Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Info on DKW-assemblying in Ballincollig, Cork

• 14-01-2010 11:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

I recieved below mail and photographs with a request for more info about the DKW assemblying in Cork, so I felt this would be a good place to start. Can any of you guys help him out here?
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Dear sir!

Is there any chance that someone in your assosiation could supply me with more material about the Irish DKW-assemblying in Ballincollig in Cork, Ireland? All I have gathered so far, is the newspaper-articles in this mail to you. I´m searching for pictures of the old factory in East gate in Ballincollig, the sales facilities in Beasley Street, Cork and also pictures of the Hennessy-brothers who ran the Company. As it said in the article, the production of DKW-cars took place between 1954 and 1964, but DKW-cars, and later Audi were sold in the old facilities in Beasley Street, Cork, until the late 60´s.

I´m writing an article about this, for many, totally unknown chapter of DKW-history in Europe. First I must say, that I´ve tried to contact The Irish DKW-Club, but their Web-site is down, and their mail-adresse is not working.

If you can´t help, could you please send this mail to some who might have any material?

Greetings from
    Jul-Sverre Haugerud, editor of "DKW-nytt", the journal of The Norwegian DKW-Union
    jul-sv@online.no

++++++++++
    Here are two pages of an interesting article about the DKW plant:
    DKW1.jpg
    DKW2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Fantasic stuff there.Im sure the club would be interested in this.They are quite active ,they had a stand at this years Classic Car Show in the NEC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭philgunn

I met a Chap about a year ago involved in the DKW Club in Carrigaline , and his Claim to fame was to have a DKW Car and a DKW Bike that were assembled in Ballincollig , his name is i think is Tom Ryan , Also a article in Vintage Scene will have a look and come back
    pg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

The old DKW factory was on the site where the Aldi store is now... I saw a bunch of DKWs at the Ballincollig Vintage Club's meet last year...

I work in Ballincollig so i'm sure i could get more info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭philgunn

That chaps name is Billy Ryan

also have a look here

http://irishvintagescene.forumcircle.com/viewtopic.php?t=326&highlight=dkw

pg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

yes i know him too...has a huge collection of cars, mostly associated with his young days.I think his da worked assembling DKWs and he has several..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Irish Rally Driver Frank Fennell still has a collection of Deeks and NSU's. I would imagine he would be very interested in this article. Any chance you could PM me a copy so I can print it out Paul?

EDIT: I pulled them off the site and printed them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

There was an interesting information board in Ballincollig shopping centre about 2 years ago detailing the factory's history which also included a photo of the very first 1965 Audi which it stated was assembled there too. A DKW rally car that took part in Irish rally trials is on display at the motor museum in Kilgarvan. In the new Renault Megane ad, theres a DKW driving past what I thought was a DKW van but is possibly a Goggomobil :D.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5dimCDuCs0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

g luxel,
    looked at that clip, no dkw, looked again, played it pic by pic, there it t'was. you have one heck of an eagle eye.

then again you posted at 3 am, when owls are about.

regards Rugbyman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭NEVCC

the da is restoring one oat the min.. The picks are old it’s nearly finished now I’ll try to update the web site next week.
    http://www.nevcc.net/Restoration_projects/DKW.html

Advertisement