Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving a garden shed

Options
  • 30-03-2010 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Need to move a wooden garden shed, it's 10ft x 8ft approx, need to move it about 25-30ft to the opposite corner at the back of the garden it's current position just beyond the end of the side access (about 8ft from the house)

Any suggestions as to how to shift it? Obviously empty first, but has anyone had to do similar before? Can a person at each corner pick it up and move it? Using skateboards or something with wheels was suggested to me, but the whole garden is grassed at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Of course, I could also google "Moving a garden shed" and see what comes up! :)

A suggestion was to use 4" round posts and roll the shed along them.

I then saw a video on youtube where a guy had managed to get wheels under the shed (no indication as to how though) and started thinking about a couple of wheel barrow wheels, a length of box section steel and a couple of welds here and there to make outrider wheels with the box section screwed into the base.

Then i went back to youtube, saw a video of someone moving a shed using 4" pvc piping as rollers, and realised I was over-engineering the problem and using rollers (wooden or pvc) would do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

If you lay the concrete blocks level in the new position (new blocks needed for this) empty out the shed and then get a load of your friends over and ye will be able to lift the shed over. You need at least 6 friends to do this. I have done this before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 andykells

Agree with above. You will be able to lift it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I used the round post method. I didnt even have to empty the shed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Need2Know4Sure

If you are going to lift just check the floor for anu rotting first.

Probably want to check for it anyway or might end up with holes in your floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If you are on your own and stuck, take it apart. The walls and roof are just generally nailed together. Start with the roof and then the walls, but i'd lift it if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

if posible to get a loan of a couple of pallet trucks, like what they use on trucks and in warehouses and jack it up and move it along with those

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

if posible to get a loan of a couple of pallet trucks, like what they use on trucks and in warehouses and jack it up and move it along with those

Only if you are on flat concrete. It will fail completely in grass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

If you use wavin pipes or the like, watch out for the orientation of the floor supports, or you may find the roolers fall between them and the drop could do harm. If you get a few sturdy lengths of timber, 4x4s, you could use them as skids and just push the shed across them. The shed would need to be in sound condition though. You could use a timber as a lever to push the shed, but may leave divots in the lawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

i recently (last weekend) moved a 6ft by 4ft shed, was originally going to dismantle it and move it, but after i had the roof off i found it difficult to unskrew the screw holding the side together, so thought s0d it - would move it as it stood

now the shed started next to the sliding back doors and ended up going over a three foot wall up to the garden and then 30ft across to the top of the garden on the opposite corner, and this was up a slope with about a 4ft difference, and i did it by myself - how

well being 20 stone and and ex rugby player/american footballer/regular gym goer helped - i manged to basically "gently" flip the shed up over the wall and then get it back the right way up, i then put a long extendable ladder out to cover about 20 ft, got the shed on top of the ladder and pushed it up the hill and to near it's resting place, then dragged it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Moved a shed on my own with two round logs, surprisingly easy
    Levered it up with a steel tube (or u could use a car jack, mechanical or hydraulic, just put a plank under it to spread the load on the ground) and pushed a block under it with my foot, then pushed the log in.
    I suggest levering or jacking at the mid point of one end/side (depending which way you want to rill it) not a corner.
    once one log is in can get the other in handy. Roll it around.

I was thinking of putting wheels on a length of wood stick it under the middle of the shed like an axle and move it around the garden like a trailer

Might be easier to move if u empty some stuff, I had no problem but I did envision taking a picture of the aftermath where the shed collapsed never happened tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Just thought I'd post back with progress. Moved the shed last week along with brother and father.

Went fairly straightforward, pushing it on the rollers was quite easy, only (mildly) difficult bit was getting it off the blocks it was resting on and onto the rollers (it was up quite high to be level with a concrete path) and then back off and onto blocks again when in position (slightly uneven ground)

Used a couple of 8 ft lengths as levers to shift it around and onto rollers.

Advertisement