Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***Match Thread*** Mon 8/2 19:30 3RRB vs Steau needarest

Options
  • 07-02-2010 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Keeper -

Clayton - In

Defenders -

Cathal - In
    Dan - In
    Ed - In
    Geoff - In
    Graham - In
    Mick - Out
    Michael - In
    Keith - College
    Andy - Out

Midfielders -

Alan - Out
    Collie - Injured
    Conor - In
    Dave - Work
    Gav - In
    Martin - In
    Kenny - In

Strikers -

Art - Injured
    Gary - In
    Jules - In
    Ciaran - In

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Mall10357

i am in for this one

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Mall10357

Make Sure that Gary has my Golves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

alri des if your stuck for players i might be able to show up.gota let me know soon though so i can sort out how im going to get there as i dont have a car and im from palmerstown

I'm sure Des would have no problem with you coming down, no guarantee of a game though. What position do you play?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i feel like shi* today, dying sick.

play left and right wing or as a support striker playin just behind the main.
    dont suppose any you guys are from aroun my area driving no haha?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

mrDerek wrote: »
    im from palmerstown

Erm its alright we've enough people :p:p

haha cheeky :D tis a nice respectable area ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Best of luck boys

• Advertisement

can you guys let me know soon if yous are short players?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Hey mrDerek. Looks like we have 14 players tonight so we're not short. Des (our manager) may not be online at the moment, but I'd say you should come down if you can make it and have a look and maybe get a run out. If not this week then give Des a PM and see if next week might work.

Hey mrDerek. Looks like we have 14 players tonight so we're not short. Des (our manager) may not be online at the moment, but I'd say you should come down if you can make it and have a look and maybe get a run out. If not this week then give Des a PM and see if next week might work.

thanks frank for the reply.
    if yous have the full 14 i think me being there would be surplus so ill give it a miss maybe next time.good luck in the game :)

Lost 4-1. Conceded 3 horrible goals before half time. Got one back with a flick from Ciaran. I missed a sitter to make it 3-2 and Clay was sin binned and we conceded a fourth while we were pushing in.

In summary we were shocking, we're so disorganised at the back, there's no one back there calling the shots. In midfield we were piss poor, Gav and Conor done their best, Conor was excellent, Gav looked a little unfit but gave 100% as always. Me and Kenny were poor against 2 centre mids who never tried to dominate the play but were handed it on a plate due to our lack of ability. It just wasn't good enough and I'll hold my hand up and say, despite giving my all, I just wasn't good enough.

Another thing to note is that while I think it's acceptable to argue and talk with your team mates on the pitch once it's constructive, there was one comment in the 2nd half were one of our players called another a coward. That sort of **** isn't on, it's totally unacceptable. We might be going out there and making a ****ing cock and balls of it but I didn't see one player out there who wasn't giving 100%. That sort of snide remark is the sort of **** that goes on on rubbish teams with piss poor team spirit. If we're going to descend to that sort of ****e when we don't get our way then we'll never win anything. Pathetic.

Agree it was a very disappointing performance. We were truly dire in the first half and despite playing some lovely football at many times in the second half but got no return from it, but you have to say it's a harsh scoreline. They're a middle of the road side but we made them look good. That said, I can only think of a couple of other shots that they had that they didn't score - they were clinical with what we gave them.

We lacked the edge and fight at the back to close them down early enough and to just focus on the basics of clearing our lines. Being able to play passing football from the back is not a right, it's a privilege you have to earn by first doing whatever it takes to put the opposition on the back foot and to earn you the momentum and territory. Once you've earned that, you can play whatever way you like. Think everyone would agree that I'm a passing footballer, but I often have to ask the defence and midfield to just play more direct for a period. What I'm asking them is just to focus on clearing their lines by hook or by crook, all I'm doing is asking them to play the game that is in front of them, not the game they may want to play. Points in the second half demonstrated that to good effect - we longballed it for a while, they backed off in anticipation of those threatening balls, and we then had space to play it out of defence largely through the fullbacks. Having them on the back foot was the key enabler for that.

And yes, we got caught on the break once (for Clay's sinbinning), but we got one goal from a cross from a fullback pushed up almost to the byline and multiple crosses into the back as a direct result of taking that policy in the second half, so a system that I expected to take a while to bed in has already delivered a net positive effect. Taking that more positive approach will cough up 3 or 4 goals like that a season but you just have to weigh it up and accept that as a reasonable trade-off against the multiples of that number of goals that I'm convinced it will return.

So that's a positive to take away from tonight, and we can now use the rest of this season to bed-in that system tweak and get comfortable with it prior to next season. Its turn is now.

We also had some very clearcut chances that we would've scored on another night which would've made the scoreline more respectable, though it'd be dillusional to say we deserved a result tonight.

To keep perspective though, we were again missing some players in key positions and had a couple of others at less than 100% fitness. Doesn't excuse tonight, but is perspective that shows all is not doom and gloom.

I heard the comment that Martin is referring to and it was out of line, though it was an isolated incident borne out of frustration that will be nipped in the bud. It was unacceptable but let's not lose perspective: our team has always had, and unquestionably still has, a strong team spirit with remarkably little by way of the rows and bitching that are part and parcel of many teams.

Chalk it down as a horrible experience, but I really do believe we might look back on it as a turning point if we move on to reap the rewards of a more positive setup that better plays to the strengths of our considerable attacking options.

chance next week to make up for it. apologies for missing out, i wouldnt have been any help as im in a bad way with some bug...will be back next week.

chin up lads, 2nd is still ours to lose. it willl not be 4-1 next week. our defence has been solid over the past few months after a slow start so this is the first time weve concended 4 in a long long time. these things happen.

lads, just wanted to add something. i dont know who said what to who, what the context was, so i will take the stance of a total neutral here. what happens on the pitch should stay there and thats that. things are said on the pitch in the heat of the moment, theres an excellent spirit in the team. i know we have this place to vent, but normally, we use it to talk about the game of football, rather than slagging matches. it shouldnt happen, but it does and its part and parcel of the game. we could do without bringing it up on here, as we dont need to. a simple word to anybody who does it is all it takes to ensure it wont happen again.

All I heard was the word out of one of our players mouths. I don't know what the context was but it's not the sort of thing that should be said on the pitch. Anyway, forget about it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I actually didn't see the second and third goals such was the rapid descent from 1-0 to 3-0. Was the third goal a tap in at the back post from foul throw no 57862048453?

The chance that went over the bar at 3-1 from the edge of the area was the chance to get back in it. 3-0 down before at half time for 3-3 this season, I still expected a good fightback and there was one. Just not the result this time, really. The last few games and certainly the next one is about mental character. They'll have the confidence, but determination to get even should be your main weapon.

dfx- wrote: »
    foul throw no 57862048453?

hehe, true, very very true. He does launch it like an absolute missile though, it's some weapon and would be great to have, particularly given that the refs let it go if it's even 70-30 in favour of being a foul throw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

hehe, true, very very true. He does launch it like an absolute missile though, it's some weapon and would be great to have, particularly given that the refs let it go if it's even 70-30 in favour of being a foul throw.

There were stages that he was fully on the pitch when he was throwing it, the ref just wasn't going to give it.

• Advertisement

did they score from these long throws?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

did they score from these long throws?

Yep, 3 of the 4 goals.

What the ref said about throw-ins is rubbish btw. I checked on their website and the rules clearly state:

Normal rules of Association Football apply apart from dedicated Astro Sports League rules outlined here.

And nowhere else in the rules are throw ins mentioned.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

emc2 wrote: »
    There were stages that he was fully on the pitch when he was throwing it, the ref just wasn't going to give it.

And there seemed to be a selection of things to pick from; foot on the pitch, throwing action, feet raised..some at the same time. The foot on the pitch got further and further on the pitch as time went on too with impunity..really was remarkable stuff.

emc2 wrote: »
    Yep, 3 of the 4 goals.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: thats shocking lads. condeding from throws should not happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,351 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: thats shocking lads. condeding from throws should not happen.

Tell that to all the premiership teams who concede from them against stoke.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement