Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI Media Player 69.99 Sunday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

madmoe; I have a NAS device connected to my PS3 - works a treat. (specifically its the synology 210j)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

And are u accessing it via the XMB? How is playback of HD content?

I think XMB is the PS3 platform. Either way I just go to video and then my synology appears.

The synology is the single greatest purchase I've made (aside for a diamond ring :) ) Its playback is perfect because I've both the PS3 and the Synology on my DLink 655 -wired (a gigbit router). Perhaps this might not suit some people as its wired 3 ways (to ps3, synology and the internet)

With it I don't watch TV anymore - I just download the show I want (thru the synology's web interface an by the time I'm back from work I've got everything)

Great setup mate! I would need to invest in a new Gigabit router as the ****ty one NTL gave me is no way that good. Then I would have to have them all wired and close to each other. That would be fine for the PS3 and router but not the laptop :-(

Ah well, if Geohot keeps going the way he is going (http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/) the PS3 will be wide open soon enough and with a bit of luck the full power of it will be unleashed!

Cheers,
    M

No problem.

I saw that about GeoHot, fair play to the kid.

TBH, I had a belkin 100mb router in the DLink's place and the streaming was perfect (wired) and tbh, I was streaming off the laptop on 'G' from a bedroom upstairs.

• Advertisement

Good stuff! I'll see how the Medion goes, will keep an eye on GeHot's progress and take it from there ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭el diablo

anyone know if these are still available anywhere in Dublin?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

madmoe wrote: »
    Ah well, if Geohot keeps going the way he is going (http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/) the PS3 will be wide open soon enough and with a bit of luck the full power of it will be unleashed!

Cheers,
    M

aaaaand 3 hours after your post, he does it: http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/2010/01/heres-your-silver-platter.html

Oh HAPPY DAYS :-)

Hi lads,
    Just got my ALDI Media Player and am wondering how best to connect it to my Sony Amplifier (DAV-DZ260) which has one optical in on it. I have a PS3 also which is currently connected to the amp via the optical in.

I want to be able to play back HD movies with the best sound possible so should I plug the optical out of the PS3 and use this for the media player? The PS3 is already connected over HDMI to my Sony TV but what about the surround sound for the games once I plug the optical out of the PS3 and plus it into the media player??

Cheers,
    M

Edit: Have it up an running and it plays everthing so far I have thrown at it. Well impressed!! For anyone that has it is there a way to see it from your laptop\desktop say when it is connected over the network? I can see shared drives on my laptop from it but not the other way around :-(

• Advertisement

Hey guys,
    I want to turn this gadget into a NAS like some others seem to have done. How does one do this?

I can telnet to it and with username "root" I can get in. I have found a script here (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=64544) that automates the installation of A-Optis on the ASUS O!Play. I think the O!Play and the Medion use the same chip with the Medion having a smaller internal memory.

I am a Linux noob and all I really want to be able to do is transfer and manage files on the HDD connected to the Medion player from my laptop. I would prefer not to have to plug it in and out everytime.

Can you help?

Cheers,
    Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭craze7

Also does anyone know if it's possible to change the gui on this as its horrible looking!!!

Yeah. That would be cool! Someone has mentioned flashing XBMC to it!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Lads, there is a firmware update for the Medion: http://www.medion.com/de/?service/treiber_~u~_updates.html

Adds wireless USB device, it's German but i assume it'll work for the UK/IRL market also?....you might have to change language etc.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=de&tl=en&u=http://www.medion-portal.de/&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhjFW1NawINgdqh9Wl_aph8JoeC_Yw

craze7 wrote: »
    Also does anyone know if it's possible to change the gui on this as its horrible looking!!!

I'm trying to Google info to see if it can be cross flashed to another devices firmware.

Hmmm....reading that forum, seems an AC Ryan firmware can be used, as early PlayON HD were the non DTS models, as such the firmware should work.

I flashed to the latest firmware, it went fine. I can't see any new menu options other than the new "wireless setup" options under Network. GUI/visually idenctical....i suspect the reason wireless was added is Medion will bring out their own wireless USB dongle fo the Medion.

Which is a good thing, as it'll be priced very well and use a Realtek chipset.

Edit - under system ugrade, a previous software package update option - removed.
    it now just has one option.

Thanks for the heads up man, i was just reading that forum there, some people say they have gotten youtube and torrents working on the box with the ac ryan firmware which is sweet.

I don't know much about these things but do you need linux to update these as i seen a few posts in the forum referring to that!

^ reading the forum some say the PlayON HD firmware flashes ok but you lose some functionality, like the card reader, the Medion remote on longer works. Thats not a big issue if you have a Logitech Harmony as you can just input the PlayON HD remote into your database.

Confirmed wireless USB dongle coming: Medion MD 86362

• Advertisement

Cheers Richard_Dower :-)

Hi all,
    I successfully updated to the latest firmware on the Medion as well. Would really like to get Optware installed on this to use it as a NAS.

Cheers,
    M

The acryan playon firmware works too, i tried it but i couldn't use it cause i don't have a harmony remote!!!

Did u flash it with the AC Ryan firmware without any probs and then put the medion firmware back on it?

madmoe wrote: »
    Did u flash it with the AC Ryan firmware without any probs and then put the medion firmware back on it?

I sure did, i don't think you can brick these tbh!!!

Holding down the power button and plugging it into the mains will allow you to reflash it anytime!

Great. Ans with the AC Ryan firmware on it does it automatically have NAS functionality or do you then need to install Optware on it??

I never got to try it but i'm pretty sure it does and if not there is some great tutorial on the ac ryan forum on how to install packages for such things!

Great mate, cheer! I guess the only downside to putting the AC Ryan firmware on it then is that you no longer have a remote?

craze7 wrote: »
    The acryan playon firmware works too, i tried it but i couldn't use it cause i don't have a harmony remote!!!

What firmware did you use?

• Advertisement

Hi guys, for anyone that has the Medion and wanting to get say Optware installed on it the guys over here (http://minimodding.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?forumId=31&comments_parentId=1364#threadId1392) seem to know a good bit about these things. I am hoping that someone there can figure out how to free space on the internal memory so I can install Optware.

They have spoken about changing the partition size for the user partition as there is a lot of free space on this and allocating\moving some of that free space to create space on the root partition. I'm not a Linux head so its all new and highly confusing too me :-(

Cheers,
    M

Advertisement