Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Thread

Options
  • 18-01-2010 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭

Well, I could start a thread in the GAA section, but I'm pretty sure it would die a death among all the threads about the Dubs and Team of the Decade etc.

So, was anyone in Cavan on Saturday night? I probably would have gone up myself (I know :rolleyes:) only I was in London to watch a foreign sport.

I had a look at the McKenna Cup panel there, and not too many faces I had seen before. Anyone have any info/views on these guys:

- Edward Kelly (Urris)
    - Colm McCarron (Dungloe)
    - James Keeney (Bundoran)
    - Lee McFadden (Cloghaneely)
    - Shane Boyle (Killybegs) (he might have been around last year)

Would appreciate if anyone who attends the McKenna Cup games posts here, I won't make any of them, but am hoping to attend most of the National League Games

Tír Chonaill Abú!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,822 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Good idea for updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Well, I could start a thread in the GAA section, but I'm pretty sure it would die a death among all the threads about the Dubs and Team of the Decade etc.
    Not while I'm a mod there it won't. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

From Hogan Stand

At Kingspan Breffni Park, Donegal recovered from a 0-3 to 0-4 interval deficit to beat Cavan by 0-11 to 0-9. Newcomer Gareth Concarr accounted for all of the visitors' first half points, while Young Player of the Year Michael Murphy added further punch to their attack following his introduction in the second half.

Dubliner Gareth 'Nesty' Smith made an impressive debut for Tommy Carr's side by hitting 0-7, but it wasn't enough to deny the holders.

Donegal - L McFadden; J Keeney, N McGee, P McDaid; F McGlynn, B Monaghan, K Cassidy (0-1); N Gallagher, E Kelly; O Doherty, C McFadden (0-2), R Wherity (0-1); G Concarr (0-3, 2f), A Hanlon (0-1), D Walsh. Subs: M Murphy (0-2) for O Doherty, D Gallagher (0-1) for R Wherity.

Anyone know where Micheal Boyle is-playing Sigerson maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

is that colm mcfadden at centre forward?

EAFC_rdfl wrote: »
    is that colm mcfadden at centre forward?
    Yeah, something John Joe is trying out for a while. It makes sense to expereiment in the McKenna cup.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure Colm McFadden has been played at centre forward before. Not sure if it's a good idea-he sure ain't mobile enough for centre forward at inter-county level. With his build, he should be an asset around the middle of the park, but I think he belongs at corner forward for Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭docmartin

i'd assume michael boyle is playing o byrne cup with DIT, he did last year and i think he's still a student there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

smashey wrote: »
    It makes sense to expereiment in the McKenna cup.

Just hope this years experiments have longer lasting results than last year:(

Will head to the game on Wed night and see what we have, Tyrone are looking good, 26 points last Sunday and I think 13 different scorers.

- Edward Kelly (Urris)
    - Colm McCarron (Dungloe)
    - James Keeney (Bundoran)
    - Lee McFadden (Cloghaneely)
    - Shane Boyle (Killybegs) (he might have been around last year)
    Lee mc fadden has been in goals for the county underage teams since under 16's and was part of the ulster championship winnig minor team a few years back, shane boyle is also a very strong club player, saw him in action for killybegs a few times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 UpDonegal

Tonight will see the clash of Dún na nGall V Tír Eoghain in Mac Cumhaill Pk @ 7.30pm.
    Doherty and his Tír Chonaill troops will be hoping to make it 2 wins out of 2, after a hearty win V Cavan in Breffini, last Saturday(0-11 to 0-09).

Hope all the Donegal faithful supporters will come out and cheer on the side :D

Good luck lads...Tír Chonaill Abú!! :):D:)

• Advertisement

Don't suppose any dates have been set for the Ulster Championship yet?

Don't suppose any dates have been set for the Ulster Championship yet?
    http://www.gaa.ie/page/ulster_gaa_football_senior_championship1.html
    this should help bit messy but it's all there

Cheers-I had gone looking before but couldn't find it.

Why do we always seem to play on the bank holiday weekend?

docmartin wrote: »
    i'd assume michael boyle is playing o byrne cup with DIT, he did last year and i think he's still a student there

More like DCU maybe? I see an M Boyle in goals for them last weekend.

(I'm not there)

Tyrone 3-8 (Penrose with 3 goals); Donegal 1-7 (M Murphy 1-6)

Donegal: P Durcan; J Keaney, N McGee, C McCarron; E Waide, K Lacey, M McGuire; N Gallagher, K Cassidy; E Kelly, C McFadden, D Gallagher; A Hanlon, M Murphy, G Concarr. Subs:
    Tyrone: M O’Neill; M Swift, Justin McMahon, Joe McMahon; G Teague, C Gormley, Sean O’Neill; A Cassidy, K Hughes; E McGinley, B McGuigan, T McGuigan; N Gormley, M Penrose, G Devlin. Subs: M Donnelly for Devlin (27). Subs:
    Referee: JJ McCleary (Derry).

Wow-sounded like an entertaining game 2-17 to 4-11 is some scoring.

Was a very entertaining game alright for a mid january night. Great fetch by Murphy with the 1 arm in 2nd half and then rattling the onion bag.

Nearly needed a caculator in 2nd half to keep up with the scoring:D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

They came back a few times, good to see. What would we do without Murphy?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/thriller-ends-in-stalemate-442759.html

Thriller ends in stalemate

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 09:26 PM

Donegal 2-17 Tyrone 4-11

Young Footballer of the Year Michael Murphy laid on a scoring exhibition at Ballybofey.

But his magical 2-9 tally was not enough to win a thrilling Dr McKenna Cup tie for Donegal.

A first half hat-trick from Tyrone’s Martin Penrose in the end proved crucial for Tyrone, who held on to salvage a draw.

Penrose drilled home the first of his two first half goals in the fourth minute, latching on to an Aidan Cassidy pass before darting past two defenders and gave Paul Durcan no chance with a clinical finish.

The home side responded with a Michael Murphy goal, the young tyro deftly punching the ball beyond the reach of advancing goalkeeper Mickey O’Neill from Darragh Gallagher’s long delivery.

Tommy McGuigan’s second converted free and points from Niall Gormley and Penrose made it 1-5 to 1-1 to the Red Hands on 14 minutes, but a couple of Colm McFadden scores kept John Joe Doherty’s men very much in the hunt.

The deadly Penrose struck again, however, on 20 minutes with another screamer. Donegal responded immediately, shooting five points in a row, four of them from Murphy, to narrow the gap to a point.

Penrose, who lives just a stone’s throw from the Donegal border, had more punishment in store for his neighbours with a third strike in the sixth minute of stoppage time to send Tyrone in with a 3-8 to 1-9 interval lead.

A four point salvo in the opening five minutes of the second half, from McFadden, Murphy, Darragh Gallagher and sub David Walsh made it a one score game once again, and Tyrone’s bid to trump their opponents with another goal was foiled by Durcan’s superb save from Niall Gormley.

Murphy brought the sides level, but as the game entered its final quarter, Mickey Harte’s men were clinging onto a slender one point lead.

Former Aussie Rules rookie Kyle Coney came off the bench to net a fourth goal with his first touch and get his side back on course.

There were yet more twists in this remarkable game, and Murphy stamped his class on the contest yet again when he rose high to fetch, turn and shoot low to the net.

Donegal: P Durcan, J Keeney, N McGee, C McCarron, E Wade, K Lacey, M McGuire, K Cassidy, N Gallagher, E Kelly (0-1), C McFadden (0-5, 2f) D Gallagher (0-1), A Hanlon, M Murphy (2-9, 6f, 2 ’45), G Concarr.

Subs: D Walsh (0-1) for McCarron, F McNulty for D Gallagher, C Gallagher for hanlon

Tyrone: M O’Neill, M Swift, Justin McMahon, Joe McMahon, G Teague (0-1), C Gormley, S O’Neill, A Cassidy, K Hughes, E McGinley, B McGuigan, T McGuigan (0-4, 4f), N Gormley (0-2), M Penrose (3-3, 0-1f), G Devlin (0-1).

Subs: M Donnelly for Devlin, K Coney (1-0) for T McGuigan, E McCusker for N Gormley, R McNabb for C Gormley, P Harte for B McGuigan

Referee: JJ Cleary (Derry).

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

shiibata wrote: »
    Was a very entertaining game alright for a mid january night. Great fetch by Murphy with the 1 arm in 2nd half and then rattling the onion bag.

Nearly needed a caculator in 2nd half to keep up with the scoring:D

Apart from Murphy, anyone else play well?

Wow, that's quick work by the Examiner!

• Advertisement

Apart from Murphy, anyone else play well?

Hmmm, unfortunately not too many, mcFadden had a better 2nd half when put up along with murphy. Big Neil had some good moments in 2nd half, good catches earning "a mark". That Dara Gallagher is a strong lad, done some good things(very good point).

We were behind the town goals but that save(river end goals) the examiner mentions by Durcan, it looked a fantastic save from him, one handed save low to his left.

Ref must have given about 20 frees for lifting ball off the ground, sure was fussy on that.

Not a good sign when neither of the new corner forwards can score in such a high scoring game!

One of my mates was at the game and said that Durcan made an amazing save alright. I still don't think he should be on the team.

I wonder did Lacey really play centre back?

I wonder did Lacey really play centre back?

Ye, he did but was evevtually put back to mark Penrose. I would hope the management would be a tad quicker making these changes though, rather late to change after he had scored 2-2. McGee was miles off him.

Some news from Hogan Stand:

(Barry) Monaghan dubious over fist pass

He says "....I also feel it will slow up the game and overall that is not good."

Barry's possibly our slowest player! While he was probably our best player in a few games last year, I would like to see him replaced in the starting 15.

Sweeney bows out

'Only' 32-tis a young man's game these days.

Take a bow Adie. I'll never forget that point into the Hill.

Sweeney bows out

'Only' 32-tis a young man's game these days.

Take a bow Adie. I'll never forget that point into the Hill.
    Eh... Redsoxfan...

that link is about Raymond Sweeney. :D

smashey wrote: »
    Eh... Redsoxfan...

that link is about Raymond Sweeney. :D

Damnit-that story was about Adrian when I read it yesterday! No fooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

Just wondering if anyone know for sure what time is the game on tonight against St Marys. I have seen 7pm mentioned and 7:30pm

Just wondering if anyone know for sure what time is the game on tonight against St Marys. I have seen 7pm mentioned and 7:30pm

Gas isn't it? County Board website hasn't been updated since last year's McKenna Cup :rolleyes:.

The Ulster Council say 7.00.

Anyone at the game last night? I heard it was poor stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Anyone at the game last night? I heard it was poor stuff.

Seemed like Donegal only played in fits and starts - at least that's what I gathered from the couple of updates on Highland.

Down on Wed now. No harm to be having these games anyway - better than training.

Advertisement