Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi bike carrier

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,014 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Looks very similar in design to (though much cheaper than) the Saris Sentinal 3 Bike Rack I have, which works fine, although the metal clips are not exactly sympathetic to paintwork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I have one. worked fine on a saloon, though more than one bike and it puts a lot of pressure on bumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

They are grand; I've seen 3 or 4 different types for carrying bikes on the back. Of the two main ones this would be my least favourite. (the two being this one and the toe bar one).
    I carried decent road bikes to Mayo last year from Galway and the weight of the 3 bikes pulled my boot out of alignment. (it was a 03 Opel Astra, which I've since sold). I since sold my bike rack and bought one that fits 2 bikes onto the toe bar.

If you have a toe bar go for that rack - its far simpler to put on also.
    If you have 3 bikes to bring buy this but keep an eye on the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

My one is not Aldi but similar design.
    When I bought mine it was advertised for hatchback cars which is what I had at the time but I discovered later that it would fit cars with boot also just by changing the angle of the bars.
    I found it did what it was supposed to do even with 3 heavy hybrids on it.
    I dont think there is any problem with the bumpers as they are designed to be very robust anyway and the top straps take most of the weight.
    The metal hooks on my one have rubber insulators so that is something to check for on the Aldi one.
    The foam buffer on the top bar though has put a slight but noticable mark on the boot lid.
    Tip: Put some foam pipe insulation or similar over inside pedal, handlebars etc to preserve the paintwork and retension straps during long trips.
    Nice price there, but if I had to go again I would go for the roof rack design. I've seen them in use and they seem to be so hassle free.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 EamonnL

Im pretty sure that the photograph is not showing the correct way to mount this rack on a hatchback. The rack shouldn't be sitting on the bumper but should be installed higher up. The straps at the bottom can be fitted to the bottom of the boot lid which would allow you to open and close the boot with the rack on the car. If you install it like in the picture it is going to do some damage because there is not solid contact with the car which will cause abrasion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭keizer

Lumen wrote: »
    Looks very similar in design to (though much cheaper than) the Saris Sentinal 3 Bike Rack I have, which works fine, although the metal clips are not exactly sympathetic to paintwork.

I have one of these but have not used it in ages. I found using pipe lagging, can be bought in any DIY store will protect paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,014 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

keizer wrote: »
    I have one of these but have not used it in ages. I found using pipe lagging, can be bought in any DIY store will protect paint.

The problem is the clips that attach around the edges of the hatch. They could do with some rubber covers or something. Maybe duct tape would do it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks guys, have a saloon and the car doesnt allow a hitch to be attached.

I might go with this then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Lumen wrote: »
    The problem is the clips that attach around the edges of the hatch. They could do with some rubber covers or something. Maybe duct tape would do it.

I use baby wipes folded under each clip and paint contact point (sometimes the straps can rub)...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'm going to get this, then I'm going to get a car to fit it, thus solving the forementioned problems.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Only saw this thread now.

I have this, decent enough. Perfect for one bike, any more and they need to be wrapped with rags around the forks/stays or the bikes will tear chunks out of each other.

Personally I would prefer a rigid mount like a roof carrier, but obviously that means more.

What I can say is that it is well made, very solid and doesn't feel cheap. If you only need to carry one bike go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

I have one and it's OK.

The main problem is there's a lot of messing about when you put it on and take it off as there's more straps than at a bondage convention. The metal hooks aren't a problem as on my car they hook under the bumper onto the metal towing eye.

I found that the best thing to wrap the bikes with is a dense ethafoam type stuff that is sold as underlay for laminate floors (and yes I did buy a full 20m + roll of it when I first put my lovely new bike onto the car rack).

I've just bought a car with roof bars and am seriously considering replacing the bike rack with a roof mount one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I bought a couple of roof-mount rail-and-down-tube-clamp racks on the hols at Decathlon in France for EUR10 each. Very handy though it's easier to mount the boot rack than the roof bars and racks...

Advertisement