Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sega Megadrive 2 - 60hz & Region Switch Mod

Options
  • 27-01-2010 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

One of the guys from the Arcade & Retro (Saltour Sossiez, now Joe Musashi due to re-reg) was asking the best method to play Megadrive games @ 60hz. There was talk of buying an import Genesis with step down transformers etc which frankly bothered me :p So I offered to do the region switch mod gratis, to help out a fellow gamer :)

The mod itself is quite a simple premise. Lift two legs of the cpu off the pcb, and alternating between 5V and Ground at each leg gives either 50/60hz(Ground/5V) display output, and the other gives the region (ENG/JAP) language etc.

I chose not to lift legs off the pcb, purely because I'd rather not risk breaking them, escpecially when the unit isnt mine. I followed the relevent track off the pcb until it came to a pass through in the pcb, then isolated it, leaving a nice point to solder to instead of lifting the CPU legs. The information is already out there so I wont mention pins etc. Once done, wire the switches accordingly and choose an installation point. I chose the rear (to keep the unit looking stock) and over to the left as opposed to the right (incase the unit will ever be paired to a Mega Cd - the switches wont get in the way).

Testing the mod yields colour @ 50hz, and black & white @60hz (RF, Scart gives colour both ways). No Jap carts to test the language switch out though, but according to the multi-meter...its working :) I also removed the tabs on the cartridge slot, to allow a smooth entry for Jap carts. Now the unit is universal, for a fraction of the cost of importing one & using a step down.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Remainder of pics. Forgot to get a completed shot, maybe Joe you can take one and add it to the random photo thread, or here even.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Nice mod on a retro console, would like to see the finished shot, all back together with your little switch :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

would you be interested in doing similar to a snes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Ive done my own Snes (50/60hz & Region Switch) and its a little trickier than the Megadrive...but yep Ill do it no prob. Pm if you like

Advertisement