Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuckoos Nest -Baseless lie thread moved to thunderdome

Options
  • 23-01-2010 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭

I just wondered about this and the scrap between the Mod and the users.

Seemed to me that the thee was a personality clash between the Mod and the users and a difference of opinion about what defines humour.

The SOH in the thread was very much Derek and Clive ( Dudley Moore/Peter Cook 60s style as in "you smell of wee/ your mother smells of wee/you're gay). Very non PC too.

Also -the age group is much wider and probably in some cases lots older than the average is on boards.

IMHO - it was badly handled and caused unhappiness in our happy band of non pc anarchists.

People made friends within the group of posters , which is the aim of boards, but across a far wider age and social demographic than normal. People posting from Saudi and USA.

A fun thread was started to clear the air a bit as a spoof election too. Opportunity missed.

My 10 cents is that there was a huge age difference between the mod and the users. Thats not being unkind but son or grandson range.So treating people like they are in school wont go down well.

So there. I dont know if this will make a difference but i hope so.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Hi there,

Have you talked to the Mod in question by PM yet? Sometimes a direct discussion is the best option :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Hi there,

Have you talked to the Mod in question by PM yet? Sometimes a direct discussion is the best option :)

That was tried and also Colrow started a spoof election thread in TCN so we could all be friends -it didnt work.

The other issue is that thunderdome can get a bit abusive and thats fine for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I got one PM from CDfm relating to this, I'm happy for that and my reply to go up here if CDfm is.

The PM came not long after the last of three on-thread warnings, two of which were about the thread turning into the insult-trading more suited to the Thunderdome, and one about abuse of thread tags. The thread was moved as a result of someone completely ignoring my warnings. No, it wasn't you or Colrow. Yes, it sucks for those of you that were paying attention, and I had nothing against the thread while everyone was being creative and fun about it, but I'm not going to hand out warnings ad infinitum and never do anything about them. The PM contained no concerns about my decisions or warnings, it read more like "ok, sorry about that." If you want the thread moved back, ask the moderators of The Thunderdome. I have no problem with it coming back, as long as my warnings aren't ignored next time. If you'll notice there's already another baseless lie thread in TCN to replace it. I edited that once, to change the title, as I thought it could potentially offend one of the users. And I even asked the thread starter about it beforehand to make sure I wasn't stepping on toes. Where exactly is the problem?

If Colrow has a problem, he can contact me using the proper channels. So far he's started little fight-the-power threads that put across the message, whether intentional or not, that he's unhappy but has no real feedback, and they've been let go on their merry way. I've never been the first poster to drag those off-topic, incidentally. Hell, I sticky most of those for a few days when they happen. I've had chats with some TCN users who freaking love those threads.

I have had PMs from several TCN regulars who want to post here.

Its the Cuckoos Nest and not Sarkys nest . Its a Forum and people develop friendships and are aware of others sensitivities. Colrows version of events concerned a post which had a misogynistic pic attached. People post "yore Ma" style humour but that kind of thing is off. Girls post and wont post in Thunderdome so you have broken up our group.

When Colrow started the "Election thread" he was doing it in TCN fashion -quirky and fun and it related to bans being handed out I believe. It looked like you got your buddies in their posting and then when the thread didnt go your way locked it.

It was suggested that you didnt know the posters. In other forums with a more "adult" subject matter Mods post and engage.

You also locked the "in your pants thread" which some posters like too.

Quote the charter if you like. I dont know how the enimity started between you and the regular posters but it did.

There is a hugely diverse group in there - you even have grandparents posting, single parents and the odd GP as well as students as students etc. So what people were saying is they dont want a hall monitor or Principal Skinner.

CDfm wrote: »
    I have had PMs from several TCN regulars who want to post here.

Its the Cuckoos Nest and not Sarkys nest . Its a Forum and people develop friendships and are aware of others sensitivities. Colrows version of events concerned a post which had a misogynistic pic attached. People post "yore Ma" style humour but that kind of thing is off. Girls post and wont post in Thunderdome so you have broken up our group.
    A regular ignoring my warnings broke up the group. Not me. Like I said before I don't issue warnings I don't intend to follow through on. I made three of them. Surely three warnings are enough?

I am quite aware that it is not my personal playground. If I thought for a moment that it was I'd be out on my ear, stripped of moderator status and left to fend for myself in After Hours. You seem to think I'm ruling you all with an iron fist, when I put my mod hat on in there very rarely indeed. If Colrow had a problem with a "misogynistic pic", why did he not report it, or PM SMAK, Tar or myself about it? If it was posted after the move to Thunderdome, why didn't he contact the Thunderdome mods about it?
    When Colrow started the "Election thread" he was doing it in TCN fashion -quirky and fun and it related to bans being handed out I believe. It looked like you got your buddies in their posting and then when the thread didnt go your way locked it.
    That thread first came to my attention through being reported, so it looked like a dig from the perspective of rather more posters than myself. Even if it was meant otherwise, I most certainly did not get "buddies" to post in there. Believe it or not, all those posters who showed up did so of their own free will, and I'd never met them before. Ok, I know fozzle in real life. That's about it, and I definitely didn't ask her to come along and post in order to "get" you. Personally, I thought those threads ended up VERY Cuckoo's Nest.

And again, if what happened it upset you or Colrow, why didn't you PM one of the mods about it to explain how the thread was really meant instead of posting something that made it look even more like a typical fight-the-power thread?
    It was suggested that you didnt know the posters. In other forums with a more "adult" subject matter Mods post and engage.

I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. Are you suggesting that some of the posters were "buddies" because they are also moderators? If that's what you're suggesting then sorry, but there are around 500 of those around here, out of that I know less than half a dozen in any meaningful way, and almost none of them ever post in TCN.
    You also locked the "in your pants thread" which some posters like too.
    And joes girls found another one that hadn't been used in ages. Problem solved. Even if there wasn't a spare hanging around, I'd hardly have stopped her starting another.
    Quote the charter if you like. I dont know how the enimity started between you and the regular posters but it did.
    I suspect it's a result of me trying to shake the cobwebs out. The whole forum stagnated, became a very static thing with a handful of huge threads that weren't particularly silly. Everything I've done was in the interests of jazzing the place up a bit. Look at all the crazy stuff recently posted there by fozzle, or M&S*, or Lord Butterslip, or anyone else who's come along recently. That's TCN. I don't know if you noticed but over the last 2-4 weeks the activity of the place shot up. Most of them didn't bother counting to a million or associating words, they went and made daft new threads. That's TCN.
    There is a hugely diverse group in there - you even have grandparents posting, single parents and the odd GP as well as students as students etc. So what people were saying is they dont want a hall monitor or Principal Skinner.

They don't have one. Again, you seem to think I'm being terribly harsh and draconian. What exactly are you comparing me to? Any of the posters I've been talking to tells me the place is a lot more dynamic and fun nowadays. They're probably not part of your group, but I don't think that should mean their opinions don't count, do you? There is, after all, a hugely diverse group in there.

So far, I've been getting much more praise than criticism.

• Advertisement

Sarky, I didnt want to get into this at all but these people are my friends and thats what boards is about. They are a nice bunch of people.

What people want is a fair shake in their forum. They want baseless lie back where it was and the bans or whatever happened removed.They want to talk to you.

Dr Bollocko doesnt mind the thread being moved back as he agrees that the mix isnt right for Thunderdome.

I haven't banned anyone who wasn't either an outright troll/spammer or posted in the "post here to get banned" thread. None of the former will be coming back, and the latter will be back when their time is up. Do you think that's unreasonable?

They HAVE a fair shake in the forum. They CAN talk to me, that's been the case since I came along.

If Dr. Bollocko will move it back, then move it back. I've told you all I didn't mind if that happened soon after it was first moved, as long as my warnings aren't ignored again. Where in any of this have I been a heartless ogre?

OK - well that seems like a good compromise. The threads gets moved back, but there won't be any more leeway in terms of the warnings being ignored?

If both parties agree - it's easily done :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Just let me know.

Yikes -who elected me.

What I think is its best to move the baseless lie thread back and reopen the "in your pants" for business. This is easily done and you dont need anyones agreement to do that. It could just be done.

I dont know the ins and outs of what exactly happened or and over analysing wont help. So here goes.

The bans or infractions relating to this very" unfortunate incident" should be dropped.If other posters id stuff like post inappropriate pics well deal with them cos our group finds that offensive.

A know your mod/posters/ off topic thread should be started as a sticky. Stuff like revising the charter etc was suggested. May mot be such a bad idea.Other forums have them so why not ?

So lets see if people are happy.

• Advertisement

The bans or infractions relating to this very" unfortunate incident" should be dropped.If other posters id stuff like post inappropriate pics well deal with them cos our group finds that offensive.

From what I gather there aren't any bans: unless I'm misunderstanding here, there may just be a miscommunication.

With regard to the second part: report the posts. That doesn't oblige the moderator to remove them just because one group finds something offensive. Every post has to be taken in context.

It does require some agreement: some people were going a little bit beyond, and didn't heed warnings. That will lead to infractions and bans, so before anything is moved I think people do have to realise there are conditions attached to posting in any forum, and paying heed to Mod requests is one of those.

Right, if Dr. Bollocko could see his way to moving that thread back, that'd be great. I'll unlock it once I've given it a look over and made one, final warning.

A couple of things need to be addressed one more time here:
    What I think is its best to move the baseless lie thread back and reopen the "in your pants" for business.

I said from the moment I first moved that thread (and several times since, for those paying attention) that I had no problem with it coming back if people paid attention to warnings from then on. Why are you (and your group) ignoring that?

There's another "in my pants" thread that people found from a long time back that seems to be quite happily ticking along. It's no different to the one that was locked. I see no reason to unlock the other one. That would mean there were two of them.
    I dont know the ins and outs of what exactly happened or and over analysing wont help. So here goes.

I've already said there were never any bans or infractions from this. I really don't know where you're getting that from, but whoever's telling you is either severely misinformed or just lying out of spite, perish the thought.

Nothing particularly inappropriate has been posted in TCN that hasn't also been dealt with by one of the moderators. If you think something is inappropriate, you report it. That's been the case across the site since the report feature was implemented.

Also, and this is probably the most important point- The moderators are not just there to listen to your group. More people than that use TCN. Lots more. Just because they don't bother with your group's favourite threads doesn't make their opinions any less deserving. It makes you look like a clique.
    Stuff like revising the charter etc was suggested. May mot be such a bad idea.Other forums have them so why not ?
    None of this was suggested to the moderators, what good is that to anyone? Without including the people who can DO something about it, it's just whining for the sake of whining, and accomplishes nothing.

Sarky wrote: »
    None of this was suggested to the moderators, what good is that to anyone? Without including the people who can DO something about it, it's just whining for the sake of whining, and accomplishes nothing.

Lots of forums have off topic chat threads and in TGC there is brandy and cigars where people just chat TCN should have one too.

Um, that's what "Straitjacket Lounge- all your non-silly goes here" is for? Remember it used to be called the chat thread, and then I changed it when a bunch of users asked me to?

Advertisement