Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Port Blocking on Android (Google Sync)

Options
  • 12-02-2010 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Anyone know if there has been any progress been made with trying to get Meteor to resolve the blocked ports issues on the Hero? I have been following the thread on the Meteor forums (here) & the responses from Meteor have been hugely unsatisfactory & they seem to be completely ignoring customers complaints.

squire

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

have you tried to call them?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ankhwatcher

I just called meteor about this now. They gave me some BS excuse about it being an issue with "the android stack" that Google would fix.

By the way my favourite twitter application that works around meteors blockage is Twicca, what is yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dublin geek

squire23 wrote: »
    Anyone know if there has been any progress been made with trying to get Meteor to resolve the blocked ports issues on the Hero?

squire
    I use Google Calendar on Meteor with HTC Hero. In general, sync works fine. Syncing did stop at one stage, but I think it was a Google sync problem rather than a Meteor problem. I followed the troubleshooting guide on Google, and that fixed the problem, by clearing out the calendar data and re-syncing. See below.

http://www.google.com/support/mobile...&answer=114500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

I use Google Calendar on Meteor with HTC Hero. In general, sync works fine. Syncing did stop at one stage, but I think it was a Google sync problem rather than a Meteor problem. I followed the troubleshooting guide on Google, and that fixed the problem, by clearing out the calendar data and re-syncing. See below.

http://www.google.com/support/mobile...&answer=114500
    It works fine on WiFi, but not through Meteor's data network. Meteor themselves have admitted this.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

I just called meteor about this now. They gave me some BS excuse about it being an issue with "the android stack" that Google would fix.
    Seems like a classic case of they either haven't a bloody clue how to fix it or are just ignoring the issue. The thread in the Meteor forums is a joke. The Meteor guy hardly ever responds to it & when he does all he says is that they're hoping to have it fixed soon. He's been saying that since November!
    Kensington wrote: »
    It works fine on WiFi, but not through Meteor's data network. Meteor themselves have admitted this.
    Yeah, it's been well documented that the problem is with Meteor & nothing to do with either Android or the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

Meteor are just being lazy as hell i mean the phone has been out about 6months at this stage and they have been aware of the problem within the first week!

Is that forum thread locked for everyone else? Or is there some wierdness with my account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

Is that forum thread locked for everyone else? Or is there some wierdness with my account?

There are a few threads dedicated to the port blocking/sync issues. This was one of the first and biggest. If it's this one you are referring to it is not locked, but it may as well be given the lack of response to the issue. I am really getting jack of the reliance on wifi to sync this phone properly.

I think listen is broken in the new update because it tries to use the blocked ports too.
    Bloody meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭YIA

It looks like they may have fixed it...
    I've tested Calendar from my laptop to Hero, and from hero to Google.
    Syncing in both directions ad edits syncing.

Can't comment on Contacts...

But looking good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Reported as fixed on the Meteor Forums too (by one person, but still!)

Looks promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

It's working on my hero - so far (we'll see how well it performs) . I'm very disappointed with how meteor handled this...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Could it be?
    Has someone in the meteor tech department figured out a port isn't something ships come into?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

Calendar and Contacts are syncing on my Hero over Meteors network...finally.

My phone works completely for the first time! Nirvana!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭YIA

Now the only problem left seems to be the dropped coverage when switching Edge/ 3G...
    But I'm deffinitely glad this problem is finally sorted!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Well, it's still rendering Tweetcaster, one of the best Android twitter clients, totally useless.

I'm very unimpressed with Meteor's handling of this whole issue.

They also seem to be blocking posts on the issue on their own forum. Stuff I have put up has not appeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Yeah, I tried to register and haven't been accepted yet, even...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

some apps still not working for me...

Haven't had any port problems myself, just the network drop-off thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭long_b

Gallery and seesmic not working on the nexus
    Bluefoam wrote: »
    some apps still not working for me...

Gallery??

Solair wrote: »
    Well, it's still rendering Tweetcaster, one of the best Android twitter clients, totally useless.

I'm very unimpressed with Meteor's handling of this whole issue.

They also seem to be blocking posts on the issue on their own forum. Stuff I have put up has not appeared.
    I stand corrected.
    It seems meteor have, instead of opening the blocked ports, simply whitelisted Google.
    So the broken Google features are now working (although Listen is still acting weird) but Seesmic, Tweetcaster etc are still broken.
    Bloody Meteor.

Well Touiteur and Twidroid both work for me on Meteor...

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

Baza210 wrote: »
    Gallery??

guess he means the Picasa part of the gallery

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭long_b

nmesisca wrote: »
    guess he means the Picasa part of the gallery

Yes he does it was working yesterday on 02

Ok, well I have all of the following internet applications working fine :

DoggCatcher
    Reddit is fun
    NewsRob
    Twidroid
    Layar
    AndFTP
    AndChat

I haven't been able to get Listen to sign-in though.

Advertisement