Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lee Valley Scratch Cup

Options
  • 23-03-2010 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭

Anyone playing? Looks like a really good field. PaddyPower.com has odds too. Some pretty mad prices as far as I can see. How can Cutler be 4/1?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Cutler was 7/1 yesterday and Dunne has come in from 16/1 to 12s.

EW on Cutler is a great bet

Dunne in top 5 - 12/1 is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

I took Gorey e/w on home turf.
    Andrew Hogan doesn't seem to be in great form from what I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

backing 2 later on way home will let ye know later;)

power 100/1
    king 150/1

barry bournmann ronan twomey interesting ew prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭gorfield

soundsham wrote: »
    backing 2 later on way home will let ye know later;)

power 100/1
    king 150/1

barry bournmann ronan twomey interesting ew prices

Are you tommy tiernan in disguise????:D

Barry and bornemann both good top 5 bets.
    Ill give u 100x the prices for the others if u want.....

Laughing to myself hopefully on Sunday
    I watched shane there last year saw yourself too for a hole or 2
    I thought king did ok last year
    i know you were around top 5 yourself too 1 bad round or finish (17th maybe) if I remember
    anyway good luck to yourself would be happy to see the locals do well including the blow-ins:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Jasonw

is it over 4 rounds? might go on thursday and Friday if it is.

2 rounds sat and 1 sun last year think its the same,
    tune up for the west i think for some of the guys

soundsham wrote: »
    Laughing to myself hopefully on Sunday
    I watched shane there last year saw yourself too for a hole or 2
    I thought king did ok last year
    i know you were around top 5 yourself too 1 bad round or finish (17th maybe) if I remember
    anyway good luck to yourself would be happy to see the locals do well including the blow-ins:p

I finished 3rd last year, but for the 13th 7 5 5 over the three rds id have been home and dry.......Although my trusty caddy has banned my driver on the 13th this year soi might have a chance...:p We have pitched the tournament as a west warm up and this has really helped to generate a good field, and an early start sunday for the last rd gets guys home good and early so its been recieved very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Diageo1

Hi Lads,

Im travelling down from Dublin to play in this, Havnt played the course before and cant make a practice round so a few key points on the obvious would really help, Nothing too indept just top do's and dont's

From the previous posts I take it driver on 13 is a no no!!

don't play to your standard but I'd say 4 iron on the 1st and 10th leaves a wedge for the second. biting off more than you can chew is not worth the risk.

You MUST leave the ball below the hole on the 2nd. Deadly sloping green.

beware of the 9th. try to get your ball on the right level or the level below. You don't want to have to putt down a level or you could end up off the green.

they had the bruin there a couple of years ago and the rough had been grown very thick and tangly. Bit early in the year for it to be the same though.

The 13th is only a problem if you go too far right. You still need to be far enough out to give yourself a view of the green.

my 2c

• Advertisement

Diageo1 wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

Im travelling down from Dublin to play in this, Havnt played the course before and cant make a practice round so a few key points on the obvious would really help, Nothing too indept just top do's and dont's

From the previous posts I take it driver on 13 is a no no!!

1 st hole is about 220 down hill leaving a wedge
    2 you'll be cutting a bit off the corner
    3 elevated par 3 approx 200
    4 par 5 reachable depending on wind....i normally aim at left side of fairway & will kick across towards bunker on right
    5th long par 4(index 1) right side of fairway if your "brave" gives shortest route to big green sloping hugely back to front and left to right
    6 elevated par 3 approx 175
    7 nice long hole up the right with a tiny draw will give best drive
    8 par 5 on in 2 most times with prevailing wind
    9 3 tier green ,generally a lay up before the 2 bunkers and a 8i - wedge depending on pin green about 40y long and a bit narrow.....great hole imo
    10 similar to 1st except even more downhill
    11 longer par 5 rarely on
    12 elevated par 3 approx 210
    13th aim at skinny trees slightly right of palm trees(stay out of fairy fort),a tiny fade would give best results anything slicey is dodgey
    14th similar to 13 you'll see the pin at front of 13 to your right
    15 par 5 long hitters bomb away down right side with a touch of draw
    16 uphill par 3 170yds to very slopey green dont miss right
    17 drive up the right with a slight draw..but there is a bunker just beyond the 150 yd pole on that side,
    18 high hooky tee shot required, leaving shot to severly sloping green again

1st and 10th are generally irons off the tee,in case your 1st up at these,
    hope I'm not leading you too far astray,check with gorfield,
    pretty good srokesaver available before anyway,

i suggest slightly safer play off tee in 1st round at 2,13,14 & 18 as they are doglegs you'll see then what you can do after that depending on conditions,

general rule is keep the ball below all the pins there as all greens slope back to front with about 5-6 severely sloping

quite a few dog legs

Was there a handicap ballot to get in, or was it just 3 or better?

There was a hcap ballott, but 6 spots were reserved for invitations regardless of hcap.

As far as the course diageo1...

1. Its driver no matter what people say.....skirt the trees close to the tee with a big draw, loads of room around the green (ballspotters down there too)
    2. Driver as far right as you can imagine.....the green is nuts just keep it below the hole.

Oh- GPS units are permitted so if you have one itl be handy

9. Driver over or just left of the bunker, the green is too slopey to revieve a full shot so get close as u can to control the spin.

Apart from that, soundsham was spot on....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Diageo1

Lads, thanks a million for all the info....

Great help and should help make the weekend more enjoyable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 wannapress

you can use GPS does that also include range finders?

gorfield wrote: »
    There was a hcap ballott, but 6 spots were reserved for invitations regardless of hcap.

what was the ballott limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

PP offering refunds on all losing single bets if paul cutler wins. sounds good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Punchbowl4

heading down this weekend. looking forward to it, any idea how the course is shaping up? is it in good nick?

this time last year Shane Lowry was teeing it up,so good luck to all,who knows what will happen,
    Lee Valley one week to European Tour 20 weeks later

I wonder did not having a chance to defend weigh heavily on him while deciding to turn pro :p

any news on cut and scoring,
    hows it going for yourself gorfield, nice day for it ,say the course might have been a bit soft, was if preferred lies or how did they go

• Advertisement

went down for a look this morning. course is very soft and they were playing prefered, lies lift clean and drop in the rough. Don't know how the scoring was going as they were coming to the end of the first round. Some lad there said one of the guys was 5 under though. Greens looked in great condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mirrorball

Jasonw wrote: »
    went down for a look this morning. course is very soft and they were playing prefered, lies lift clean and drop in the rough. Don't know how the scoring was going as they were coming to the end of the first round. Some lad there said one of the guys was 5 under though. Greens looked in great condition.

I heard Paul Dunne shot 8 under for the first round.........anybody hear other scores?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Punchbowl4

Dunne shot 64 72.
    Rory Leonard shot 70 65.

i think they are way ahead on their own

any news of my 2 bets gorfield, I have em at 100 & 150 to 1(ew will do me) I know you said you'd multiply that by 100, how you doing top lee valley or what
    ?

Rory Leonard 70 65 72
    Paul dunne 64 72 74
    Dara Lernihan 74 71 69
    Joe Lyons 67 75 73
    Tom cleary 71 71 74
    Andrew Hogan 71 71 75

I managed 15 birdies over the 3 rds but some wild tee shots ended my weekend. Sham your bets were as predicted.....a waste of well earned money!

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Rory Leonard 70 65 72
    Paul dunne 64 72 74
    Dara Lernihan 74 71 69
    Joe Lyons 67 75 73
    Tom cleary 71 71 74
    Andrew Hogan 71 71 75

I managed 15 birdies over the 3 rds but some wild tee shots ended my weekend. Sham your bets were as predicted.....a waste of well earned money!

Thats great shooting.

Rory Leonard 70 65 72
    Paul dunne 64 72 74
    Dara Lernihan 74 71 69
    Joe Lyons 67 75 73
    Tom cleary 71 71 74
    Andrew Hogan 71 71 75

not quite well earned but wasted:o,
    I heard sunday morning Pat King was leading Lee Valley man after sat,did you beat him,
    what did you shoot in the 3 rounds ?

off to the west next?....... who do you fancy in that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

slumped wrote: »
    Dunne in top 5 - 12/1 is good too.

Not to brag, but got Dunne at 16/1 ew. Nice!

Alan Dunbar at 20/1 is a sound EW bet for the West of Ireland.

Rory Leonard (obviously in form) at 50/1 is worth a euro ew also me thinks.

Advertisement