Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby's Cot Plans

Options
  • 29-03-2010 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a couple of windows which were taken out of the house and replaced with PVC ones - They are maghony and in fairly good nick. I've been thinking about something to make out of them and thought of maybe making a babys cot but where can i get plans. I haven't make anything in about 15years since the leaving cert when I made a pretty good coffee table out of oak. So if you can point me in the right direction or have other suggestions what to make it'd be appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

How are you going to cut the window frames up? With a bandsaw or on a table saw? Any ideas how you are going to bring the timber to the correct dimensions (with a hand plane or a surface thicknesser?) Not sure where you can get plans but I reckon if you ask nicely in the nursery department in a shop they might let you measure one so you can design your own cot from there

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Radiotower

Think I found what i'm looking for here http://www.leeswoodprojects.com/baby_cradle.html

Suppose its more a cradle than a cot.
    The prob I have is I'll be cutting the window frame through a bench saw, so none of my pieces will be wide enough to form the two ends (the head and toe board parts). I'll have to have a look for them elsewhere.

Sure glue enough of them together wide enough to make a panel for the two ends. Have you a biscuit jointer?

Yeah, just realised i could do that when looking at this site http://www.binkyswoodworking.com/BeckysCradle.php

Overall, a simpler plan, although I can't get proper plans for it, so I think I'll draw up my own plans.

Don't have a biscuit jointer but could dowel and glue them together

Ya dowels and glue will work fine. Have you a jointer to straighten the edges up so there is an invisible joint line when you glue it up? You can do it with a hand plane also.

• Advertisement

I have a hand plane alright.

Basically all the equipment is at my home place down the country - my father was a carpenter, he's retired now, I live in Dublin but out of work at the minute so looking for a project to keep me occupied while looking for a job. I'm going down for the long weekend so I'll have to sus out everything. Looking forward to getting into it and hopefully get to post of pic of it here after

Well if your looking to occupy your time what better way is there then to prepare all your timber by hand with a hand plane. Ya pics will be nice to show off your skills to everyone here in the woodcraft fourm.

Eventually got it finished - got a job in the mean time but its finished now.

Take a look...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Nice bit of work there! Fair play to you!! Hard to believe that it was once window frames!! :)

Thanks Croppy - had planned to make a few other things cos I've plenty of frames but dont have the time at the minute with work, enjoyed making it and very happy with the results

• Advertisement

Thats a fine job! I would never have guessed that it was made from window frames. What finish did u apply to it?

I used Tung Oil - 4 coats seemed to be enough - it wasn't soaking it up after that - sanded down to 240 grit before 1st coat - hoovered all the fine dust up and used a dusting cloth to make sure there was no particles left on it. Then used 600 grit and steel wool between coats and used the dusting cloth again to remove any fines. Really pleased with how it turned out - feels really smooth.

My uncle had a plane thicknesser so I was able to run all the pieces through it after I had cut the frames up and dowelled together the pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 silvershark

Nice piece of work there Radiotower.
    Did it take you long?

I can't honestly say how many hours it took because I was only doing it when I was down home from Dublin, I had done fairly detailed drawings on CAD so I knew what I was doing inside out. I had it well thought out which is the only way to go I'm now convinced, I wouldnt have the skill to just have the plan in my head.

I spent alot of time sanding it, maybe it just seems like the most time because it's so boring. I also spent alot of time doing practice runs with the router and other tools as I hadn't made anything in so long.

Out of work again so have a few things lined up to make but probably nothing as big as crib.

Advertisement