Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TBC Podcast http://www.thebostoncrab.net/ - WrestleZone Quiery

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Hey everybody. I know we had a previous thread about ways we could improve the PW Forum in the less popular months. My idea was to do a podcast.

Now its time to go balls to the wall and actually do a podcast. I do feel like I need a co-host. Is anybody willing to do one with me?

We could also use this thread to think of different ideas about the podcast.

Cheers ,
    DB.
    Fill Gerard C with whiskey and he'll say whatever you like.

I wouldn't fancy it now myself tbh and anyway I dunno would I be any good at this kinda thing. Tbh these things can be fierce cringeworthy to listen to sometimes and have been in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I know what ya mean. This wouldn't be one of those long Dr.Keith style shows. It might be a 30 minute bull**** talking podcast.

Wanna make use of my new Skype account :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Would one have to be in g-g-g-Galway to be your co-host?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Ask Hath

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pingi

You need a Minto to your Shawn Raven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Voltwad wrote: »

No you need Skype and a Headset/ Microphone and you can do it over the internet and one of you's record it. Its a good laugh in all honesty and I wish you lads the best of luck if you do it and you have a listener here.

From
    3 words Reganio

(Very few will get that :D)

Voltwad wrote: »
    No. You just need a headset and a mic. I got a phone in euro2 for 2 euro. If anybody is interested PM me and we can have a discussion about it.

I've been corrected. I just need to have a Skype account and I can ring the co-host(s). I just have to record the phonecall like a complete pervert. Quality wouldn't need to be professional or anything.

Diabhal, if you want to give it a trial run I'd be willing to guest co-host on the first one but I don't have no Skype

I won't be able to do anything till March by the looks of it which is a shame. If somebody else has the time in the next 2-3 weeks ( I envy you) I will gladly hand the reigns over for at least the time being.

I would like to get a bi-monthly podcast when we start as I think throughout any given month I would be able to record with a co-host at a suitable time.

Thanks for the offer Bubs. I may well take you up on your offer for the first show. If anybody else is interested (don't have to be a regular to the forum just have a general grasp of the current wrestling scene in WWE and maybe TNA). Just drop me a PM.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I'd be up for this. I have some experience on radio(someone oce said i had the perfect face for radio :pac:). I used to present a show on a local(voluntary) station not so long ago.

Edit: Hs anyone ever checked out some of the Boards podcasts? It could be done in the same way.

Their are many ways it can be done but I reckon Skype is the easiest in all honesty. I also reckon you get 3 people in to do it 1 Major host and then 2 guys to just pipe in or even 2 main hosts and then 1 guy that just chirps in every now and again like the old one. I think only 2 people leaves a lot of room for just silence which can be incredibly akward to listen to and makes you uncomfortable so 3 I reckon, anymore than that as well and you are pushing it. I might join in some time in the future if Skype works on this computer and I get a headset :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

God, it's been a while since I posted here!

I'm delighted to see that another podcast is in the works. I had a whole lot of fun with our early podcasts back in the day, however, as with life, scheduling conflicts, lack of interest and ultimately real life made the latter ones a chore tbh. Hopefully history doesn't repeat itself with podcast 2.0!

Anyways, I was just passing through, saw this thread and thought I'd offer the OP some advice re: the podcast:
    • Don't script the podcast! Ever! Scripts are great if you have a team of dedicated writers preparing each podcast minute by minute, but chances are you don't. By all means have a plan of action, but use it as a guideline and try to just go with the flow.
    • Keep an eye on time, it is very easy to get side tracked and go ranting (as listeners to the old podcast can testify to).
    • That joke you came up with before the show that you think is going to sound so funny and cool is going to backfire on you or it'll be nothing more that a polite, forced, chringey chuckle from you listener as they listen on the bus, in their car or at the gym.
    • Now a small word of warning. Choose your co-presenters carefully. One of the biggest drawbacks I found with the original podcast was the fact we were at different stages of our lives. I was a young student who was out at night and had most of my afternoons free, while Shaun was settling down in life and worked during the day. This may sound stupid or trivial at first, but made scheduling podcasts a nightmare.
    • Also, on the topic of scheduling the podcast, make sure you factor in time for prep work. A one hour podcast (give or take) would usually take double that to record with sound testing, planning of the show and other general bullsh*t.
    • One thing I always thought we should have done is keep it short and sweet! 30 mins (which I'm glad to see you're aiming for) is perfect time to do a podcast. Even tape for 40-45 mins and then edit it. Remember most people only have an attention span of 30 minutes (or 30 seconds if you listen to TNA's creative), so keep it around that mark.
    • I'll leave you with one final thought. Embrace any criticism you get! Learn from it and get better, but never let it get to you. People out there will talk about how you need to speak up, how you need to talk more about the indies and how you spent too much time ranting about how a big name wrestler took a sh*t in a Diva's purse, but until they have put on a headset and recorded a show, they don't know a f*cking thing about what it's like to do what you've done!
      **Disclaimer** I'm not referring to any single piece of criticism we received, just using general examples :)

That was a lot more than I intended to say, but I hope it will lead to a much easier settling in period for you OP and if you want to ask me anything, PM me, I'd be happy to help you out in anyway I can.

P.S. Enjoy it, cos it's a hell of a lot of fun while it lasts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Whats the criteria for being a co-presenter?

CMpunked wrote: »
    An opinion on wrestling nowadays and a landline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'd love to get in on this but I won't be free until May. I'll see how you're doing then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

An opinion on wrestling nowadays and a landline

Do a live report of the Portumna - Ballyhale Shamrock match, that'd be great craic.

Why have just one co presenter?
    I know 'threes a crowd', but could put a nice spin on things.

Why have just one co presenter?
    I know 'threes a crowd', but could put a nice spin on things.
    That's the plan. I'd have two co-presenters with me but I don't want to have to ring 2 landlines (money is tight these days). I'd like to at most ring one landline and have somebody else using Skype too.

Does anybody want to do this with me? Bubs said he would but I'd like a rotating group of presenters.

Gerard.C wrote: »
    Do a live report of the Portumna - Ballyhale Shamrock match, that'd be great craic.
    I'm afraid that the whole show would be me ripping seven shades of ****e out of Cha and bias towards all Cannings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Id definitely give it a go!:cool::pac:

You have to be a mod of at least 3 forums.

I mod 3 bebo pages, does that count? :P

No criteria needed. Thanks for the interest lads. Hopefully we can start planning properly soon.

That's the plan. I'd have two co-presenters with me but I don't want to have to ring 2 landlines (money is tight these days). I'd like to at most ring one landline and have somebody else using Skype too.

Does anybody want to do this with me? Bubs said he would but I'd like a rotating group of presenters.

Why are you doing it on a landline? I think its just so much easier to do on a computer (Skype) and its free as well, you are going to record it using something on your computer I assume so whyn ot just do it all on the computer, obviosuly it dosn't really matter to me but it just seems silly to do it over the phone.

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Why are you doing it on a landline? I think its just so much easier to do on a computer (Skype) and its free as well, you are going to record it using something on your computer I assume so whyn ot just do it all on the computer, obviosuly it dosn't really matter to me but it just seems silly to do it over the phone.
    I'm recording it using Skype and Audacity. I just figured that alot of people don't have Skype and wouldn't have headsets or anything like that. Are you on Skype Reganio?

Bubs101 wrote: »
    You have to have been banned from PW at least three times.:pac:

FYP. Otherwise you're no craic.:pac::pac:

flahavaj wrote: »
    FYP. Otherwise you're no craic.:pac::pac:
    Has to be while SR was in charge too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Woody101

I used to do a pro wrestling podcast years ago with Joe Legend. We had a lot of fun doing it and got to interview some great people, Colt Cabana, Raven, DDP, Kurt Angle, SOS, Terri Runnels etc... I used to be a big pro wrestling fan back then. Joe Legend and I are still good friends till this day, I wish you guys the best of luck with the podcast.

• Advertisement

I'm recording it using Skype and Audacity. I just figured that alot of people don't have Skype and wouldn't have headsets or anything like that. Are you on Skype Reganio?

Not on this computer, used to have it on my laptop which is brokeded. How are you recording it using Skype on the phone? Are you going to ring a house phone on Skype? Tell them to fork out you can probably get a headset/mic thing for like a fiver, and Skype is free anyway :D.

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Not on this computer, used to have it on my laptop which is brokeded. How are you recording it using Skype on the phone? Are you going to ring a house phone on Skype? Tell them to fork out you can probably get a headset/mic thing for like a fiver, and Skype is free anyway :D.
    I know but I'll ring for the first show. They can get their the second show.

Woody101 wrote: »
    I used to do a pro wrestling podcast years ago with Joe Legend. We had a lot of fun doing it and got to interview some great people, Colt Cabana, Raven, DDP, Kurt Angle, SOS, Terri Runnels etc... I used to be a big pro wrestling fan back then. Joe Legend and I are still good friends till this day, I wish you guys the best of luck with the podcast.

*Name dropper* :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Woody101

*Name dropper* :P

:D Good times.....

Bump

Let's do this guys!!!! Today is a good day for recording IMO. Might be able to do it later ( 5ish maybe ).

If ye're interested just say so.

I now have experience. Wanna do it anyone?

• Advertisement

Let's do it. I have 8 euro Skype credit BTW.

Id give it a go especially if it where a round table sort of thing..

It will no doubt. 3 people for 1st show at most though.

PM me your details and I'll see if we can arrange a date.

What gear do i need to do it? just Skype and a headset?

I would prefer Skype for the 1st show I'll use the Skype credit to ring ya. I'd love to not have to pay but what can ya do for the 1st show?

Please just get a mic and a headset if possible (I got a phone gimmick in euro2 for 2 euro) for the next show. PM me the details and I can arrange a good time for both of us.

• Advertisement

Please discuss how Waterford can best handle Aisake in a few weeks time

Will do Ger. Might need your assistance though as Galwegians can't even draw with Offaly without a dodgy sideline point.

Will do Ger. Might need your assistance though as Galwegians can't even draw with Offaly without a dodgy sideline point.

I've no skype or nothing bai, I barely have broadband here!

Gerard.C wrote: »
    Please discuss how Waterford can best handle Aisake in a few weeks time

A ladder and a hatchet will do the trick bah.

No probs Ger. I'd love to do some sort of preview recording tonight. Anyone interested. No Skype needed for tonight.

C'mon somebody must want to do a podcast?

I've always wanted to do a wrestling radio show/podcast but i'm not free from exams until the end of August. I don't wanna jerk you around by coming in now for a week or two and having to bail :o

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I've always wanted to do a wrestling radio show/podcast but i'm not free from exams until the end of August. I don't wanna jerk you around by coming in now for a week or two and having to bail :o
    We could do a tester. Just to have one in the bag would be great.

Im free all day tomorrow DB

OK Walter. I'm free too. Would you be OK for midday?

• Advertisement
Advertisement