Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a VPN connection on a router

Options
  • 28-03-2010 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

I've got a VPN account at UKiVPN which lets me watch BBC iPlayer on my computer.

I would like to set this up on a router on my home LAN so that whatever device is plugged into this router sends all traffic through the VPN. I've got a freesat pvr box that will use iplayer but there are no options to use a proxy/vpn on the box.

I'm sure this can be done but have no clue how to set it up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭emaherx

Not sure that you will be able to do that on a standared router.
    As that service probably requires their own client software. A work around may be to install a second network card in a PC and use internet connection sharing.

I have a Sony Bravia with FreeSat Built in. Although I haven't tried to get the iPlayer working yet I intend to very shortly using this method. The TV is DLNA compliant and over the week end I setup HULU and other US based TV sites using PlayOn. And got it to work using Hotspot shield (US VPN) using the method described above.

how do you find UKiVPN for reliability? I might try this service myself for iPlayer as they provide UK and US IP's

I'm also interested if someone has a router based solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

I've done a little more research and have learned that some routers have VPN functionality built-in. I've also read about Tomato. http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Tomato_(firmware) . Some versions have a VPN client built-in.

I've found UKiVPN to be fine so I'm really hoping I can figure out how to setup an always on connection. Any shows I want to watch/download work fine, Spotify works fine.

I have an old Zyxel router which has a VPN client but none of the settings appear to map to the settings I was given for my UKiVPN account.

So I might have to take a punt on buying a router onto which I can install Tomato and see if the settings can be input.

I've mailed UKiVPN to see if they have information, I'm sure I'm not the first who has wanted to use their VPN in this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭emaherx

yes, plenty of Routers have VPN software built in.
    But this service may not be compatible and may require their specific software.
    On the other hand try contacting them directly be Email.

oh and cheers for the info on the service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

It will still use an open standard - you can do this, just ask them what the settings are :-)
    They probably use OpenVPN.

Thanks, haven't had a response yet from the vpn supplier but the basic setup information I have includes the following for WinXP :
    Check the "Advanced (custom settings) box and hit "Settings"
    Under Data encryption: select "Require encryption (disconnect if server declines)"
    Select "Allow these protocols"
    Check only the "Microsoft CHAP Version 2[MS-CHAP v2]" box
    Under "Type of VPN:" select "PPTP VPN
    Check the following
    · Network Monitor Driver
    · Internal Protocol (TCP/IP)
    · QoS Packet Scheduler
    · File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
    · VMware Bridge Protocol

I have a server address (URL, not IP address) and a username + password
    Do these look like very basic, commonplace VPN settings ? Or does something look very propietary or likely not to be possible with something like OpenVPN (which seems to be available on Tomato)

I have other settings for Windows7 / Mac OSX / Linux but they don't include much more than the above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ohforiplayer

Hi,
    Did you get anywhere with this? I'm having the same problem trying to set up VPN client in Draytek router to connect to UKiVPN.

No I gave up and now have a PC underneath my TV. I keep a VPN connection live on that PC and run iPlayer/4OD/ITVplayer from there. Works a treat. An old Dell box and it makes use of that VGA connection on the TV.

Advertisement