Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Match Thread** Mon Jan 18th @ 19:30 in 3RRB- Gary Breen Exp V Boardeaux

Options
  • 17-01-2010 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Keeper -

Clayton - In

Defenders -

Cathal -
    Dan - In
    Ed - Out
    Geoff - In
    Graham - In
    Mick - In
    Michael - In
    Keith - In
    Andy - Work

Midfielders -

Alan - In
    Collie - In
    Conor - In
    Dave - In
    Gav - Injured
    Martin - In
    Kenny - In

Strikers -

Art - In
    Gary - Work
    Jules - In
    Ciaran - In

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Really really need a win here boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

im out for this one. have something on at 7.30 that i cannot get out of...if this game was later, id be ok, but timing is against me...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Dearg81

I'm out of this one too, have to work late. Good luck lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Mall10357

I am In For This One Looking Forward to a game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Thanks Clay

• Advertisement

good luck lads, tough game, these lads gave us a tough tough one the last time but we pulled through.

we cant afford to drop a single point between here and seasons end.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

3-1 win, great header by art, they equalised, a few dodgy spells but a good goal by Jules to put us 2-1 up and then some really top drawer play between Jules and Conor and a sweet finish by Conor. A good win.

well done lads...great stuff, good win.had a very strong team out, so i knew ye would win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Wasn't a foregone conclusion with ten minutes to go. We were awful in patches but we won and hope is there still!

If only we could cut out the fannying and faffing about in out own half I'd be very happy.

Fair play to the midfielders for taking the half time talk on board, that helped us I thought.

We have to trust our defenders more, let them take on an extra man. After we scored the first goal we seemed to start dropping off a LOT. What that meant was that with the CMs right back with the CHs, if we won balls, they were landing back with their CHs on halfway, and there was no way for our forwards to compete with four defenders, so the ball came in a second wave on the ground, which is much harder to defend against. If even one of the midfielders stayed up the pitch, we'd be much more competitive on the second ball.

What I'd like to see in future is the full backs tucking in more to help the CHs from kick outs, and free up our midfielders to operate in midfield, get on the second balls and allow us to attack, instead of being in constant "defend" mode.

We have an excellent attacking unit, as shown by our two goals in the second half, but we shoot ourselves in the foot too many times by trying to nullify a threat that doesn't exist, or actually playing in a way that allows a threat to be created.

The initial kick out can be dealt with by our defenders. Mick, Dan, Ed, Martin are all excellent headers of the ball, and win a fair percentage of balls in the air. What happens next is our problem. When our CMs are competing for that same ball, there is literally nobody in the midfield to get on that ball which the defenders have won, so it goes straight back to the opposition midfield, and they start their attacks, and the game is played in our half.

As we show time and time again, we one of, if not THE, best attacking sides in any league we play in. We know our defenders are good, the best in fact, so let them defend, and let the midfield complement our attack.

• Advertisement

great header by art.

:eek::eek::eek: another one?? ive known art for 10 years and ive hadly seen him head the ball, let alone score headers until this year:P

taking in the other team we have on thursday nites, thats about 5 headers he has for the season and its 13 goals in total. indeed, he has never scored more than once per game so thats scoring in 13 different games (i may be wrong here now, i think he got 2 for boards in one game thinking bout it now) and though not totally accurate, i would think hes scored in his last 6 games in a row (he plays cm and didnt score for first 6 or 7 games) for our other team and bout 7 in the last 8/9 games for boards. he is on some goalscoring form this season.

Yeh, we get it Ed, he's a good goalscorer :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Nice to get 3 points in the first game after such a long break - we had plenty of rust to work off. Yes we totally switched off in the period before their equaliser, but you've gotta like the way we responded from there on.

Des wrote: »
    If only we could cut out the fannying and faffing about in out own half I'd be very happy.

Fair play to the midfielders for taking the half time talk on board, that helped us I thought.

We have to trust our defenders more, let them take on an extra man. After we scored the first goal we seemed to start dropping off a LOT. What that meant was that with the CMs right back with the CHs, if we won balls, they were landing back with their CHs on halfway, and there was no way for our forwards to compete with four defenders, so the ball came in a second wave on the ground, which is much harder to defend against. If even one of the midfielders stayed up the pitch, we'd be much more competitive on the second ball.

What I'd like to see in future is the full backs tucking in more to help the CHs from kick outs, and free up our midfielders to operate in midfield, get on the second balls and allow us to attack, instead of being in constant "defend" mode.

We have an excellent attacking unit, as shown by our two goals in the second half, but we shoot ourselves in the foot too many times by trying to nullify a threat that doesn't exist, or actually playing in a way that allows a threat to be created.

The initial kick out can be dealt with by our defenders. Mick, Dan, Ed, Martin are all excellent headers of the ball, and win a fair percentage of balls in the air. What happens next is our problem. When our CMs are competing for that same ball, there is literally nobody in the midfield to get on that ball which the defenders have won, so it goes straight back to the opposition midfield, and they start their attacks, and the game is played in our half.

As we show time and time again, we one of, if not THE, best attacking sides in any league we play in. We know our defenders are good, the best in fact, so let them defend, and let the midfield complement our attack.

+as many as you'll give me :D

:eek::eek::eek: another one?? ive known art for 10 years and ive hadly seen him head the ball, let alone score headers until this year:P

taking in the other team we have on thursday nites, thats about 5 headers he has for the season and its 13 goals in total. indeed, he has never scored more than once per game so thats scoring in 13 different games (i may be wrong here now, i think he got 2 for boards in one game thinking bout it now) and though not totally accurate, i would think hes scored in his last 6 games in a row (he plays cm and didnt score for first 6 or 7 games) for our other team and bout 7 in the last 8/9 games for boards. he is on some goalscoring form this season.

Yeh, fair play to Art, he took that header well and has seems to have taken on the 'right place at the right time' knack from Dave this season, which again shows the strength of our squad.

That said, it was a header from 2 yards thanks to yet another truly delightful corner from that spiffingly handsome Number 10 of ours :cool:. As I watched it go in I thought 2 things to myself: 1. 'That's 6 corners we've scored from my side this season, to max 1 from the other....when am I gonna get the same level of service? :)).....2. 'How does Stephen Hunt get paid to play football?'.

2. 'How does Stephen Hunt get paid to play football?'.

Are you criticising Hunt's delivery of corners? There's others too, McGeady, Gerrard off the top of my head, never beat the first man from a corner.

Also, I take any criticism of Hunt kinda personally, seeing as he's a drinking buddy of mine and all :D:p

03122007071.jpg

Des wrote: »
    Are you criticising Hunt's delivery of corners? There's others too, McGeady, Gerrard off the top of my head, never beat the first man from a corner.

Also, I take any criticism of Hunt kinda personally, seeing as he's a drinking buddy of mine and all :D:p

Hehe, he sure is one helluva Hobbity looking fella...

Yeh, he hits the odd decent outswinging free kick, but his inswinging corners are truly woeful. But I agree, that is a puzzlingly widespread problem in the premiership.

He looks scared of you Des. Truly scared. And that's strange considering he's an absolute nutter.

Whats for worrying is he's got lipstick on!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I didn't see any threat being created in the first half and you looked pretty comfortable, but in the second half up until their equaliser it was a completely different game.

Given the stonewall penalty claim (:pac:) and the clearance off the post as they got through, it was an impressive recovery. In the past, that could've easily finished 1-2...which would've been criminal given the relative ease of the first half.

O' Dwyerski scored 8 against Coffin Dodgers, Pat FC won and Ravenhill drew. O' Dwyerski are going to have to throw it away if we're to win it. We need to win every game and for them to lose 1 and draw 1 at least.

• Advertisement
Advertisement