Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little Egrets

Options
  • 12-03-2010 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭

Just saw 2 little Egrets land in the field next to me. Delighted with that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I saw one during the week. In Tallaght by the N81, just in the grass to the side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mr socco

E39MSport wrote: »
    Just saw 2 little Egrets land in the field next to me. Delighted with that.

Very nice! Going on a canoe trip at the weekend, would love to see some Little Egrets..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I have seen one nearly every evening for the past two weeks flying north east across the New Cabra Road at St Peters church. I can nearly set my watch by him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

I saw a Great White Egret in Galway last autumn during the floods. It was magnificent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Falling over them down Waterford way. Always a pleasure to see!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Had an egret cross my path the other morning on the M6, approaching Tyrellspass in Co. Westmeath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Smartypantsdig

I have been in Wexford the past two days and have spotted several little egrets on the Slobs. Lovely birds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Counted 19 in my local egretry last night, along with about a dozen more out foraging along the foreshore.

Oddly enough the two herons that are there are on the lower trees well below the egrets, I always thought that they'd nest up higher. Perhaps they were just hanging about on the lower trees and had their nests elsewhere though.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sineadgalway

have been seeing lots along the maigue in limerick lately....really becoming a common sight now

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cardynal

Spent the day in and around Tacumshin today , counted 43 little egrets , just a few short years ago i'd count myself lucky to see 1 or 2 , beautiful birds , great to see them doing so well.
    Regards Tom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

There is regularly one (though I have seen three at once) on the little river in Portmarnock. Also a big grey heron.

And, of course, dozens of mallards...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

http://www.wildlifeextra.com/go/news/ireland-egrets.html

According to the above - interesting too that more and more are turning up at our wonderful turloughs:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Had one in garden couple days ago :)
    They don't usually stay around long but always brightens up the day.

I'd say it wasn't only Little Egret numbers that were hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I think that piece was a bit OTT as any time this year that I have travelled by train from Dublin to Rosslare I've seen masses of Little Egrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Ive seen alot more of them this year than any other year here just outside Galway City.
    They tend to be down by the coast though. I havent been to any turloughs looking for them.
    They might be moving further west, because of the cold spell from the east?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I wouldn't put much store by that web site.:rolleyes:
    Any counts I have done this year show their numbers holding. They move about. Just because they are not in their "usual" haunts means nothing.

I feel their numbers will probably settle down anyway and the influx from the mid 90s has slowed. There isn't a huge niche here for them to fill. They'll stay but not in massive numbers.

All birds were affected by the harsh Winter - not rocket science to see or expect that - Little Egrets were no different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I wouldn't put much store by that web site.:rolleyes:
    But it is a BirdwatchIreland article...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Granted. However, I have found that web site to grab dramatic headlines and OTT stories in the past with little supported material within Ireland.

I've asked both parties who copied whom for that article :) (Birdwatch Ireland aren't always right either when it come to pre-empting surveys but I still admire their work).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Saw a Little Egret today between Ashbourne and Swords on the banks of the Broadmeadow River. Saw another one about 6 months ago in the Boyne near my home in Drogheda. Both times I was driving so got no photos.

Just wondering has anyone else seen these around as I thought they were as rare as chickens teeth.....?

little_egret_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Little egrets are more common along southern coastline areas, but now spreading inland. Always check a little egret to make sure it's not it's mega rare north american cousin the snowny egret:
    qs89if.jpg
    little egret

3rldv.jpg
    Snowny egret

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Ahh so they're common enough here now... that's good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

there does be 2 - 3 of them in the tolka beside east point business park, have been seeing them for the last few years

Advertisement