Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There's hope for us all

Options
  • 05-02-2010 8:47am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Former Bicycling magazine journalist João Correia, who gave up racing at 21, dropped 60 pounds and now has a contract with the Cervelo Test Team at the age of 34:

fatso.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

el tonto wrote: »
    There's hope for us all
    You speak for yourself - Lumen and me are way over 34:)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Beasty wrote: »

Lumen's been sandbagging about so much recently that I wouldn't be surprised if he's exaggerating his age.

Positive thought: he's living the dream, yay.

Negative thought: they've only employed him because none of the other riders have the requisite skills or motivation to twatter on endlessly about the unmatched aero performance, lateral stiffness and vertical compliance of the team bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

this is remarkably like my training log :rolleyes:

fair play to him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Best of luck to him. Love to read stuff luke that. On a similar vane Lucy Kellaway who writes for the FT recently wrote an article about how a 40something year old colleague gave up life as a hack to study medicine. The wonan has now graduated as a doctor in her early 50s.
    The tenor if the article was even more interesting. On the basis that society is li ing longer we will need many careers as one career is unlikely to be fulfilling for 50years. Secondly we are ala more flexible than we think.

Great article. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

I'm still waiting for the article about the 41 year old who was given a pro contract after a year of sportives and commuter racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

+1 those days are over - but i would like to drop 60 pounds (but people would think i was ill)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Oh at 30 years of age there is still hope!!!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

+1 those days are over - but i would like to drop 60 pounds (but people would think i was ill)
    60 lbs - a piece of cake (well several actually)

Mmmm cake - it's Friday, and the Garmin is showing 13,777 calories for the week. I think I need to treat myself to a secret centre* chocolate muffin this lunchtime

the centre is vanilla

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Great interview, best of luck to the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Mmmm cake - it's Friday, and the Garmin is showing 13,777 calories for the week. I think I need to treat myself to a secret centre* chocolate muffin this lunchtime

the centre is vanilla

just stop it will you !

mmm cake the cause and solution to most of lifes problems (or is that something else)

and i have to paint tommorrow can i get out on the bike on sunday this is the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Ah Jaysus. I fell in the first paragraph "...oven-fresh baguettes dabbed in oozy Camembert..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

el tonto wrote: »
    Former Bicycling magazine journalist João Correia, who gave up racing at 21, dropped 60 pounds and now has a contract with the Cervelo Test Team at the age of 34:

fatso.jpg

From the article
    A former professional cyclist who last raced at age 21, he left the sport for a desk job and, over a decade, ballooned toward the weight of two professional cyclists.

He had lost a lot more than 60lbs between the two pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

the centre is vanilla

13,777 = about 20hours on the bike... by Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

He sure was a fatty fat fat elasticated fat pants cyclist

I remember reading a story about a Canadian guy who cycled everywhere with his dog and trailer pitching tents at the side of the road. He somehow managed to get a pro contract. whatever happened to that guy ? I'm pretty sure i read the story here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

You mean Svein Tuft (sp?). He's a pretty successful pro for Garmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

He sure was a fatty fat fat elasticated fat pants cyclist

I remember reading a story about a Canadian guy who cycled everywhere with his dog and trailer pitching tents at the side of the road. He somehow managed to get a pro contract. whatever happened to that guy ? I'm pretty sure i read the story here

Svein Tuft, rides for Garmin

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

That's Tuft alright.

mloc123 wrote: »

I assume they're Garmin calories, which are much smaller than real calories.

@Beasty: according to the stats in your training log, you're burning around 800-850 calories/hr.

• Advertisement

I did say it's what the Garmin's showing:) (it's also showing around 7,000kj, which is probably a more accurate measure). So far only just under 11.5 hours since 6am on Monday (and I am knackered). The cake was nice though:)

Lumen wrote: »
    @Beasty: according to the stats in your training log, you're burning around 800-850 calories/hr.

That's around what I get when using the Polar

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Are the 305/705 bad for calorie predictions? I use a 310xt and find it pretty good... figure is always about the same as fitday etc.. Hour on the turbo on tuesday including cruise intervals = 692cals. I am always quite sceptical tho'

Are the 305/705 bad for calorie predictions? I use a 310xt and find it pretty good... figure is always about the same as fitday etc.. Hour on the turbo on tuesday including cruise intervals = 692cals. I am always quite sceptical tho'

AFAIK the Polar and 310XT use an HR-based algorithm, whereas Edge 305 and 705 do not (they use speed, distance, weight etc).

edit: Apparently with the Edge units you can fudge it down by entering a weight around 50-60% of your actual weight.

sorry for continuing off-topic

Lumen wrote: »
    fudge
    Mmmmm fudge - you never really went off-topic then:)

Advertisement