Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barret or Intervention?

Options
  • 12-02-2010 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

hey guys, i know this has probably been asked a hundred times but i dont care and i wanted to ask it again :D. So i used to always use the intervention until lately when i started to use the Barret .50 cal. i really enjoy using the two and am often changing the two snipers back and forth in my classes.

The problem is, i am going to prestige soon and i really dont know which sniper to use when i start off again? I like to only choose one sniper when i start off so i can get the attachments and camos. As i said i used to use the intervention alot, so which gun do u think i should use now?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

Personally , the intervention is better , being a bolt action means its easier to quick scope.
    In saying that i think the wa2000 is very under rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭RustyBeanTin

neither, i tried using these before hiding on roofs and windows or whatever but i just wasnt getting the kill count that i wanted and when i tried to run with it i got owned everytime, get yourself a good assualt rifle and you'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭JamieDev

neither, i tried using these before hiding on roofs and windows or whatever but i just wasnt getting the kill count that i wanted and when i tried to run with it i got owned everytime, get yourself a good assualt rifle and you'll be fine
    love sniping and am getting way better with it! so u dont use any sniper? i always need a sniper class in my classes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Barret, I find is better on some maps as you can sprint a little bit faster and can aim a little bit quicker.Also stand more of a chance getting a hip fire kill if some one pounces out at ya unexpectedly compared to the intervention. However, I do love the intervention as you will nearly almost always get a one shot kill with it unless you shoot some one in the foot.Its also a bit trickier to get used to compared to the barret.
    Originally Posted by RustyBeanTin viewpost.gif

The trick with sniping is to move from spot to spot after a few kills so you don't get some angry guy coming back on you, also try to avoid the common sniping places in areas as you can bet another sniper is keeping a scope on it. The shed in estate where the b flag normally is, is a prime example of this. Never snipe from there you'll be dead in 2 seconds, everyone that starts sniping goes there because its so obvious same for the windows in the main house.
    I find that I get a higher kill count sometimes with sniping. Got a 40:3 with a 30 killstreak there last week with the old intervention on estate, of course that was with the killstreaks as well, not just shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

intervention ftw, got my first nuke with it today :cool:

600th post :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

You left out and sit in a bush until someone runs past, then get the cheap kill

Got a harty laugh out of me to read you advising anyone else on how to play the game though, so thanks for that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭RustyBeanTin

Rb wrote: »
    You left out and sit in a bush until someone runs past, then get the cheap kill

Got a harty laugh out of me to read you advising anyone else on how to play the game though, so thanks for that :pac:
    i had a nicely worded reply written here for you but ive decided to whittle it down to 2 words

what ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Btwndeyes

defo the intervention.. the recoil on the barrett sucks ass and the power lacks.. and i think the intervention sounds hot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Barret for me feels like you can drop a elephant with this rifle.
    I have around over 3000 kills on my intervention, but personally I rather the barret.

They both do the same damage from what I have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭craze7

Snipers suck, the game is far too small for sniping. Save it for Battle Field!

I once got killed by a sniper on derailed, he was on the third floor of that building on the roof, i spawned on the complete other side of the map and with my scar with silencer and iron sight i killed him just by knowing the map and shooting in his direction, i couldn't even see him tbh! Sweetest payback ever i reckon!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Mandalore87

The Barrett for me, It just gets me a hell of a lot more kills than the Intervention does.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,100 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Sniper rifles are the only guns that take skill to master in this game. Assault rifles are all overpowered and the lack of recoil is stupid. However when you get good at sniping you are untouchable.

The people that you will regularly find complaining about snipers are people who don't know how to use them

In answer to the OP, I've always used the Barrett, probably because I've only consistently sniped since I prestiged for the first time and I didn't want to split the challenges. My more skilled friends all mainly use the Intervention.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

After seeing Tallons videos I moved to the Intervention right away.
    I used to use the WA2000 but that got a little easy and the Intervention is hard to master but it's great fun using it :).
    Have over 500 headshots with it now :) Fall camo and everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭UnionOfV

I haven't used the Intervention much but any time I tried was a disaster, just didn't feel like a typical sniper rifle to me. Currently 3 of my classes are Barretts with different attachments. A friend of mine tried hard to master the Intervention, but after a while was almost forced to switch back his kill count was so low. Guess it depends on the player.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭robz18

Barrett for me, that M21 isn't too bad, seems weaker though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

robz18 wrote: »
    Barrett for me, that M21 isn't too bad, seems weaker though.
    M21 is very underpowered in anything but Hardcore. i use the WA2000 on core and M21 on hardcore.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

M21 is very underrated. Despite it being weak, the lack of recoil means you'll still get that 2nd shot on the enemy in a split second after the first shot.

Took me awhile to get used to the Intervention, like untill the 3rd prestige :p
    But it's rather straightforward to use now.

In COD4, I used 2 snipers, R700(RIP) and the 50 Cal mainly. The M40 was everybody's sniper of choice but I decided to go against the curve. I just the love the look of the 50 Cal and the sound was immense. Quick scoping was ridiculously simple with the 50 Cal I found. So I have a soft spot for it and will always favour that over the Intervention, likewise R700>>>Intervention for moi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

In my last prestige i mainly used the Intervention but was never gone on it , however during my current prestige iv been using the Barrett & its beastly,racking up between 10-15 sniping kills per game of Demolition .

Just played right now on Terminal & was up on the oil tanker beside the plane just picking them off with the Thermal scope on - ended up with a 57-9 with roughly 25-30 kills from the trusty Barrett!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Quick scoping with intervention w/ acog for me. Love the intervention because of its one shot kill ability and i used it before the 50 cal when i got the game so was always my primary sniper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭zero86r

Intervention for me, i really wish we had the R700 in the game though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭shanec1928

intervention cant be beaten

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Was using the WA2000 originally which I quite liked, now having prestiged I'm using the Barrett but I've started using the Intervention which is definitely much better if you want to move around a lot and I find it more accurate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭UnionOfV

As an update to me last post, I take back what I said - the intervention is my new sniper rifle of choice. Probably not for beginners, since you need a decent aim and it's pretty much useless if you're being fired upon, but it's potent!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭JamieDev

i'd say im going to use the intervention when i start off again, it feels like wherever you hit them its going to be a 1 shot kill! and i've mastered it now and its alot funner to use! i can actually quick scope now without a acog :D been practising for ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭shawpower

Meatwad wrote: »
    Barret, I find is better on some maps as you can sprint a little bit faster and can aim a little bit quicker.Also stand more of a chance getting a hip fire kill if some one pounces out at ya unexpectedly compared to the intervention. However, I do love the intervention as you will nearly almost always get a one shot kill with it unless you shoot some one in the foot.

I'm not saying you are wrong here about your comparison One Shot kills (1SK) between the guns, but I did want to clear up something. The stats of the Intervention aren't giving you more 1SKs than the 50cal. It is just personal preference and better feel for that gun.

The damage values all the sniper rifles are the same. They all deal 70 damage as a base number with 50 damage when silenced. The Barrett and Intervention are identical for multipliers also. So basically anything above the bottom of the ribcage is a 1SK. The barrett has the clear advantage of quicker fire rate. Apart from that, it seems to be solely personal preference. Some people just like and do better with certain guns. It's purely to do with the feel of it though, rather than having any stats benefit.

With the WA2000 there is a slight restriction on one of the 5 multipliers compared to the 50cal/Intervention. If you hit between the ribcage and the waist, you will not get a 1SK even with Stopping power. The MBR suffers even worse, with two weakened multipliers. However these guns have other benefits like Automatic fire that appeal to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Detrimental2u

Barrett is better.

More bullets
    Larger Mag
    Semi-Automatic

Only thing the Intervention has going for it is the faster reload time (which is miniscule when both have SoH as perk 1).

That said, I use both. I have a class set up with ACOG Intervention and one setup with Thermal Barrett.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,428 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Do what I do..
    Each prestige I finish the challenges for each gun in all categories..
    by far the hardest was the Intervention for the 40 FMJ kills through walls etc..
    With the Barret/WA2000 and the M21 it was dead easy due to getting the 2nd shot in earlier but the Intervention was a tough one :)
    This way I'm quite capable of using all the sniper guns with no problems..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Scar_L wrote: »
    Do what I do..
    Each prestige I finish the challenges for each gun in all categories..
    sounds like a waste of XP no ?

By far the best sniper rifle is the M21 for several reasons.

1) Rapid fire rate. If you dont one shot kill you can fire another 5 or 6 rounds into the dude. Especially awesome if you have extended clip you can take out hordes of guys at once. Had that setup once on Highrise and 4 guys came running at me at once when I was prone in the central area under the chopper. 4 headshots fired off in about 2-3 seconds and they all dead and didn't even get a chance to react and I still had bullets left. You can't do that with an intervention - at most you get one guy, maybe 2 if they very slow and then you are dead.

2) Far better than any other sniper gun for hipfiring. guy srpings out on you just hipfire as quick as you can and as often as not you will win

3) Stick an ACOG scope on it and you essentially have an ultra long range assault rifle thanks to the clip size and rapid fire rate. Bling it with an extended clip and you can pretty much run around close quarters maps using ACOG and hipfiring and own people, whislt switching into stealth sniping mode when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,428 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

sounds like a waste of XP no ?

No..I mean during while I rank up not after I prestige..
    By far the best sniper rifle is the M21 for several reasons.

1) Rapid fire rate. If you dont one shot kill you can fire another 5 or 6 rounds into the dude. Especially awesome if you have extended clip you can take out hordes of guys at once. Had that setup once on Highrise and 4 guys came running at me at once when I was prone in the central area under the chopper. 4 headshots fired off in about 2-3 seconds and they all dead and didn't even get a chance to react and I still had bullets left. You can't do that with an intervention - at most you get one guy, maybe 2 if they very slow and then you are dead.

And there goes the whole point of being a sniper :)
    You're supposed to be unseen..if ur taking more than 2 shots to kill a guy obviously sniping isn't for you..
    And have a good backup gun....the M93 rattaca for instance...this gun with red eye is absolutely lethal and is one of the most underrated guns in the game..
    Hell you could use this as your primary gun and still rack up the kills with it..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Scar_L wrote: »
    And there goes the whole point of being a sniper :)
    You're supposed to be unseen..if ur taking more than 2 shots to kill a guy obviously sniping isn't for you..
    And have a good backup gun....the M93 rattaca for instance...this gun with red eye is absolutely lethal and is one of the most underrated guns in the game..
    Hell you could use this as your primary gun and still rack up the kills with it..

Way to completely ignore the second half of my point in my reply that you quoted. m21 rules for taking on multiple enemies at once

Advertisement