Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debt Collection

Options
  • 17-02-2010 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi All,

The sum of €9000 is owed to me, it is clear the individual does not want to pay this back in the slightest. Is there anything I can do? I have a personal loan agreement signed by him. If it was the case he turned around and said thats not my signature etc would I have anything to fall back on?

Do debt collectors take on personal loans or just business loans? Need all the help I can get.

Thanks, CM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

You'd have to ask debt collectors, if that's your chosen option.

I'd tell you to speak to a solicitor who will advise on the strengths of your case; if the person who owes is adamant they won't pay going to a debt collector is just paying money for letters which your solicitor will have to write again anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Debt collectors have no legal powers or basis on which to collect a debt any more efficiently than you can.

In carrying out their "duties", they will harrass and annoy the debtor, and in exchange will probably ask for a certain percentage cut, whether or not they actually manage to recover the debt. In the event that you end up in court anyway, it will look bad on you that you had an agency harrass the debtor for the money.

Contact a solicitor and pursue the matter civilly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 marshall11

True, but this guy lives at homes his parents are not aware of the loan. So I reckon if they were to go to his home there would be some sort of solution put in place, I dont want things getting messy but dont have any other option at this point.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Contact a solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CDML

Marshall you could try a debt collector. They will make contact with your debtor, letters, phone calls personal visit etc. Agree a percentage up front on a no collection no fee basis. It can be quicker and cheaper than using a solicitor. At least you will know in a short period of time if your debtor has any intention of paying you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭blueythebear

marshall11 wrote: »
    True, but this guy lives at homes his parents are not aware of the loan. So I reckon if they were to go to his home there would be some sort of solution put in place, I dont want things getting messy but dont have any other option at this point.

I'd go to his parents first and let them know. If they have some money themselves they might be inclined to do the decent thing and bail him out and you'll get paid. If not, seek a solicitors advice. It's a significant sum of money. Debt collectors won't manage a thing but to aggravate the situation and make you look bad when you inevitably have to go to court anyway because they couldn't obtain the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I'd go to his parents first and let them know.
    It's none of their business and you would have no business discussing his debt with them.

As stated debt collectors have no legal powers and they do not undertake personal visits. All they will do is write a few letters which the debtor will simply use to light the fire.

You are best off to see a solicitor with a view to issuing a civil bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

does a receiver appoint a debt collector, or do they use a different kind of debt collector?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

shouldn't have gave him money in first place, someone had to say it

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

This thread has gone as far as it can go. OP if you think you are not going to get repaid, then you are going to have to seek professional legal advice.

A debt collector can no more make him pay up than you can. Less in fact because you can take legal proceedings.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement