Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Ireland recalls 3000 cars over fire fears

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Fanthomas wrote: »

Probably a secret ad campaign by Hyundai ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Honda Jazz. Feck, should let those things catch fire altogether.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Fanthomas wrote: »

Because Irish journalists tend to know nothing about cars, let alone what they usually write about.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Because Irish journalists tend to know nothing about cars, let alone what they usually write about.

Ah now...............Sur' didn't they vote the Peugeot 3008 as the Car of the Year. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Hey! maybe I could claim on this:cool: I had a honda accord go on fire at the window switches 2 years ago and write off the car;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

How can they be only copping onto this potential problem now? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Ah yes, Japanese reliablility showing how great it is again and why legions of Irish buyers buy Japanese cars on reliability grounds.

Hang on, I thought European cars were the ones that didn't work and gave trouble. Clearly the above is a misprint and really it should say that Alfa Ireland is recalling cars due to a potential fire fault. Silly me:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Ah yes, Japanese reliablility showing how great it is again and why legions of Irish buyers buy Japanese cars on reliability grounds.

Hang on, I thought European cars were the ones that didn't work and gave trouble. Clearly the above is a misprint and really it should say that Alfa Ireland is recalling cars due to a potential fire fault. Silly me:rolleyes:.

:confused:

German car dealer maybe? :P

I think most reliability statistics prove that most well known EU cars are not as reliable as our far eastern counterparts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

There is a risk of fire if someone spills a liquid into the windows switches, and they are doing a recall as a result.

Compare the Renault Clio's faulty plastic bonnet latch which resulted in hundreds of broken windscreens, Opel's GF50 idler pulley which shredded thousands of timing belts, and hundreds of failed instrument pods in Audi TTs at a grand a pop. All these made it onto BBC's Watchdog and none were recalled by the manufacturer.

It's not just about reliability, it's about handling it responsibly when something does go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭grudgebringer

Toyota also have somewhat red faces over their costly recall:

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/citroen-and-peugeot-join-toyota-recall/247207

Now including also Citroen and Peugeot

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jamiecall

Newspapers mustn't like the fact that the motor trade is picking up slightly or else its a very slow news week!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

So there's nothing in the original article or on the honda.ie website about what to do if you have a Honda Jazz that may be affected (my mum has one and the local dealer is gone). The car was bought 2nd hand and as the dealer is gone, I'm not sure who she should approach about this-any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    So there's nothing in the original article or on the honda.ie website about what to do if you have a Honda Jazz that may be affected (my mum has one and the local dealer is gone). The car was bought 2nd hand and as the dealer is gone, I'm not sure who she should approach about this-any ideas?

Phone Universal Honda with the chassis number and reg of your car and check is your mother down as the registered owner. If the dealer was a Honda dealer then he would have updated UH's database, in which case she'll get a letter asking her to bring it to any Honda dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

The world has gone mad, if your car isn't bursting into flames your throttle may be stuck wide open, still, a good excuse when you get pulled for doing an insane 31km in the city centre. BMW's get praised for their 'handling', not on the road, but handing warranty claims on lousy turbos, swirl flaps, plastic impellers, vanishing pixels, etc.

Ahh they don't make them like they used to....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I've heard Porsche are recalling all their cabriolet models as male drivers are complaining at being called gay.................:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Did anyone here with a Honda Jazz have to bring their car in cause of the recall?

I'm still waiting for call back from local honda dealer.. gave them my chassis number early last week and they said then they were still waiting for word from Honda re. what cars were affected. Maybe I should give them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

The recall hasn't started yet,so there's no Honda dealer in the whole country who could tell you if your Jazz is subject of the recall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Not gonna lie, I nearly pissed myself laughing at the fact that the article has been up nearly two weeks and they haven't changed it from a Hyundai to a Honda badge yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

JHMEG wrote: »

It's not just about reliability, it's about handling it responsibly when something does go wrong.

Thats a very good point and also exposes the fact that reliability surveys aint reliability surveys at all but more like customer knowledge surveys. Anyone here in the trade will tell you that Toyotas have given lots of trouble for years , its just that the customer doesn't hear about it. Toyota often repalce entire engines in cars that were just left in for services and the customer is never told about it. Examples: Corolla D4D's that the customer complains of being smokey at start up. Customer is told they got a new fuel filter but they really got a new engine. Same with Avensis VVTi engines earlier in the decade , same with some gearboxes ( that fall apart ) on D4D's , same with injectors giving trouble on all diesel Toyotas. Toyota quality is only a myth, Toyota customer service is second to none ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Thats a very good point and also exposes the fact that reliability surveys aint reliability surveys at all but more like customer knowledge surveys. Anyone here in the trade will tell you that Toyotas have given lots of trouble for years , its just that the customer doesn't hear about it. Toyota often repalce entire engines in cars that were just left in for services and the customer is never told about it. Examples: Corolla D4D's that the customer complains of being smokey at start up. Customer is told they got a new fuel filter but they really got a new engine. Same with Avensis VVTi engines earlier in the decade , same with some gearboxes ( that fall apart ) on D4D's , same with injectors giving trouble on all diesel Toyotas. Toyota quality is only a myth, Toyota customer service is second to none ;)
    But the fact remains that they are willing to make issues right.
    Example there was a recall on the Landcruiser 90 series for rear halfshafts seperating at the flange in some cases. I had mine and at that point it was over 10 yrs old. I got 2 letters from Toyota asking me to book an appointment to have them changed at my nearest Toyota garage.
    I had well over 200k miles on the clock at that stage but the halfshafts were duly replaced FOC.
    Excessive Oil consumption on some VVti engines was dealt with by replacing the block, how can you argue that service like that is poor?:confused:
    I would buy another Toyota tomorrow, Just not a D4D model:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

I wish VW Ireland had put some money to cover the costs I had with replacing a leaking fuel line.
    The ones recognized as a fire hazard by the NHTSA and recalled and replaced free by VW of America...

Sh1tty Irish warranty. Love the car though..
    Could have done with some Toyota love.

Honda is recalling cars in Ireland from the same year as my VW, fair play to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Excessive Oil consumption on some VVti engines was dealt with by replacing the block, how can you argue that service like that is poor?:confused:

I didnt argue their service was poor thats why I said this "Toyota quality is only a myth, Toyota customer service is second to none " in my previous post. I think what Toyota are doing is exceptional by motor industry standards and will long term benefit them greatly, I was just pointing out that their reliabilty is not always as good as it seems. Infact in some cases its down right rubbish, its just that Toyota never wash their hands of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Saab Ed wrote: »
    I didnt argue their service was poor thats why I said this "Toyota quality is only a myth, Toyota customer service is second to none " in my previous post. I think what Toyota are doing is exceptional by motor industry standards and will long term benefit them greatly, I was just pointing out that their reliabilty is not always as good as it seems. Infact in some cases its down right rubbish, its just that Toyota never wash their hands of the problem.
    Ahh I see what you are saying. I would say that I believe that they aren't as good as they were, the older generations were a much better quality car.
    The likes of the carina II and Carina E were very well built as well as the older gen corollas 93-97 or so.
    Especially compared with the standards of the day.
    The problems in the newer vehicles seem to be largely related to D4D engined vehicles, esp the injectors. All part of trying to get Euro IV I suppose.
    Working on older Toyotas I am always amazed that the bolts on older vehicles aren't seized even after 15 years+ Zinc passivated fasteners were used and still are even when manufacturers still don't use them. Little things like that help a lot.

Advertisement