Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B12 injections

Options
  • 20-03-2010 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I cant find a health forum so hope I am posting in the right place.

I have a B12 deficiency which means I have to get 6 injections weekly every 3 months. My doctor charges me 50 euro for every injection which over the year works out very pricey.

Yes. I can claim money/tax back but I am wondering if anyone knows somewhere /doctor on the northside of Dublin who would charge less for the injections.

If I could, I would inject myself as I am not afraid of needles

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from PI.

Mods, feel free to move it back if you don't think it should be here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

That charge is very excessive (I'm a GP BTW).

Is there a practice nurse there? Usually these can be given by the nurse and there should be a reduced charge.

It's also worth phoning other GP's in the area and asking how much they charge for this.
    Giving the injections yourself is problematic as insurance issues mean GP's have to ensure they are given by someone with appropriate traing and in practice htis means a doctor or nurse usually.

It's also worth saying to your GP that you feel charging €50 for giving every injection is too much and try to negotiate a better rate. Trust me it works !

• Registered Users Posts: 47 music lover 2

Thanks RobFowl for advice .No there isn't a practice nurse at the surgery.I suppose I am being lazy posting here.Yes I should call other GP's but i have been with this GP for 2 years. I suppose it's like everything else you buy I need to shop around.

Oh and yes I have gone down the "this is too expensive route" but no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Reeni

Hi, I have B12 injections every month which I will have for the rest of my life. My doctor also said the same to me, that I was to come back every month which would cost me €47 euro a pop. Your doctor, like mine, is not giving you all of the facts. You can be referred to a public health nurse, who will give you these injections for free. Your doctor should give you a letter at your request. My doctor did not mention this to me. When I told him I wanted to learn to inject myself so that I could manage a lifelong condition more efficiently and inexpensively he refused and also would not give me a prescription for B12. You can ask your doctor also, but if he refuses then I strongly suggest a new doctor, who should have no problems issuing you prescriptions.

If you get to the public health nurse, she can also teach you how to self inject, which is what I do. It is very simple, I practiced on oranges with saline, and then for my first time I went to the public health nurse who made sure each step was correct. Since then i do it myself and it works out far far cheaper and of course you have the benefit of managing your own condition.

If you need any more info or advice from someone who's been self injecting for a year and a half, feel free to PM me :)

• Advertisement

Reeni thanks for advice will find out about Public health nurse and might PM you then Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Erren Music

Hiya guys, I get weekly injections, got diagnosed in late 2008 and I have had over 70 injections since then.

My levels never go above 200

My doc charges 10 euro an inj

Hiya guys, I get weekly injections, got diagnosed in late 2008 and I have had over 70 injections since then.

My levels never go above 200

My doc charges 10 euro an inj
    Is your GP On the northside? if he/she is could you PM me their details please

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Erren Music

Is your GP On the northside? if he/she is could you PM me their details please

thanks

Surgery is closed to new comers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

Hi i started a thread on B12

Here :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055813339

You might get some more replies there too!

Do you know Northwood in Santry? Its near Gullivers retail park where theres Homesbase and Currys. AFAIK there is a nurse in the doctors office who does them for €15.

Unit 1B Northwood, Santry, Dublin 9.
    GP (specializing in Internal Medicine) Dr Marek Kapczynski Gynaecologist, Dermatologist, ECG, blood tests
    Tel: + 353 1 842 20 01
    Mob: + 353 86 046 50 40 / 01

Maybe its best to ring first to make sure! If its not this one, im sure theres one around the Northwood area, maybe in the retail park itself.

Heres some more in the Santry area : (Dr. Aboud in Omni charges €55 btw)

http://www.santrycommunity.info/healthcare.shtml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Reeni

Reeni thanks for advice will find out about Public health nurse and might PM you then Cheers

No probs. Good luck!

Hi Neil 18

Yes I know area and it would be really handy for me.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Can I ask, are many of those who get b12 injections vegetarian or is mostly a case that those who get them are meat eaters but hey can't absorb b12 as well as others?

How do people end up getting diagnosed? What prompts the initial investigation if you will?

Lastly, is it expensive to get tested for b12 levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sousou

Hi Reenee , I need to start SI could you please give me some information , where do I buy the b12 , and needles etc ..any information very much appreciated thanks

Advertisement