Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yellowhammer

Options
  • 17-02-2010 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭

During the past few summers, I've heard a yellowhammer singing in the vicinity of the house. Have only seem it from a distance usually on a telegraph wire.

Just saw a male and female in the garden. At least it looks like a yellowhammer pair.

IMG_5012_crop1.jpg

IMG_5010_crop1.jpg

IMG_5016_crop1.jpg

Images aren't great. Taken from about 20 metres at 500mm without support.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

First 2 shots are a yellowhammer, but I think the 3rd might be a greenfinch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I agree, the 3rd picture is a Greenfinch (no sign of the streaking of a hen Yellowhammer). Still, great to see Yellowhammer at all. Their numbers are in steep decline. I used to have dozens in the fileds surrounding my home but haven't had one for over 5 years now. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

They are still about in County Wexford and the distinctive "little bit of bread and no cheese" song is nice to hear in summer. If you hear it once never forgotten. If you're trying to locate the singing bird always look for the highest vantage point on the nearby trees and that's where it will be. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Not convinced about the greenfinch although its very like one. I have another pic with a definite yellow streak on the face and the two birds appeared to be together.

On greenfinches, I just spotted one with my bins with a load of moss in it's beak. Nest Building already?

I've certianly seen blue tits checking out the nest boxes around the garden but no building yet in the boxes.

Bought 2 of the swallow boxes from BWI this week, can't wait for them to come home to my porch.

Regards,

Sorry, but it's definately a Female Geenfinch.

Nest building won't be happening as such but the instinct will be getting stonger leading to pre-building behaviour.

Blue Tits can use Nest boxes all Winter as shelter.

Good luck with the Swallow boxes.

• Advertisement

Sorry, but it's definately a Female Geenfinch.

Nest building won't be happening as such but the instinct will be getting stonger leading to pre-building behaviour.

Blue Tits can use Nest boxes all Winter as shelter.

Good luck with the Swallow boxes.

Ok, I give in. ;)

E39MSport wrote: »
    Ok, I give in. ;)

:)

There's a yellowhammer singing here every day. It's been singing for a few weeks now and I think its the same bird that have sang in the same spot for the past 2 years.

Is this little guy looking for a mate?

(edit: I don't do my spotting case any justice by insisting that Greenfinch above is a yallowhammer - what was I thinking ? )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Smartypantsdig

I used to see the yellowhammer a lot in north County Dublin, but I haven't spotted one in ages :mad:. I had a huge hedge at the end of my garden when I lived in Rush, and it was a haven for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭ender ender

I used to see the yellowhammer a lot in north County Dublin, but I haven't spotted one in ages :mad:. I had a huge hedge at the end of my garden when I lived in Rush, and it was a haven for them.

Saw one off the Lusk ring road about two weeks ago (Raheny Lane). Not quite Rush but close! I was surprised how tame it was, he let us get within about 8 feet of it. Delighted, I'd never seen one before...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

We have a minimum of 3 yellow hammers (2 female and a male) around the house for at least a year now in West Donegal. Lovely birds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

They are lovely looking birds, is there anything I can put in my garden to possibly attract them?

I have 3 under the feeder at the moment. Is that unusual? I've never seen one at the feeder let alone 3.

Wonderful! Being seed eaters they will visit garden feeding stations but it doesn't happen too often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

An fast declining Irish bird:( To have one feeding in one's garden is a special treat:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

Since early December I've had them visit the garden everyday, the most at any one time was six but for the last 4 weeks or so its down to 3-4.
    From a previous thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70295060&postcount=279

Just lost one to a magnificent female Sparrowhawk :(

She's becoming very good at attacking. She popped out of the ditch this time and there was no alarm calls from the birds. Whereas she used to approach across the garden (nearly always taking the same line and giving herself away), she now may be travelling up the length of the ditch/stream and through the bushes unseen!

She took the bird out of the bush and landed on the ground about 15 feet in front of me as I went to top up the feeder. Took off after a few seconds with the prey screaming once she spotted me. I didn't see where she went unfortunately.

It could of course be a different bird but this is a very clever use of the landscape imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,634 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Still a reasonable population here along the Wicklow/Kildare border and in much of Co. Kildare itself. A real charming little bird and is probably the closest thing we have to a canary in the wild:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Have a pair in my garden at the moment at the peanut feeder. Beautiful birds, have never seen them before.

Also had a greenfinch visit and I haven't seen one of those in a long time.

EDIT: Actually I may have mistaken a pair of Sisken for the Yellowhammers. Confused hmmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I haven't heard one for a while but here is one courtesy of the RSPB. :)

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/y/yellowhammer/index.aspx

• Advertisement

Two calling yesterday. Same spot as the past few years.

Population seems to be growing locally which is brilliant :)

Advertisement