Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Religious/Spiritual Persuasion Are You?

Options
  • 24-02-2010 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭

So with the recent outbreak of religiously themed threads in after hours I thought I would throw up the obligatory video poll. So, what's your soul poison? Which option most closely describes your religious leaning.

Edit: Before someone complains about the options, I just threw them up off the top of my head, so Pagans, Hindus ect, no offense was meant.
    Post Edit: Actually if a mod could possibly add Hindu and Pagan it would be appreciated as they're two of the more common ones missing from the list. Thanks.

Religious/spiritual presuasion? 310 votes

Christian (Catholic)
    0% 0 votes
    Christian (Protestant)
    13% 42 votes
    Christian (Other)
    2% 8 votes
    Islam
    3% 11 votes
    Buddhism
    0% 3 votes
    Secular/Non-Religious/Atheist/Agnostic
    1% 4 votes
    Spiritism
    68% 211 votes
    Judaism
    0% 0 votes
    Scientology
    0% 0 votes
    Other
    2% 8 votes
    Hindu
    7% 22 votes
    Pagan
    0% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Rational thinking does not allow me to have any steadfast religious/spiritual beliefs. To get me to act like something is 100% true you'll need evidence. Personal inclinations do not count as evidence as these can be wrong.....a lot.

To be controversial, I don't see much difference in believing that you can talk to god and believing that the CIA are after you. One just happens to be socially encouraged while the other is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Oneironaut

Bi-secular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Its all fairy tales to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

You forgot the oldest one of all: Jedi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Not a fan of religion, any religion. I think people should live by their conscience, not some set of rules from a fairy tale. I don't need a god to tell me not to be an asshole, that's what the missus is for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭peepeep

Why are 'atheist' and 'agnostic' thrown together in the poll? They are completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭bullpost

Wheres the man utd. option - they've got the best attendances, choirs, hymns etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

What about Humanist? Growing movement in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

peepeep wrote: »
    Why are 'atheist' and 'agnostic' thrown together in the poll? They are completely different.
    They're not really. Agnostic is closer to atheist than it is to catholic.

An agnostic has sometimes been described as someone who is undecided on the matter, but in reality an agnostic is someone who accepts that the existence of a God or Gods is inherently unknowable so don't draw a conclusion on the matter.

Atheists accept that the existence of Gods is inherently unknowable, but consider it such an extreme outside possibility that it's negligible and not really worthy of consideration.

In terms of religious persuasion, it's fair to lump agnostic and atheist in the same definition because neither have any religious persuasion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No gods for me thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hindu/Pagan added per request

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Bah!

Could a mod kindly please remove my vote as Other and change it to pagan please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Scientology for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Catholic.

• Moderators Posts: 51,738 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Nuwaubianism for me.:D

List of some of the beliefs.

1. It is important to bury the afterbirth so that Satan does not use it to make a duplicate of the recently-born child

2. Furthermore, some aborted fetuses survive their abortion to live in the sewers, where they are being gathered and organized to take over the world

3. People were once perfectly symmetrical and ambidextrous, but then a meteorite struck Earth and tilted its axis causing handedness and shifting the heart off-center in the chest

4. Each of us has seven clones living in different parts of the world

5. Women existed for many generations before they invented men through genetic manipulation

6. Homo sapiens is the result of cloning experiments that were done on Mars using Homo erectus

7. Nikola Tesla came from the planet Venus

8. The Illuminati have nurtured a child, Satan’s son, who was born on 6 June 1966 at the Dakota House on 72nd Street in New York to Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis of the Rothschild/Kennedy families. The Pope was present at the birth and performed necromantic ceremonies. The child was raised by former U.S. president Richard Nixon and now lives in Belgium, where it is hooked up bodily to a computer called “The Beast 3M” or “3666.”

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I am friends with everyone from hardcore atheist to islam.

But Scientology makes me deeply uneasy. Bigot that I am.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Scientology for me.
    I am friends with everyone from hardcore atheist to islam.

But Scientology makes me deeply uneasy. Bigot that I am.

Oi. :mad: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I believe in me. I figure if I'm going to have faith in something, it might as well be myself. Sometimes I doubt my faith though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I believe in me. I figure if I'm going to have faith in something, it might as well be myself. Something I doubt my faith though.
    Yeah I'm beginning to lose my faith in you myself. There's simply no solid evidence to suggest that you exist.[/because somebody was going to say it]

I probably qualify as agnostic. I simply don't and can't know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Very much an atheist and a virulent anti-organised religion kind of guy...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Well, raised Catholic, but I would say none really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

very surprising the number that ticked atheist etc . . . .

It's the internet. Nerds = atheist/agnostic. ;) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Not really, it's the usual result whenever a poll like this is done on AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

atheist for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

Christian other, previously dreary Catholic Christian, now positive European Christian

Jedd Bartlett, West Wing, HBO, 'our faith in God prompts us to face each of life's challenges and not use God as an excuse to avoid these difficult challenges.'

St. Paul: 'Trust In God's love and have no fear..'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

No pastafarian?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

seamus wrote: »
    They're not really. Agnostic is closer to atheist than it is to catholic.

Are we using Catholicism as the yardstick by which all other beliefs are measured? Who gives a crap what agnostic is close to? In term of atheism, one has a belief that a 'god' exists, one doesn't. That's a pretty fundamental difference in beliefs, in fact one would go as far to say as one of the main things that define a belief system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

Christian Catholic. I have read up on Buddhism, Judaism and Paganism and wondered if I could abide by any of those religions. But in the end I settled back into the one I grew up with. -- By the way, I was a nihilist for a while but I lost all faith in it.

Advertisement