Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend an Underrated Anime Thread

• 11-02-2010 6:48pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So you come across this anime that is decidedly brilliant, did you? Want to share your finding with us, do you? Post here and share the love!

I recommend Zombie Loan for anyone looking for a Zombie anime with a few twists of course :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

Code Geass.

nono, I jest. Seikai no Senki is a goodun if you like your space operas, although most people will have watched it, already, realistically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I recommend Zombie Loan for anyone looking for a Zombie anime with a few twists of course :pac:

I have a theory that as soon as you put either a zombie or a dinosaur in something, it instantly doubles in awesomeness. (the universe might just implode if BOTH appeared on screen at once!)
    Will definitely have to check out some zombie anime now, that sounds right up my street!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

kinda only new to watching anime but im enjoying death note and mushishi

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭DandareRastaban

If I neeed to recommend something really GOOD... and well unknown and Underrated then it would be....

Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpuchou
    This anime is really nice and have many things I like like:
    -Unlinear script with lot of twists of action
    -Some really nice fights
    -Interesting and well build characters

Yet not many people know it despite it had 2 seasons >_>
    tokyo-majin_1.jpg
    Miss Alucard say: I WANT YOU XD!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

If I neeed to recommend something really GOOD... and well unknown and Underrated then it would be....

Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpuchou
    This anime is really nice and have many things I like like:
    -Unlinear script with lot of twists of action
    -Some really nice fights
    -Interesting and well build characters

Yet not many people know it despite it had 2 seasons >_>
    tokyo-majin_1.jpg
    Miss Alucard say: I WANT YOU XD!

Looks decent enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭craze7

Easy, Hajime no Ippo - Fighting Spirit is probably one of the best anime tv shows around it almost makes you want to join a boxing club (imagine Rocky 1,2 and 3 in cartoon form!!☺)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

i'd recommend Basilisk, don't ever hear it get many mentions but it's a quality show

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Funky wrote: »
    i'd recommend Basilisk, don't ever hear it get many mentions but it's a quality show

what makes it interesting may i ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

it's about 2 ninja clans who hate each other but were forced to be at peace for years. to decide the next leader of japan or something they are told to face off against each other again by choosing like 12 ninja on each side and whoever kills the other side first wins, not shounen style either much more adult

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Battle Angel Alita

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

unreggd wrote: »
    Battle Angel Alita

oh +1 to that

devilman,fist of the north star,wicked city and monster city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ILoveSesshomaru

Bastard! unfortunately there are only 13 episodes and it was supposed to be continued, its kind of pervy lol but its really funny

also Paranoia Agent. one of my favourites, not really the typical anime but i think its really awesome! also only 13 episodes :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

yeah paranoia agent is awesome. bit of a mindfook at the end though.

on another short series, i recommend Eden of the East. fantastic animation with an intruiging storyline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Noein - mō hitori no kimi

Stylistically, the animation itself is really impressive - a mix of some regular cel animation with some raw and powerful line-drawn fight scenes, and even some CGI elements.

The story is mindblowingly awesome, and it's what kept me hooked: here's a cut from Wikipedia:
    Fifteen years in one of the possible futures, a violent battle using fictional technology takes place between two "time-spaces": La'cryma, a possible future of our own universe, and Shangri-La, another possible dimension fifteen years after ours, intent on the destruction of all space and time. The key to stopping Shangri'la's invasion is a mysterious object known as the "Dragon Torque" (竜のトルク, Ryū no Toruku?). A group known as the "Dragon Knights" is sent through space and time to find it. In the present, twelve-year old Haruka and her friend Yū are contemplating running away from home when they meet a member of the Dragon Knights named Karasu, who is a possible Yū from fifteen years in the future. Karasu believes that Haruka is the Dragon Torque, but vows to protect her rather than sacrifice her for his timespace, La'cryma. Other than the Dragon Knights, Haruka is targeted by the mysterious Noein, the entity behind Shangri'la who is intent on bringing her into his timespace to end all universes.

Can easily say it's my favourite series, yet it doesn't seem to be anything as popular as Deathnote, Bleach, Ninja Scroll etc

Oh and watch the version with the original Japanese voices, english subtitles - the voices in the english sub are grating, and for me didn't convey the same level of emotion

Here's the opening sequence, just to give a taste:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Fnz

Dunno if it would be considered "brilliant" but I'd recommend checking out the one, and only, season of Scryed (or "s-CRY-ed"). It's... charming. Reminds me of what I loved about anime when I first got into it.

The protagonist has a Naruto-esque "even if you say so... I... will ... never give up.... not until ALL my bones are broken.... aaaAAAARRRRRGGGHHHH!!!!" attitude. They're not exactly the same but just in case that's a big turn off for you.

Some flavour footage below if you can bear the music. Stop the video at the 2 minute mark if you're sensitive to low to medium grade spoilers.

on another short series, i recommend Eden of the East. fantastic animation with an intruiging storyline

You mean "which MAY be a short series, but probably won't be, because the director is a known hack who'll try to wring us for all our money".
    and "with an intruiging storyline so far" ?

Series great, ending was crap, cos films coming out, yet to see films, so I dunno how good they were :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

12 Kingdoms. It starts off a bit meh but really picks up. Unfortunately it got dropped in the middle of the last (and what was shaping up to be the best) story arc. But the rest of the stories are pretty much standalone arcs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 orchiles

code geass!:mad:

Code Geas is hardly underrated, it's overrated if anything. Its good and all but its not exactly the Death Note quality I was promised.

OP, try Dennou Coil, its awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Burkie.EXE

Baccano is amazing. A bit confusing for the first 1 or 2 episodes but after that it's impossible not to like.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni is amazing aswell. I can't recommend it enough, seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 bell22

yeah paranoia agent is awesome. bit of a mindfook at the end though.

I just saw the first episode of Eden of the East and it's pretty good I think. I'll continue to watch it :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I'd give Basilisk a vote too, great show.

Also I'd say Jyo-Oh-Sei, doesn't seem to get much of a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mairtin.l

Trigun
    Cowboy bebop
    History's strongest disciple kenichi
    Buso Renkin
    Chrome Shelled Regious
    Black Lagoon

Some are well known but if you haven't seen them take a look

mairtin.l wrote: »
    Trigun
    Cowboy bebop
    History's strongest disciple kenichi
    Buso Renkin
    Chrome Shelled Regious
    Black Lagoon

Some are well known but if you haven't seen them take a look

i'd only consider two of them underrated, one of them terrible, one of them overrated, one great, and one so-so

Buso Renkin and Chrome Shelled Regious the two you probably did not like are only ok but it is hard to find good anime these days. Any suggestions ??

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blueboyd

Barefoot Gen

i dont think ill sleep tonight after seeing that :). It looks good ill look it up hajime no ippo is another anime worth looking up

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

tman wrote: »
    I have a theory that as soon as you put either a zombie or a dinosaur in something, it instantly doubles in awesomeness. (the universe might just implode if BOTH appeared on screen at once!)
    Will definitely have to check out some zombie anime now, that sounds right up my street!!

Read the malazan books of the fallen..they have something I can only describe as zombie velociraptors with swords for arms.:P

zombie velociraptors with swords for arms.:P
    so-much-win.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Hill Bicks

you've all probably seen it but its class anywho..

Eve no Jikan

only 6 episodes long, its a bit of a disappointment in that sense, but overall, a very high quality and underrated anime

Basically Androids are used in housework and stuff and obey humans, and the story revolves around a café where robots and humans are treated equally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 David2

Most of the anime that I watch tends to be the big ones- Naruto/Naruto:Shippuuden, Bleach, OP, Death Note, Fairy Tail etc., but a relatively underrated one is he Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. First season is epic, but the second season is pretty crap tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 wildwildwest

Berserk : Watch the anime which only covers a tiny part of the actual story. It is absolutely epic and simply brilliant beyond what words can describe.
    I suggest watching the anime to get a feel of it, but some of you might feel it slightly dated since its a good few years old. The manga on the other hand is amazing, its one of the longest running manags in Japan. The artwork is unreal in detail. A truly aswesome as hell story. Well worth watching and reading.

Gantz : Was released a few years back. Fantastic Anime series, make sure its the uncut version you watch. Unfortunately it only covers part of the story, they made up there own ending. But the manga is great and is still ongoing, I think its really in its final part now. Again I suggest watching the Anime first, then going onto read the manga.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Eve no Jikan

only 6 episodes long, its a bit of a disappointment in that sense, but overall, a very high quality and underrated anime

Basically Androids are used in housework and stuff and obey humans, and the story revolves around a café where robots and humans are treated equally

That looks cool but only 6 episodes..I'd watch but I'd be so annoyed that it was over :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Kaiba.

Super trippy, almost childish art style hiding a very mature* story about the power of memory.

*not even kidding: do NOT let your kids see this!

*edit*
    Can't forget The Tree Song:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭T83

Im sure some of you will have seen and heard of all of these but for anyone that hasnt:

Texhnolyze (If you like Lain...)
    Rahxephon (Better than Eva)
    Outlaw Star (well you said underrated)
    Gilgamesh
    Now and Then, Here and There (seriously underviewed if not underrated)
    Kino's Journey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 softwaretool

soulmate
    spring time

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Burkie.EXE

Baccano!- One of the best animes I've ever seen, it's ridiculously good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Burkie.EXE wrote: »

Baccano!- One of the best animes I've ever seen, it's ridiculously good.
    BACCANO! is extremely good :D and it is well known for its excellency i believe!

i was gonna come in and suggest:

Turn A Gundam...........

Gundam isn't underrated >.>
    Baccano isn't either, tbh.

Eve No Jikan was turned into a film, btw. I wonder if it's gonna be any different from le OVA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

gearoidof wrote: »
    Gundam isn't underrated >.>
    TURN-A Gundam is completely underrated, I would feel -- not the Gundam franchise as a whole (which is mostly over-rated, Seed/Seed Destiny especially :mad:).

Turn-A was Tomino's cool-down period. Traps instead of massacres.
    I must get around to finishing it at some point...

Anyone seen the Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou OVAs?
    I only read the manga (which is hauntingly beautiful, btw).

Advertisement