Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of moving to Blessington

Options
  • 14-03-2010 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi there,
    were currently living outside carlow but working in citywest. We are considering a move to Blessington. We have two small children and both work. Reasons for moving are the commute is too far, no career opportunities were we are, missing convienence of restaurants, things to do etc.. The only thing is we still have family in Carlow so we have chosen Blessington as its not to far to keep in touch with them.
    Im looking for opnions on whether Blessington would be a good move. Is there good community spirit in the town, are the schools any good? I have read the thread on shops needed in Blessington.
    Any opnions welcome

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

I dont live in Blessington but I dont live far from it and it would be a town I use quite a bit. It's a decent enough place to live and there are plenty of school's. There is a good range of shops (Kenny's Supervalu, Dunne's, Centra) and garage's. Fast food outlet's a plenty. Excellent GAA and soccer clubs. Avon Ri is an outdoor activity center on the lake. The scenery is fab. You have a bus service 65 to Dublin at regular intervals and could probably use that instead of the car to city west. It aint New York but I love the place and I moved from Dublin 9 year's ago. As I said I live about 10 miles from the town itself and rarely go to Dublin unless it is for something that only a large retail outlet could provide and the best value for that kind of thing will alway's be in Dublin. Crime doesn't seem to be a huge problem and the local Gardai are and excellent bunch. i hope I was of some help and wether you move or not I wish you all the best:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 rubyblues

Thanks cock robin for your response. I drive through every day so i agree it a nice place. I do like the villagey feel that it has to it. Do you know if the nitelink goes to Blessington ? We would like to still be able to go to town and get home without it cl=osting a bomb !

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

rubyblues wrote: »
    Thanks cock robin for your response. I drive through every day so i agree it a nice place. I do like the villagey feel that it has to it. Do you know if the nitelink goes to Blessington ? We would like to still be able to go to town and get home without it cl=osting a bomb !

Thanks

No, last bus is around 11pm out of town. It would be nice though.

Blessington is a nice spot and a very handy commute to city west.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

cock robin wrote: »
    I dont live in Blessington but I dont live far from it and it would be a town I use quite a bit. It's a decent enough place to live and there are plenty of school's. There is a good range of shops (Kenny's Supervalu, Dunne's, Centra) and garage's. Fast food outlet's a plenty. Excellent GAA and soccer clubs. Avon Ri is an outdoor activity center on the lake. The scenery is fab. You have a bus service 65 to Dublin at regular intervals and could probably use that instead of the car to city west. It aint New York but I love the place and I moved from Dublin 9 year's ago. As I said I live about 10 miles from the town itself and rarely go to Dublin unless it is for something that only a large retail outlet could provide and the best value for that kind of thing will alway's be in Dublin. Crime doesn't seem to be a huge problem and the local Gardai are and excellent bunch. i hope I was of some help and wether you move or not I wish you all the best:)
    You were doing fine until you mentioned the Gardai being a good lot. They stamp forms up here and nothing else really. Plenty of boy racers, lots of loitering scum up around the new town centre as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Voltwad wrote: »
    You were doing fine until you mentioned the Gardai being a good lot. They stamp forms up here and nothing else really. Plenty of boy racers, lots of loitering scum up around the new town centre as well.

that's defo the most acurate post re Blessington,fact

• Advertisement

I have found the guard's to be anything but form stampers. On two occasions in the past when neighbours homes have been broken into the response from the guard's was amazing. Only recently they spent 5 hours hunting 2 scumbags who broke into my neighbours house. They came from Blessington in about 5 mins and had a garda chopper search for hours and they caught the dudes that night. A couple of months ago I was on the N81 when a elderly couple were hit in their car by more scumbags who fled the scene. I followed them and the Garda pursued them in a transit van and again caught them. Boyracers and scumbags are in every town in Ireland. I aint no lover of the Garda myself but credit where it's due. They do the best they can and I stand over my statement that they are indeed a very affable bunch in Blessington.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

cock robin,i agree the cops there are as good as you'll get
    but the point is would you recommend Blessington as a place to live,i certainlt would not unless it was a last resort,you're right there are scumbags in every town just seems to be a huge % there and the town is in bits
    one good point i heard the newish scholin the town is good but has a long waiting list

Sorry Heavy Balls I totally disagree. It is not as bad as you make out. My teenage kids loaf about in Blesso all the time and if there was a lot of hassle I would hear about it. The town is not in bits. I lived in Terenure in Dublin and that place was alive with weirdo's. I understane you probably don't like the place but don't paint it black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

heavyballs wrote: »
    but the point is would you recommend Blessington as a place to live,i certainlt would not unless it was a last resort

are you actually from blessington? i am and I wouldn't move for love nor money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭wicklowstar

I think Blesso is a nice enough spot..
    There are some boyracers and the likes but there is worse in other towns!
    Have u thought about outside blessington: Valleymount, hollywood, kilbride, lacken. All have nice quiet communities and close enough to the town..

Also to the person who recommended taking the 65 to citywest, it doesnt go through citywest! And why would u rely on that bus.. It is like driving in a 90 VW jetta!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

iregk wrote: »
    are you actually from blessington? i am and I wouldn't move for love nor money!

Totally agree ,Im not originally from blessington but have lived here for 9 years and I have never been hassled or have I seen trouble walking home from the village at night!

Totally agree ,Im not originally from blessington but have lived here for 9 years and I have never been hassled or have I seen trouble walking home from the village at night!
    There's ALWAYS trouble down Dempsey's Lane and outside Plan B after it closes aint much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Overthinker

Hi,

Im moving to Blessington in July, moving from Dublin and I am really excited. I lived in Blessington for couple years going back few years ago and loved it but couldnt afford to buy at the time so end up buying a house in Portlaoise (mistake!).
    I hear there is a newish late bar called Plan B. Any feed back on the place? I know when I lived there I used to go to the West Wicklow which was good.
    Also looking for any info on Play groups in Bless, has anyone any feedback on Happy Faces or the Abbey Preschool?

Hi,

Im moving to Blessington in July, moving from Dublin and I am really excited. I lived in Blessington for couple years going back few years ago and loved it but couldnt afford to buy at the time so end up buying a house in Portlaoise (mistake!).
    I hear there is a newish late bar called Plan B. Any feed back on the place? I know when I lived there I used to go to the West Wicklow which was good.
    Also looking for any info on Play groups in Bless, has anyone any feedback on Happy Faces or the Abbey Preschool?

Hi there, Plan B is no more than a barn dance for the natives who hate the sight of blow-ins, I'm speaking from experience here. Opt for Time, there's a shuttle bus that runs free of charge on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Plan B is an adequately named club.

The West Wicklow is the best place to go for a drink in a friendly environment althought the Guinness in Miley's is hard to beat (unless you fancy a trek to the fabulous Ballyknockan Inn).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭wicklowstar

Voltwad wrote: »
    Hi there, Plan B is no more than a barn dance for the natives who hate the sight of blow-ins, I'm speaking from experience here. Opt for Time, there's a shuttle bus that runs free of charge on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Plan B is an adequately named club.

The West Wicklow is the best place to go for a drink in a friendly environment althought the Guinness in Miley's is hard to beat (unless you fancy a trek to the fabulous Ballyknockan Inn).

God I hate time!!
    Unless your 16 and going out on the pull!
    And Naas is impossible to get home from!
    Plan B is alright after the west closes.. The Lakes upstairs is better when there is a band on.
    Was never in Mileys, pubs down that end of the town look like old man pubs.
    Ballyknockan u cant beat! Can be a bit crazy at times..:D

God I hate time!!
    Unless your 16 and going out on the pull!
    And Naas is impossible to get home from!
    Plan B is alright after the west closes.. The Lakes upstairs is better when there is a band on.
    Was never in Mileys, pubs down that end of the town look like old man pubs.
    Ballyknockan u cant beat! Can be a bit crazy at times..:D
    I don't go to Time that often really, prefer Tallaght and Town. I avoid Plan B like the black plague though!

Advertisement