Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flashing on comming traffic

Options
  • 25-02-2010 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Just a thought,
    I was driving home from Carlow today and coming into a sleepy village an oncoming car flashed me and sure enough behind the next bend the Guards were hiding behind a bush with the speed gun out the window. I wasn’t speeding at the time so flash or no flash I was going be just fine.
    What are your opinions on flashing oncoming traffic to alert them of the Guards presence???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I would do it. But a cousin of mine flashed his lights to warn oncoming traffic and the driver pulled in and told the gardai, they went after him pulled him over and fined him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I'd never do it but I would flash to indicate there was a hazard ahead, loose animals, dangerous parking, crash, or whatever. If the oncoming driver mistakenly thinks I'm warning them about Gardai and slows down and is more alert to the hazard on that basis, then the road is safer and the fact that a small minority flash to indicate the presence of Gardai has probably helped contribute to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Mc Love wrote: »
    I would do it. But a cousin of mine flashed his lights to warn oncoming traffic and the driver pulled in and told the gardai, they went after him pulled him over and fined him

Surely they'd need some sort of proof rather than hearsay from a do-gooder?

Genuine question btw.. or is it the usual story that no actual evidence is needed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

If it gets someone to slow down then surely it is achieving what the Gardai have set out to do, right? :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Impossible to prove someone was flashing to warn of a speed trap. Can't be proven that you mistook the other driver for a friend etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

What offence was he charged with?

Would be highly unlikely that he would be charged with it. How is the garda to know he could meerly be flashing some1 he knows in oncomming traffic for example. The evidence is one member of publics word against the others wouldnt hold up...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This used to be a really common practice about 10-20 years ago. It's really died out though, for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They did make it illegal alright. As far as I know, at some speed traps, they have an unmarked Garda car patrolling up and down to look out for people warning oncoming traffic of the speed trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The original reason behind the AA was to stand on the roads and warn AA members(big badge on grille) if there were Police around the bend.

The people flashing are doing it with good intentions. I personally don't do it anymore unless I think the Gardai are taking the p*ss like shooting fish in barrell. I certainly do not flash for checkpoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

motorman wrote: »
    Just a thought,
    I was driving home from Carlow today and coming into a sleepy village an oncoming car flashed me and sure enough behind the next bend the Guards were hiding behind a bush with the speed gun out the window. I wasn’t speeding at the time so flash or no flash I was going be just fine.
    What are your opinions on flashing oncoming traffic to alert them of the Guards presence???
    On the publication of Speed enforcement zones..."Gardaí are now informing people as to where the speed checks will be so that they will voluntarily slow down."
    Can't fault somebody for trying to help out, eh?

If the posted speed limit was a silly one, I would be tempted to warn others. If not, I wouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

a lot of people were doing it on the road to Roundwood the other day, after a while I stopped noticing. Then half way up the hill car could no longer go forwards cos of the snow and ice. :(

Fair enough if people did it when reasonably close to the checkpoint / hazard but when you're 3-4k down the road its a bit pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,697 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Driving in a car with a mate before, well, he was driving, but somebody flashed us before we came to a bend, I copped onto it and told him to slow down, guards right around the corner :)

I think it's a nice thing to do to just let people know, but only if it's a 'shooting fish in a barrel' type of trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

My aunt got done for this years ago. She flashed her lights at an unmarked Garda car to warn about a speed trap, even when the unmarked car pulled her over she told the Garda that she was flashing warn about speed trap! Doh!
    (aunt by marriage)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Absurdum wrote: »
    If it gets someone to slow down then surely it is achieving what the Gardai have set out to do, right? :D

yes every body go around flashing lights all the time, will solve the speeding problem:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

My aunt got done for this years ago. She flashed her lights at an unmarked Garda car to warn about a speed trap, even when the unmarked car pulled her over she told the Garda that she was flashing warn about speed trap! Doh!
    (aunt by marriage)

aunt by marriage (and not from Cork.of course...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Absurdum wrote: »

That's an interesting point considering the fact that the Gardaí do claim that they set these up as a deterrent to speeders, flashing has the same net effect, they must be delighted when they don't witness any speeding......

- I can never understand why they are only ever on immaculate stretches of Dual Carriageways loitering under Flyovers chatting with their Mates and drinking cups of tea while harrassing the very Taxpayer who pays their wages while conveniently missing out on witnessing the Scumbags from our massive and spiralling Crime statistics???

Go out on the lethal B Roads and sort out the actual problem you crime-avoiding Hypocrites.

The best thing for slowing down motorists is someone with a high vis jacket on. Always slow down if i see one off in the distance, and cars in front of me, you can always see them braking

Hi-viz scarecrows then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

I dont think its right that they should be able to fine them for warning someone. I dont think that is fair.

Stark wrote: »
    Hi-viz scarecrows then?

It would work but then the people that use the route regularly enought would know exactly what it is and wouldnt slow down.

Maybe if they used a tactic to moving it somewhere new every week :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

In the North and other Countries the motorway construction crews use a robot type thing dressed up in builders garb and its arm has a red flag which moves up and down.

However a good idea this may sound somebody would steal it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Stark wrote: »
    They did make it illegal alright. As far as I know, at some speed traps, they have an unmarked Garda car patrolling up and down to look out for people warning oncoming traffic of the speed trap.

Correct!

I'd flash a modded or sports car usually.....And you may not be going particularly fast but only takes a little to be done.....easily happen and there are sneeky gaurds just out to do people with no interest in slowing people down. So I would flash.....

Oh and if it's some speeding ejit flying into the trap then I wouldn't....it's those ones f**king it up for the rest of us....

www.celicaireland.com

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Is there any legal reason for flashing? Is it a hazard warning?

joolsveer wrote: »

Is it long since passing the test??

No legal reason for flashing....I use it to warn motorists of dangerous ahead...accident etc...and to BLIND the careless drivers that don't dip...and 99% it works accept for merc drivers......

www.celicaireland.com

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

joolsveer wrote: »
    Flashing your lights only has one use in law - to alert other drivers to your presence.

This is why, if you're waiting to pull out and someone flashes you, ensure that they have stopped or are stopping before you start moving. One day you will meet the person who is using it correctly and flashing you to tell you *not* to pull out.

seamus wrote: »
    Flashing your lights only has one use in law - to alert other drivers to your presence. using it correctly and flashing you to tell you *not* to pull out.

Would have been interesting to do a poll on this......Bet the majority would have got it wrong....

It's certainly the norm on the continent that flashing means *not* to pull out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

How on earth can somebody be fined for flashing lights when it wasn't even the Gardai that saw it??

How petty of someone to even tell the Gardai about it, that really is patethic

Also if pulled for flashing can you not just say you hit the lights instead of the windscreen cleaner?? I often do this as my car and my dads car are opposite, and my dads car and his jeep are also opposite despite being the same manufacturer. How can they prove you were flashing to warn of a speed trap?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

cable842 wrote: »
    I dont think its right that they should be able to fine them for warning someone.

Can anyone tell me what they could actually fine you for? I mean, what offence is the flasher (Steady!) suposed to be committing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

BronsonTB wrote: »
    Would have been interesting to do a poll on this......Bet the majority would have got it wrong....

Doesn;t it depend completly on the circumstances, i.e if i'm stopped or nearly stopped and flash then i am clearly letting the other person pull out, if I am approaching at speed and flash it is clearly NOT to pull out??

Advertisement