap piece of crap etc.

If you have a car or are willing to travel I would suggest living somewhere like Lough Atalia, the apartments are built to a much higher standard. Rent prices have fallin in the last few months.

Yea thats a pretty accurate description of the place. I lived in the apartment block and the townhouses, both are furnished exactly the same. They were built to be rented out so as youd expect the cheapest of everyhing went into them. I even had to fix a lightswitch myself because it was sparking :eek:

Dun is a great spot tho, Its quiet yet theres still plenty of young people around, your close to everything and theres loads of parking. Id say check out castlelawn hights aswell. Rent wise there are a bit cheaper(you could probably haggle a bit too!) and you wont have too much farther to walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I lived in Dun one Summer, lots of working people there too, very handy though as close to town and college too. Not the best quality though, really are falling apart! A house in Newcastle would be better in my opinion, or even an apartment in town, depends if you have a car how far out you can live.

Advertisement