Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obscure things from my childhood - an appeal

Options
  • 26-02-2010 4:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

I can recall some odd things from my childhood and if even one person can say "yes- I experienced that too" then I'll be content.

1. The move "the sheriff and the satelitte kid". So an alien befriends a sheriff...cue usual mayhem...but I think I loved that crazy moving picture.

2. Zodo's club.
    I think this was in the Irish press but it was a club for kids...you got a membership card with a secret password (mine was zenga) and on your birthday your name would appear in the paper. Happy times.

3. Air force runners. Actually...the less said about these the better.

4. Naff jackets. Or as we called them in school "nackers asking for food" - horrible things.

5. The tv shows, "why don't you" which made fact sheets and goody bags sound like diamonds and gold bars...."out of this world" another show on during the summer holidays...had the theme music "would you like to swing on a star..carry moonbeams home in a jar..." the father was a piece of Waterford crystal or something...I dunno...

6. Pink and white chocolate mice....

7. Fives..crisps for 5p...

Ok we can all look back upon things that we knew existed...but I'm starting to doubt all the above because with the exception of the confectionary items...most people haven't a clue what I'm talking about. Feel free to list your own...not obvious ones like martin and lance from home and away...but really odd ones...and don't forget to try and remember mine!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I was more upmarket than you, my taste was for Bikers. Push pops, so cool that you could wear them on your belt. If you needed an instant sugar fix, you could draw it from your holster in the blink of an eye.

I remember for a time that everyone seemed have Yo-Yos as paradied on the Simpsons. Pogs were another massive fad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Loved 'Why Don't You'.

Especially when they went to visit a farm .. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Pink and white chocolate mice....

Oh dear God, yes.... Lovely things!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

4. Naff jackets. Or as we called them in school "nackers asking for food" - horrible things.

rings a bell, were they black puffy yolks?
    5. The tv shows, "why don't you" which made fact sheets and goody bags sound like diamonds and gold bars...."out of this world" another show on during the summer holidays...had the theme music "would you like to swing on a star..carry moonbeams home in a jar..." the father was a piece of Waterford crystal or something...I dunno...

WHY DONT YOU! yep.

out of this world was class, and yes her dad was a piece of crystal.
    she used to touch her fingers together and freeze time!
    6. Pink and white chocolate mice....

yep, i remember. the pink ones were manky though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

2. Zodo's club.
    I think this was in the Irish press but it was a club for kids...you got a membership card with a secret password (mine was zenga) and on your birthday your name would appear in the paper. Happy times.

3. Air force runners. Actually...the less said about these the better.

I remember Zodo's club... barely
    Also remember Air Force Runners and Naff jackets, but I dont remember either of those tv shows.

anyone remember pajo's junkbox (I think thats what it was called) on saturday mornings?

• Advertisement

out of this world" another show on during the summer holidays...had the theme music "would you like to swing on a star..carry moonbeams home in a jar..." the father was a piece of Waterford crystal or something...I dunno...

Don't know the show but it reminded me of this:

http://darjakaisa.ru/uploads/posts/2009-11/1257328868_dreamstonecover.jpg

bucky o hare? he was a mutant rabbit as far as i can remember, but no one else remembers him :(

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/77/Bucky_cartoon.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

^

I remember Buck O'Hare the gammy git, he used to be on CiTV or Channel 4 yonks ago. Reboot was another programme nobody remembers.

Everyone had the step-haircut at least once in their lives.

Watching all those aussie programs like Round The Twist and The Girl From Tomorrow, cracking TV :pac:

Live @ 3 (I didn't enjoy watching it but always remembered seeing it on the TV when coming home from school)

Anyone remember that mime game on RTÈ that the lottery presenter used to host?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Duggy747 wrote: »

Anyone remember that mime game on RTÈ that the lottery presenter used to host?

RTE's answer to Give us a clue.
    Hosted by Ronan Collins, I think with Derek Davis as the men's captain and Twink as the women's.
    Can't for the life of me remember the name of it.

Can't for the life of me remember the name of it.

Play The Game is the TV Gold your thinking of .. ;)

• Advertisement

might have been 'play the game' actually.
    No idea where that came from or if it's even a tv programme.

3-2-1 was a personal fav when I was growing up.

sample clue:
    I'm something you don't want to win,
    Without a doubt I'm dusty bin

Obviously that prize would be rejected whereupon Ted Rogers would 3 card trick it to the max.
    I'm also pronounced im
    something you don't want to win without = a preza
    doubt I'm dusty bin, well, it certainly isn't it's our star prize - a subaru impreza.

Makes that tv3 thing seem like they're throwing money away.

might have been 'play the game' actually.
    No idea where that came from or if it's even a tv programme.

Eh, the post above yours should give you the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

That music quiz show on RTE with Dave Fanning and Joe Elliot from Def Leppard. A cartoon called Arcadia (I think) they went travelling around underground in a giant and possibly sentient spaceship thing. There was a woman who looked a bit like storm from X-Men in it.

Edit: It's not Arcadia because I've seen it on Retro Junk and it's not listed. The people were called Arcadians though.

m@cc@ wrote: »

ah yes, citv, i remember now. i remember there were certain squares that i hated being picked :rolleyes:

Adyx wrote: »
    That music quiz show on RTE with Dave Fanning and Joe Elliot from Def Leppard. A cartoon called Arcadia (I think) they went travelling around underground in a giant and possibly sentient spaceship thing. There was a woman who looked a bit like storm from X-Men in it.

Edit: It's not Arcadia because I've seen it on Retro Junk and it's not listed. The people were called Arcadians though.

was it the beat box?

was it the beat box?

I don't think so, didn't that just show music videos and stuff?

Adyx wrote: »
    I don't think so, didn't that just show music videos and stuff?

oh crap you're right, i missed the "quiz" part :o

@adyx

just googled and it came up that it was called "number one" :)

• Advertisement

was it the beat box?

It was called, Number One.

oh crap you're right, i missed the "quiz" part :o

Lol, second result on Google: No. 1.

The cartoon was Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea btw. Does anyone else remember it?

ah yes, citv, i remember now. i remember there were certain squares that i hated being picked :rolleyes:

Neil Buchanan was great. Art Attack and Finders Keepers were other gems of his.

@adyx

just googled and it came up that it was called "number one" :)

Beat me by a nano second .. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Duggy747 wrote: »
    ^
    Watching all those aussie programs like Round The Twist and The Girl From Tomorrow, cracking TV :pac:

I used to love Round the Twist!!:D
    The Girl from Tomorrow used to scare me though, i always thought she's get stuck in our time and wouldnt be able to get home :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

We still have some unaccounted for obscurity - Air force Ones anybody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

If only there were a forum for all this sort of thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Whoppa's mint and cola
    penny sweets
    chopper bikes
    cabbage patch dolls
    golly wogs
    the gummy bears
    thundercats
    worsley gummidge
    rainbow
    old style prams
    the fondz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Wow - I'd forgotten about Round the Twist. Can even remember the theme tune now. That show used to freak me out a little bit - like when the guy's mouth was shrunk up for some reason - it was weird!!!

Does anybody remember Twins of Destiny? It was a cartoon on (I think) the Children's Channel about 15 years about a Chinese boy and English girl who were twins somehow and when they held hands they had magical powers. It was awesome, but nobody that I've ever spoken to has seen it. It wasn't even mentioned on the internet until a few years ago. It is now thank God - I thought I was losing it! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twins_of_destiny

• Advertisement

WindSock wrote: »
    If only there were a forum for all this sort of thing...

Ah, your bit of power in the world. :D

Advertisement