Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

License for photographers !

• 21-02-2010 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi all,

I read the following from - Photographers.ie - just wondering about people feel about a proposed license for photographers -

""The Irish Professional Photographers Assocation have just sent out a letter to all it's members confirming that in the past few months there has been a discussion group working on the idea of a Photographers License.
    The IPPA has also requested its members to submit a list of all known Photographers in Ireland who take photographs for reward which the IPPA will forward to the Revenue Commissioners by Thursday 25th Feb.
    This list can be drawn from local directories, adverts, wedding websites & wedding magazines and in some cases just from common knowledge.
    This is a clear indication that the License will not make reference to a standard of workmanship or to the price charged but is to ensure that cowboys (people who do not pay tax or vat on their nixers) get entered into the Revenue Commissioners database.""

Source - Photographers.ie -

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

nowst wrote: »
    Hi all,

I read the following from - Photographers.ie - just wondering about people feel about a proposed license for photographers -

""The Irish Professional Photographers Assocation have just sent out a letter to all it's members confirming that in the past few months there has been a discussion group working on the idea of a Photographers License.
    The IPPA has also requested its members to submit a list of all known Photographers in Ireland who take photographs for reward which the IPPA will forward to the Revenue Commissioners by Thursday 25th Feb.
    This list can be drawn from local directories, adverts, wedding websites & wedding magazines and in some cases just from common knowledge.
    This is a clear indication that the License will not make reference to a standard of workmanship or to the price charged but is to ensure that cowboys (people who do not pay tax or vat on their nixers) get entered into the Revenue Commissioners database.""

Source - Photographers.ie -

A rat them up line then?

So are we saying that ALL 'professional' photographers report all THEIR earning to Revenue?:rolleyes:

That could turn into a very nasty double-edged sword.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Well, not having a license from a self-regulated body isn't going to make much difference to customers, is it? If customers are that concerned, they can ask to see a tax clearance certificate from the Revenue showing that the photographer is tax compliant. This can be verified online.

If the IPPA license doesn't do any more than that, then, if I was a professional photographer, I'd just go with the more official Revenue Tax Clearance.

Why are the IPPA appointing themselves to do Revenue's job for them? Surely if Revenue were that excited about it they could go through ads, wedding magazines, etc. themselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭nilhg

I can see a big drop in "I bought a body/lens from ebay and never got caught for VAT" posts.

I'm sure all the pros bought theirs from kosher sources..................

Seriously though, the recession must be biting, days of easy pickings are over.........

nilhg wrote: »
    I can see a big drop in "I bought a body/lens from ebay and never got caught for VAT" posts.

I'm sure all the pros bought theirs from kosher sources..................

Seriously though, the recession must be biting, days of easy pickings are over.........

Indeed. And not just in photography. And not before time. The place had gone nuts price wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Freddie59 wrote: »
    A rat them up line then?.

It certainly looks like it, and yeah I guess that's the assumption that they're making, that all their squeaky clean IPPA members are all hand-on-heart payed up and tax compliant in all cases, so time to crack down on the competition.
    In all cases of course it is the right thing to do, but it still has that weasely quality to it :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I think its just a way for the IPPA to try to shake off a number of part-time photographers, their own numbers will drop as a result of introducing this.

However, I do think that proper licencing might be needed for some professional bodies.... at the moment there are too many people claiming to be a photographer (and earning an extra couple of hundred a month) simply because they have a DSLR. (no offence to any non-professional photographers who earn a couple of hundred a month through photography work - I've given some of you work as I find that you are capable of doing the job)

Think I might be contradicting myself there - I'm in favour of some form of licencing - however - for "part-time" photographers there should be allowances - there are some talented photographers out there who simply cant afford or dont know how to earn regular money and make a living from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 nowst

With the downturn in the economy luxury goods like Family Portraits are no longer selling as easily.

Alot of these Studios neglected the Wedding Scene the past 5 years because it wasnt worth their while closing a studio on a saturday when the could have up to 10 portrait sessions booked.

They now want to get back into it - as weddings happen even in recession times - and are now finding it flooded with photographers, and at prices well reduced.

It does seem abit like a modern day witch hunt - which could bite the very members they are representing !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The IPPA have no power to license anything.

Paulw wrote: »

maybe not - but they can issue memberships based on their own terms and conditions - which may include or may be adjusted to include granting of an IPPA licence/membership only to tax compliant photographers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

So, elitists group want to become even more enclosed and restricted elitist group? Good for them.
    Maybe they should submit extra panel for judging with application for such license ;)

• Advertisement

PCPhoto wrote: »
    maybe not - but they can issue memberships based on their own terms and conditions - which may include or may be adjusted to include granting of an IPPA licence/membership only to tax compliant photographers.

And so what? What if you're not a member? Will that mean you can't earn from photography? I think not.

Membership of the IPPA does not make much difference to most people on the street who want photos - portrait, wedding, etc

Does that then mean that the IPPA will audit each of their members, to ensure they are fully tax compliant? No, because they have no legal power to review anyone. Only the Revenue could do that.

All a lot of rubbish and hype, if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Don't start me on the IPPA!!

And so what? What if you're not a member? Will that mean you can't earn from photography? I think not.

Membership of the IPPA does not make much difference to most people on the street who want photos - portrait, wedding, etc

Does that then mean that the IPPA will audit each of their members, to ensure they are fully tax compliant? No, because they have no legal power to review anyone. Only the Revenue could do that.

my understanding is that the IPPA are asking its members to inform the revenue of non-members and members who earn money through photography.

I'm not a member of the IPPA, my understanding of what they are looking towards doing is ensuring ALL their members are 100% compliant in an effort to stop "part-time" photographers earning extra cash through their photography.

This will not stop any decent photographer earning money (part-time or full-time non revenue compliant) - but it might mean that they earn less as they will more than likely be forced into declaring earnings 'cos the more they earn money the higher the risk they will be "reported" by an IPPA member.

It all depends on if members in the IPPA are willing to give details of photographers to the organisation - which it claims will pass onto the Revenue.

my understanding is that the IPPA are asking its members to inform the revenue of non-members and members who earn money through photography.

I'm not a member of the IPPA, my understanding of what they are looking towards doing is ensuring ALL their members are 100% compliant in an effort to stop "part-time" photographers earning extra cash through their photography.
    [/B]

But you can earn so much additional earnings before you pay tax on it anyway. I'm not sure what the actual figure is, but it's 10-15K??

Many part-time weekend photographers, doing bits and pieces may not even be coming anywhere near that turnover, so have nothing at all to fear.

Anyone, anywhere, has the ability to contact the Revenue and report someone.

This is the IPPA trying to make themselves seem more important than they actually are. They're trying to empower themselves. What a load of utter rubbish and another reason to stay well away from that "association".

I like their use of the word 'license'. It's deliberately provocative. It implies that there's some authority behind what they're doing. OTOH it reminds me of that Muppet* Show sketch.

[Rowlf the dog is performing surgery on a patient]

Nurse: Doctor, do you have a license ??!?
    Rowlf: Of course ! Every dog has a license !
    Nurse: I mean a license to practice !
    Rowlf: I'm practicing right now, amn't I ??!

*which is oddly appropriate :D

But you can earn so much additional earnings before you pay tax on it anyway. I'm not sure what the actual figure is, but it's 10-15K??

Many part-time weekend photographers, doing bits and pieces may not even be coming anywhere near that turnover, so have nothing at all to fear.

Anyone, anywhere, has the ability to contact the Revenue and report someone.

This is the IPPA trying to make themselves seem more important than they actually are. They're trying to empower themselves. What a load of utter rubbish and another reason to stay well away from that "association".

I totally agree with you here

I didn't realise you could do a second job part-time and not get taxed on first €10-15K ...might look into this.

I totally agree with you here

I didn't realise you could do a second job part-time and not get taxed on first €10-15K ...might look into this.

ehh, I don't think that's actually the case. AFAIK all your earnings are considered amalgamated for tax purposes, doesn't matter how many jobs you have. So if you're earning enough on your first job to get taxed at the top rate, anything you earn on your second job will be taxed at the top rate also.

Childminders (minding 3 or fewer children) can earn €15k a year, but most other people just declare the additional income on a form (12?) at the end of the year. There may be some other jobs besides childminding that are eligible, but I'd be surprised if photography was one of them.

This will not stop any decent photographer earning money (part-time or full-time non revenue compliant) - but it might mean that they earn less as they will more than likely be forced into declaring earnings 'cos the more they earn money the higher the risk they will be "reported" by an IPPA member.

It all depends on if members in the IPPA are willing to give details of photographers to the organisation - which it claims will pass onto the Revenue.

Who are the IPPA to say whether I'm paying tax or not? If I set myself up tomorrow as a pro photographer (don't worry, it won't happen) and starting charging people 10k for a half hour photo shoot, the IPPA has no way of knowing my tax affairs. All I have to do is send Revenue a form to register as self-employed, but I won't have to file anything until next October. Between now and then I could earn a million euros and not even Revenue would be sure how much I've taken (unless they ask in the interim) - that won't be known until I file a return.

Thoie wrote: »
    Who are the IPPA to say whether I'm paying tax or not? If I set myself up tomorrow as a pro photographer (don't worry, it won't happen) and starting charging people 10k for a half hour photo shoot, the IPPA has no way of knowing my tax affairs. All I have to do is send Revenue a form to register as self-employed, but I won't have to file anything until next October. Between now and then I could earn a million euros and not even Revenue would be sure how much I've taken (unless they ask in the interim) - that won't be known until I file a return.

anyone can report you to the revenue if they suspect you are not working legit (not just in photography)

what the IPPA are asking is that their members report any photographers that earn money to the organisation....the organisation will then contact the revenue....they are not asking if you pay taxes or not ...at least not yet.

so going by your example.....if you started work tomorrow as a pro photographer then in a couple of days/weeks/months (assuming the members actually report photographers) then ... a IPPA member would report you as being a photographer and earning money - and eventually the revenue would be given your details and investigate (given the speed at which some governmental departments work this could be anything from 2-5yrs later)

• Advertisement

Fully agree. A closed shop, in other words. And I wonder how the IPPA would (or could) decide if it was just some amateur enthusiast doing a friend a favour??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

IPPA is requesting it's members report non-members for...ummm...having the feck'n audacity of trying to make a living.:eek:
    Is that not like asking your member to receive some sort of retribution?:D

anyone can report you to the revenue if they suspect you are not working legit (not just in photography)

Yes, but what are they basing their suspicions on, other than the fact I'm a photographer?

When reporting social welfare fraud, for example, you would base your suspicion on the fact that you see me at the post office each week collecting my dole, but you also see me driving off in a company van every morning. Or I've mentioned I'm claiming lone parent allowance, and you see my boyfriend pull up every evening at 5 and leave at 8 the next morning. Or perhaps you see me collecting dole for 3 different people, wearing a variety of false moustaches.

While I appreciate that anyone can report anyone for tax evasion, and rightly so, surely if you are to be anything other than vexatious you should have some reasons for your suspicion? Being a non IPPA photographer is not a suspicious activity in and of itself. I'm not going to report my local shopkeeper just because he's not part of a Spar/Centra franchise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

A licence by the IPPA would mean zit but I don't think that that it what is being suggested.

A 'regulated system' probably isn't a bad idea if it were something that you could discern that you could reasonably expect quality from the 'licence' holder (mind you I don't like the term). My personal experiences of the professional photographer has been hit and miss - i've posted many times previously about this so I won't reiterate the point. TLDR, one case we're lucky to have a single image from a very special day and a second where the chap in question did a runner with no end images of that special day. Anyhow I can also appreciate that there are hard working and decent professionals that do deliver.

read some of the comments on the blog entry. Things must be getting hard out there when you depend on your living for your photography.

However it is fanciful to 'attribute blame' for professional photographers going to the wall on those which imo have to be few in number and not paying their due taxes. If it is a significant problem then revenue will be on to it. The IPPA should not concern themselves with the taxes of others when it doesn't appear be based on an evidential approach. I'm not dismissing it, I have no evidence to the contrary but there has been no evidence pointed to on the blog post or subsequent comment as to a factual position and actual nature of the problem (if at all it exists).

There also appears to be a finger of blame pointed towards the revenue commissioners. Like it or not (and none of us like having to pay taxes) but the system of taxation is the basis on which the country runs and works quite simply - you earn money and you pay tax at varying rates (a different argument as to the overall fairness etc..., not for here).

If you are a professional photographer and can't afford to live as seems to be the sentiment being expressed, after paying taxes then you really need a new profession. The guy referred to that had to close the studio after 10 years because "the revenue commissioners" actually wanted the amount of tax which was due to be paid by the studio, of course has my sympathy in terms of the predicament they found themselves in but seriously, apart from the sad occasion of the studio closing, get an accountant, a business partner, an innovator, a leader, an investor. Revolutionise your business model. ehhh..... like..... it don't appear to be working. To the owner who ever they are - from what was posted on the blog comments, you might be the nicest person in the world but it appears that you shouldn't be running a business.

I think exception can be taken to the commentary that if you have a full time job and are earning money from photography then you are depriving a professional photographer of their living. Simply put, grow up lads, stop whining and get on with it. You need to give people a reason that they will come to you. To use the management speak - What is your unique selling proposition? You take photographs? Well so do a lot of people. You take photographs at the top of Mount Everest - now there's a unique selling proposition. Not a lot of people can be doing that. You take photographs at weddings, well so do a lot of people and auto feicin mode is being made better and better by the good engineers in Japan. Look, the world works very simply - If you can't earn a living at what you do regardless of how much you like it or how good you are at it, well its time to go get yourself a job as an employee.

As for ratting people out - absolutely, if you have the evidence that anyone is making money and not paying taxes then it is a civic duty to let the relevant authorities know. Don't go scowering the local focus magazine (sorry, a Trim reference) for the "we take photo's" mini ad with no knowledge of what is their setup. But if you have the evidence and will be witness and accuser then why not. Not paying the amount of tax prescribed by law is illegal and should be dealt with appropriately.

Me? For the record, I don't make money from photography at the present time.

I don't make a living from photography. Far from it, I just cover my costs (insurance, association fees, travel, etc). This year, I will be submitting my tax returns in Oct, as the Revenue require. That doesn't bother me at all.

I would very much object to some wanna-be organisation like IPPA reporting me to the Revenue, just because I am not a member of their organisation and I earn some money from photography.

I am not a professional photographer, I'm a hobby photographer who earns some money from what I do.

As for depriving some from a living, I don't believe that I do. I compete in a fair and open market. I found a bit of a niche, and I do ok from that. I certainly don't make enough to put anyone out of business, but if the IPPA have an issue, that's their tough luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Lets start with the usual disclaimers:

I have no issue with the IPPA and I do not want to be a member of theirs as I feel I can benefit having membership with other organisations elsewhere.

The concept is good but personally I think its more hype than anything with way too many "what if's, who does what?" kind of questions which have to be resolved first. Could this possibly be another way of the IPPA trying to recruit new members?? ;)

Lets be honest here, do you really and honestly think a bride & groom (using weddings as the example here) are going to give a rats ass if the photographer holds a piece of paper saying they are "official"?? Of course they aren't as all they are concerned about is the €€€€€€€€€€€ and who isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Frankly I would be suprised if this has any tax issues, it is more likely to be an advertising ploy to try and promote their members. A bit like the financial regulator at the end of every bank ad. More than likely not worth the effort or anyones concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭nilhg

Frankly I would be suprised if this has any tax issues, it is more likely to be an advertising ploy to try and promote their members. A bit like the financial regulator at the end of every bank ad. More than likely not worth the effort or anyones concern.

What it is, is a very obvious attempt to put the frighteners on people, both folks who do one or two jobs as "nixers" from their day jobs, or their own members who might consider cutting their rates and taking cash under the table instead of putting it through the books.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭hcnyla

You can't Paddy. You have to declare ALL income for tax purposes. If you pay tax already at the top rate then every single penny you earn extra as nixers will be taxed at the high rate.

You can declare (I think, not certain of the figure) up to 5K as an add on to your PAYE earnings using a seperate form. If you earn more than 5K then you need to register as a sole trader/company and pay tax this way. I was in this situation last year and rang the tax office about it.

Obviously if you earn less than 5K as a nixer then you would probably be able to write off most of the tax payment on expenses, equipment etc.

PS, you were right about the herald pic sales as well. Loads of calls but no order :) C'est la vie.

• Advertisement

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    read some of the comments on the blog entry.

That was a very interesting read. Things haven't changed much in all these years since I was a member.

What struck me then and jumps out from those blog posts is the incredibly high opinion of themselves that a number of those photographers have. Then when you go looking at their work, expecting to be blown away, you are even less than underwhelmed. It's quite banal in fact.
    They should cop on and realise that photography has become democratised and some of the most creative work is being done by non full timers.

What is it about so called professional photographers that makes them think that they are in the same league as rocket scientists?

Photography is for the people, by the people and of the people. Live with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

What a joke!

So the IPPA is encouraging its members to rat out anyone that isn't a member on the off chance that they aren't paying full tax.

Its a bullying tactic that sounds official. Its a statement of intent, join us or we'll make your life miserable. They can't control amateurs or part-timers so they want to force them out.

It reminds me of when my sister graduated a few years back. I was taking photographs of her and my family, but the Photographers assistants had other idea's. They kept getting in my way, telling my family where the "real" photographers were.

A Licence is good for "control" proposes. Like controlling the fish population, or who sells alcohol. Not for who is entitled to become self employed.

Just noticed that one of the contributors on that blog has a brand new theory on light. I thought it was a joke at first but apparently not. Have a read here: http://www.irishphotographers.ie/revamp2008/blog.php

It probably deserves a thread of its own it's such a ground shattering discovery. No wonder us amateurs don't chance when the laws of physics behave differently for us. Never mind the secret is out and we can all go off now and conquer the demon that is the elusive masterpiece.

Keep it slow gang!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 oozler

Valentia wrote: »
    Just noticed that one of the contributors on that blog has a brand new theory on light. I thought it was a joke at first but apparently not. Have a read here: http://www.irishphotographers.ie/revamp2008/blog.php

Is this the bit you mean Valentia?
    "Slow shutter speeds allow the film or digital chip to soak up the available light. Forget about opening up the aperture to allow in more light, it will not have the desired effect if the shutter goes off so fast that the available light fails to make an impression on the film/chip. Use the aperture for dept of field only (what’s in or out of focus).

Take a photo of a green hedge at 1/250 sec and another at 1 second (naturally you must adjust your aperture to balance the exposure), what you will see is this: The hedge shot at 1/250 sec will be full of black areas and it will look like a snap taken by your average tourist with a pocket camera. The shot taken at a one second exposure will be bursting with luscious green leaves including the ones inside the hedge which are black in the 1/250 photo. There is light in those dark areas but the film/chip needs time for that light to register."
    I'm absolutely baffled by that explanation. That a pro photographer thinks that aperture won't change the amount of light falling on a sensor (yet in the next paragraph reminds you to change it to balance the exposure!!!) and that 1/250s isn't long enough for light - that would travel ~1,200kms in that time - to make an impression on the sensor is staggering. Hope there's no physics question on the exam for the license!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

I suppose they have to be seen to do something for paying members, but ultimately it's futile and smacks of King Canute.

A licence might yield a once-off stingfest to the chagrin of tax cheats but it won't make a lick of difference long term, the tsunami of ever cheaper and better gear will continue to drive down prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

tbh I personally did not see it as that big if a deal until I read:

1) Let the revenue do their own work, like someone else said, it could become a double edged sword. Its very easy to cause problems for your competition by reporting them or adding them to a list.
    2) What does it matter if they are reporting any or all of their income? If people chose a crap photographer for their wedding then thats what the results will be. If people chose a bad photographer cause he/she is cheap then thats their choice. Regardless of their submissions to the Tax Office
    3) I thought the quality of a photographer was "the proof is in the pudding" and all that. Not in their Tax returns. And its their choice and who are the IPPA to dictate who should be reporting their taxes???

tbh I would have been up for a licence. I mean there is already one for Press Photographers so I see no harm in it but that does not seem to be there to protect the integrity of their members but simply their pockets

• Advertisement

tbh I would have been up for a licence. I mean there is already one for Press Photographers so I see no harm in it but that does not seem to be there to protect the integrity of their members but simply their pockets

There is no press photographers license. All there is is a press photographer's ID card. Nothing more than that.

I have a press card. It's not a license of any sorts, it's just a form of ID to show I work in a photographic medium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

well fair enough not a licence. But the end result is the same for the most part, an ID for a press photographer, criteria to be met to get that id and database of press photographers.

What I was getting as is that in essence it might not be such a bad idea. But the reason behind the licence seems flawed imho

well fair enough not a licence. But the end result is the same for the most part, an ID for a press photographer, criteria to be met to get that id and database of press photographers.

What I was getting as is that in essence it might not be such a bad idea. But the reason behind the licence seems flawed imho

Different organisations issue different press cards. None are any more valid than the others. AIPS, ASJI, NUJ, FAI, etc all issue different press cards. All they are are effectively ID cards. They are not a license of any form.

Even still, criteria for getting such cards differ greatly.

The idea of being able to license photography is absurd. Anyone can buy a camera and take picts. Anyone can then charge for their services. How would you propose licensing that? Who decides if you get a license or not? What are the criteria for getting a license?

Who decides if you get a license or not? What are the criteria for getting a license?

<Insert obvious gag about swans, overcooked HDR, film borders on digital images etc etc etc>

As I've just said on Twitter, this smacks of Fascism. But that's the IPPA for you.

I agree also that of course everyone should pay VAT and tax and all. But the idea that those wonderful people in the IPPA are in some way qualified to act as moral guardians is laughable. Especially when they allow membership to people who refer to other photographers as "cowboys" and don't themselves even understand the principles of exposure.

You want to be really green? Keep it slow!

• Advertisement

As I've just said on Twitter, this smacks of Fascism. But that's the IPPA for you.

I agree also that of course everyone should pay VAT and tax and all. But the idea that those wonderful people in the IPPA are in some way qualified to act as moral guardians is laughable. Especially when they allow membership to people who refer to other photographers as "cowboys" and don't themselves even understand the principles of exposure.

You want to be really green? Keep it slow!

By god he's right !! Look !

Fast light:
    4225626776_00c2ee4be8_m.jpg

Slow light:
    3567526493_e931c99f10_m.jpg

look at those greens pop ! He might be on to something here. I'm off to get my IPPA license immediately.

Plan and support needed: I need a list of all IPPA members using copyrighted music on their web sites. I will then send it to IMRO and lets see what happens after that ;):eek:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Plan and support needed: I need a list of all IPPA members using copyrighted music on their web sites. I will then send it to IMRO and lets see what happens after that ;):eek:.

RAFLMAO

Nice one Valentia

What about MCPS and PRS too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

I'll sing the list of names and we can charge IMRO a license fee, proceeds to ssf :D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Buckz

are there part time tax dodging cowboys who do sub standard work, rip off unsuspecting customers don't pay their taxes and then collect dole? Yes, in photography as well as every other industry.The IPPA are trying to protect the livelihood of their members by cutting down on competition- trying to create a cartel disguised as a public service. clever. and sly. Unfortunately their cartel doesn't have any quality standard, in fact some members use their membership as a badge of honour intended to infer ability. So a clever ploy to weed out cowboys and some quality competition and pressure others into joining. Clever.but sly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 jeannie82

I agree also that of course everyone should pay VAT and tax and all

If you earn less than €37,500 you should not be charging VAT - you can but you have to elect to register yourself.

It would be great if photography was regulated like other similar industries are to set rates and stop people working for free, but I don't agree with the IPPA's proposal and I certainly wouldn't make another photographer's tax dealings my business. It's the job of the Revenue and I have no business getting involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

hmmm they should really concentrate on their core skills and marketing etc. running their businesses instead of sneaking around trying to do the Revenue Commissioners jobs eh?
    Times have changed, photography is almost a non-elitist activity these days - just get on with it huh?
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I am easily irritated and this definitely irritates me.

I am a photographer, it is my only source of income, I work at it 3-5 days a week sometimes more for quite little return for the moment. I am tax compliant, I have been since my very first paid job in 08. I am not an IPPA member. I do not label myself as a 'Professional Photographer' being a photographer is just that, call me professional or ametuer or whatever, to be honest I do not care. I would be extremely annoyed if I found someone reported me to the IPPA as being a working earning photographer so as they could report me to the tax man in the hope that they would send me broke and cause me to cease working due to having to sell gear to make up for a sudden large tax bill. Thankfully that will not happen but the idea that this is what they are after makes me wonder why anyone would pay a fee to be a member of this organisation.

My gut instinct tells me though that they are more likely going to try and advertise their services to these people, myself included. I have no interest, I have enough overheads to worry about without adding on a charge to be part of an organisation of 'pat the backs!'

My gut instinct tells me though that they are more likely going to try and advertise their services to these people, myself included. I have no interest, I have enough overheads to worry about without adding on a charge to be part of an organisation of 'pat the backs!'

haha, I have this mental image now of burly IPPA members wandering around the place in pairs, walking into other photographers studios and saying things like

"oo, nice setup you have here. shame if the tax man saw it, eh, eh ?? yeah yeah, lovely L lens there. pay VAT on that did ya ?, here love, why don't you just take out membership in the IPPA, eh ? No worries on the tax front any more if you know what I mean, eh ?, Eh ?? "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

IPPA is not a self regulatory organisation over photography industry in Ireland - am I right? its business is their own members.

a perfect example of a "busy body" indeed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement