Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycleway from Newport to Mulranny

Options
  • 22-03-2010 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Does anyone know the status of this track? Is it open? Would it suit a road bike?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mayo wheeler

As far as I understand the greenway will be ready after 15th april for public use. Its suited for all push bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

Thanks. Is the 'greenway' the name of the track. Do you know who has direct responsibility for the build - i'd like to contact them. I want to take the track about Easter weekend but it seems i may be a bit early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Justo

I just did a google on the Path (greenway seems to be a name given to this type of use of old Railtracks) and there are plenty of photos of people using it. So offically as in No Politico has claimed he built it by cutting the ribbon it may not be open.
    Hotel in mulrannyis listing it in its activities. I would say go for it and enjoy easter in Mayo

Have just spoken to someone who rode to Newport and back 2 weeks ago while staying in Mulranny

excellent - i was probably being a bit careful but i didnt want to turn up and find it impassible.

i'll post some pics here when i get back so others can get an idea.

p.s. i did some googleing too but found it a bit hard to get info. developments like this should be publicised widely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dabbotscrosier

Justo
    cycled this last weekend with girlfriend. bit rough coming out of newport out by the glebe but well worth a look. lots of gates on the route at present which have to be dismounted at to open and close but the plans are to replace these with grids.
    surface is prob sound for road bike. i had the grandfathers old 70s dawes town bike out on it. i love that bike. old but a beauty. if you brought a hardtail you could verge off at derradagh and take in some of the loop walks which i think the bald monk linked to here some time ago. should get it on a search. views across clew bay out top clare island and over to the reek/ croagh patrick are a must see. even if it will invariably be raining!
    would highly recomend donig this if your down in west mayo.

• Advertisement

great. thanks for the update.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I think it was mentioned that this is now open on another thread (?), here's some more details...

Mulranny-Newport Greenway ‘a vision of the future’ - Mayo News

A related press release from the Department of Transport:
    Press release Friday 16 April 2010

New cycling and walking route for County Mayo
    Minister Dempsey officially opens the Newport to Mulranny Greenway
    A new €1.6 million off-road cycling and walking route, was officially opened today by the Minister for Transport, Noel Dempsey TD. The 17.5km route was developed by Mayo County Council and is located along the line of the former Midland Great Western Railway line. The route was funded primarily by the Department of Transport, with additional monies made available through Fáilte Ireland and the Department of Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.

The new route was developed in an effective partnership by Mayo County Council with local landowners and community groups and delivered within six months. It is an excellent example of Government Departments, agencies, local authority and the local community working together. In particular, the local landowners along the route of abandoned rail line deserve credit for their central role in the project. It is their vision and generosity that resulted in the delivery of this world-class cycle route.

There is further potential to develop the route from Mulranny to Achill Sound and from Newport to Westport, which would increase the route to 42km resulting in a route of international significance, that takes in some of the most scenic locations along the western Atlantic and linking the route to Westport town itself.

Speaking today Minister Dempsey said: “I believe that the Newport-Mulranny route offers a vision of the future. People from all over Ireland can make use of this world-class route and I am sure it will act as a catalyst for other routes to be developed all across the country. Not only will this remove the barriers in peoples’ minds when it comes to cycling, it will greatly increase the attractiveness of Ireland as a tourism destination, and create jobs in local economies.”

Ethna Murphy, head of Leisure Tourism at Fáilte Ireland welcomed the new route, saying: “The development of this quality cycling infrastructure will ensure that all in the region are in a position to capitalise on this lucrative market, in addition to adding value to the domestic holiday experience. Holidaymakers, engaging in active pursuits in Ireland, spent more than €1 billion in 2008 with almost a million overseas visitors engaging in activities such as walking, cycling, equestrian pursuits and water based activities. These were high value overseas tourists generating spend levels 40% higher than the average visitor.”

The Minister concluded by highlighting the important role of local landowners in facilitating the delivery of this world-class route. He said: “Without the commitment and goodwill of local landowners, this project would not have progressed beyond a line on a map. This goodwill means that one of the best leisure amenities in our country is right on your doorstep. It also means that many other people will get to experience the beautiful landscape of the area as they cycle and enjoy the new route.”

ENDS

Editors:
    The development of a National Cycle Network is identified in the Department of Transport's National Cycle Policy Framework as one of the necessary steps to establishing a culture of cycling in Ireland. The policy framework was developed by external international experts on cycling. It highlights the need to provide cycling routes in both the urban and rural areas if we are to ensure that more people use cycling as their transport mode of choice. The development of such a cycle network will also contribute to the Government's strategy to combat obesity and promote active living.

The Newport to Mulranny route was identified by Fáilte Ireland as an important part of a cycling route linking Achill with Westport. The new route adds to a comprehensive range of recreational walks throughout the country to suit all ages and fitness levels, from long distance walks on our network of National Waymarked Ways to shorter looped walks and forestry walks and even Slí Na Sláinte strolls to help keep your heart healthy.

The implementation of the National Countryside Recreation Strategy, involving Fáilte Ireland, the Department of Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs, the National Trails Office, Coillte and other key stakeholders has seen very significant progress in the development of the walking product. This includes over 170 Looped Walks throughout the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭annR

We'll be in Westport for a week in May and I definitely want to do this. We won't bring our own bikes though as I'm a newbie and we have no car rack. Also have smallie and very bulky to bring child seat. I'm hoping that there is some way to rent bikes down there. There is a bike rental place in Westport but I don't know if they will then bring the bikes to the trail for us. Thoughts? Anyone who was there notice any bike rental facilities?

annR wrote: »
    We'll be in Westport for a week in May and I definitely want to do this. We won't bring our own bikes though as I'm a newbie and we have no car rack. Also have smallie and very bulky to bring child seat. I'm hoping that there is some way to rent bikes down there. There is a bike rental place in Westport but I don't know if they will then bring the bikes to the trail for us. Thoughts? Anyone who was there notice any bike rental facilities?

I have been meaning to write a trip report but have not found the time to get around to it just yet.

The track is open and I can not recommend it strongly enough and in fact is the perfect place to bring children as it is (bar one exception) well off the road. The track is of the finest quality and the workmanship that went into the whole thing is really top class. There are even a few (very well made) picnic benches along the way. As it happens I did spot a poster for bike rental in Newport itself although I did not record the details. I would say if you asked around you could find it. The track starts about a km out of town on the Achill rd. My only critisism is the final section in Mulranny where there is a bit of an eye sore house and field full of crap and a really steep unmarked deline which could end up in a spill.

Justo thanks for that. I've done a bit of a search and the only bike hire I can find on line is either in Westport or in Keel. But maybe in May there will be something else seasonal set up near the trail.

• Advertisement

Justo thanks for that. I've done a bit of a search and the only bike hire I can find on line is either in Westport or in Keel. But maybe in May there will be something else seasonal set up near the trail.

i have hired bikes in Catlebar before also but I suppose this just as handy as W' port. I wish I had taken details but as you head into Newport from Westport and cross over the river, there is a cafe and butcher at the top of the town on the left hand side. There was a poster in one of the windows advertising bikes for rent in Newport. Sorry I can't be more specific...

justo wrote: »
    i have hired bikes in Catlebar before also but I suppose this just as handy as W' port. I wish I had taken details but as you head into Newport from Westport and cross over the river, there is a cafe and butcher at the top of the town on the left hand side. There was a poster in one of the windows advertising bikes for rent in Newport. Sorry I can't be more specific...

some images from the track...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 yellowpens

Ya, its great to see it open, iv only read about it the other night on the Trek West Blog Looks to be a real treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 abbeybab

it is possible to hire bikes in newport to go on the track i saw that poster aswell and took down to number its 098 42900 have been on the track myself with kids and it is great well wort a go we hired 2 bikes and a child trailer for the children they loved it and it is quiet safe. enjoy:)

Thanks - I phoned the guy in westport and he gave me that number as well. Looking forward :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mayo wheeler

Hope the link below works (otherwise check out Great Western Greenway under You Tube).....GREAT Video of some of the route, scenery etc and bike hire details too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNMVG7pMRvs&feature=email

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 an_gealt

I was on the greenway today, walked for about a half hour and back. It's easy to walk/cycle. There are benches along the way. Bikes cost €18 a day to rent. Phone: 098 42900 / 0863292577

http://www.westirelandcycling.com/index.php?module=site&show=bike_4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Alternatively if you're staying in Westport Clew Bay Bike Hire (seen in the video) offer a drop off and collection (people and bikes) from Westport to the start of the Greenway in Newport included in a full days rental (€20). Great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Swift Mulitstore has started hiring bikes in Newport http://www.newport-bicycle.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Clew Bay Bike Hire in Westport Mayo website is now up and running.

http://www.clewbayoutdoors.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Banana Shoes

I also saw bike hire in Mulranny but not sure where from. Possibly the hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

Went on this about 3 weeks ago. Absolutely brilliant facility.

Set out on a saturday afternoon. Stopped in Nevins pub (just off the Greenway) for a drink on the way out, had some food in Mulranny, stopped in Nevins again on the way home! Great way to spend a Saturday.

I saw some people on road bikes but I took my mountain bike. I think a hybrid or a mtb would be more suitable.

Anyone know if there are any more of these around the country and proposals to build / develop any more?

Advertisement