Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who is Emigrating from ireland this year? as things get worse!

Options
  • 19-02-2010 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

Who is Emigrating this year from ireland? Emigration from ireland has grown over 50% since the 1980s Im thinking of Going to london for About 3-4 Months Cant find any jobs moving away is the only option im Afraid so who is Emigrating?? Where are u goin? Also: i wont be going on holidays this year im broke as it is! frown.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

RobitTV wrote: »
    Who is Emigrating this year from ireland? Emigration from ireland has grown over 50% since the 1980s Im thinking of Going to london for About 3-4 Months Cant find any jobs moving away is the only option im Afraid so who is Emigrating?? Where are u goin? Also: i wont be going on holidays this year im broke as it is! frown.gif

Just got back after 20 years.... gonna stick around a while :)

Edit - I should add... Look at it as a positive experience, plan out what you are going to do and use it to your advantage.. Due to the sheer size of countries like the UK there are many more opportunities to advance your chosen career and really gain some invaluable experience. It was the best thing i ever did in the late 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Well I came back from NZ last year, at the end of February and have struggled to find work since. When I got back I applied for a permanent residence visa under skilled migrant category and my application has been successful, all in all it cost me around €1500 for the medicals, application costs, fee's etc for two people, myself and my partner.
    I have until April to have my passport stamped and then a year from that date to travel to New Zealand. Seems to be more work available there from looking at seek.co.nz and I know the lay of the land already having been there for a year in working holiday.
    So it seem's I may indeed be emigrating for a while anyways at least.
    Anyone else in a similar situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,966 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Would love to emigrate but probably missed the boat due to age and i have a small mortgage here. Its terrible out there and it seems emigration is the only way for a lot of people. The downside to this is lack of any guarantees and in some cases the cost of emigrating. My Field (Hospitality) is in crisis at the moment with absolutely no sign of it picking up, once considered one of the safest professions to be in, sadly no longer and despite the BS from Failte Ireland, theres not a Hotel, restaurant or Bar in this country that has not let go staff or reduced hours. I suspect the economy will not turn around until 2012 if at all and this NAMA nonsense is going to explode in our faces at the latter part of this year.

Hard to be positive but every employment sector affected so if i could, i be on the next plane or boat out of here.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

majiktripp wrote: »
    Well I came back from NZ last year, at the end of February and have struggled to find work since. When I got back I applied for a permanent residence visa under skilled migrant category and my application has been successful, all in all it cost me around €1500 for the medicals, application costs, fee's etc for two people, myself and my partner.
    I have until April to have my passport stamped and then a year from that date to travel to New Zealand. Seems to be more work available there from looking at seek.co.nz and I know the lay of the land already having been there for a year in working holiday.
    So it seem's I may indeed be emigrating for a while anyways at least.
    Anyone else in a similar situation?

I worked in NZ as well and got a permanent residence visa. I had to come back to Ireland due to an injury, and can't go back to NZ because the visa expired. I found it much easier to find work over there. I found that workers were treated much better than over here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I know what you mean about the workers from experience, although there were asshats where I was working too, same as in Ireland.
    I think its possible to apply for citizenship after 4 years residence in the country which would get you a passport so could travel between Ireland/NZ but if you've been living their for the 4 years I imagine Ireland would be a distant enough memory.
    You should be able to re-apply for a residence visa as far as I know, it's not a one shot deal I believe, if it lapses or you dont go, you can re-apply but have to pay the fee's all over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

I was told by NZ immigration that I wouldn't be eligible to come back at all because I've been out of the country for longer than two years. The only exception would be if I got sponsorship from a company. But that's probably unlikely in the current climate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ajdb

RobitTV wrote: »

Possibly going to Belfast - will no more in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

I spent almost 2 years searching for a job in Ireland after graduating from college and couldnt get anything in my field (or any other field for that matter). I either was overqualified/under experienced for everything :rolleyes:. IMO, I just didnt know the right people - and in Ireland its very much who you know. I recently moved to the states to take up a great position in my field. I feel quite happy that I got this job based on my skill set and not through knowing someone. I am sad to be so far away from home but I know this is a great opportunity for me and it is so great to be working somewhere where everyone is here based on their own merit and where noone has to be carried along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Wuggectumondo

avalon68 wrote: »
    I spent almost 2 years searching for a job in Ireland after graduating from college and couldnt get anything in my field (or any other field for that matter). I either was overqualified/under experienced for everything :rolleyes:. IMO, I just didnt know the right people - and in Ireland its very much who you know. I recently moved to the states to take up a great position in my field. I feel quite happy that I got this job based on my skill set and not through knowing someone. I am sad to be so far away from home but I know this is a great opportunity for me and it is so great to be working somewhere where everyone is here based on their own merit and where noone has to be carried along.

So happy to hear your story!! I'm a year and a half after graduation and unemployed. How did you get the job in America?? Work experience in America is great, the visa situation seems like a pain in the ass though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

Im heading off to London like the OP. Graduated last year and haven't been able to find anything. There's nothing in this country for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭clarelad

dioltas wrote: »
    Im heading off to London like the OP. Graduated last year and haven't been able to find anything. There's nothing in this country for me.

Hi dioltas,have you managed to secure a job in london from ireland? would consider london also...

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

So happy to hear your story!! I'm a year and a half after graduation and unemployed. How did you get the job in America?? Work experience in America is great, the visa situation seems like a pain in the ass though

I came across it online, applied, had online interview and they sponsored me to come over on a J1 visa. Im working in a university though so that might be why it was easy enough for me to get a visa. My advice would be to keep applying outside of Ireland as out of all the applications I sent in for jobs, I was only ever called for interview for positions outside Ireland. I was really beginning to despair. I asked my new boss when I arrived here why she decided to hire me and she said I had an excellent cv and an impressive skill set. My excellent cv wasnt getting me through the layers of nepotism in Ireland though :mad: But it has all worked out for me - this university is far far more prestigious than any in Ireland, and is ranked very high in the world tables....;it just pisses me off no end that I was considered an excellent candidate here in a top notch institution and I couldnt even get an interview in Ireland....Their loss I say! ANyway Wuggectumondo, keep on applying, I hope you find something soon as I know how soul destroying job hunting can be

clarelad wrote: »
    Hi dioltas,have you managed to secure a job in london from ireland? would consider london also...

No haven't secured a job relating to my degree yet, I'm just heading over doing bar work for the moment and I'll continue to search while I'm over there.
    I've applied for a good few over there, but I think it would be easier to find something if you're already living there.

If I can find construction work I'll do that for a while instead of the bar work as I've more experience of it.

Badly need a change of scenery anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

dioltas wrote: »
    No haven't secured a job relating to my degree yet, I'm just heading over doing bar work for the moment and I'll continue to search while I'm over there.
    I've applied for a good few over there, but I think it would be easier to find something if you're already living there.

If I can find construction work I'll do that for a while instead of the bar work as I've more experience of it.

Badly need a change of scenery anyway.

How did you manage to get a bar job? What site did you get it through?

Just got a number from a lad I know over there, haven't the job yet like. Have to call in and see what the story is. So I'm just hoping for the best really. If I can't find something to keep me going I'll have to come home again. I don't know if there's really a good way to find those kind of jobs online.

You could try
    www.reed.co.uk
    and
    http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/

I'd say the best bet is asking just around for work. The more contacts the better like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭dazzlermac

im a carpenter heading to london....ina few weeks......any advice would be much appreciated:)

Advertisement