Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-01-2010, 12:33   #1
Johnick

Water is finally back except in shower (Triton t90si), possible airlock ?

Like a lot of people my water went last weekend but came back Tuesday night, everything now works except the shower. Tank in the attic is full so I'm suspecting an airlock maybe ?. I used to be an electrician 3 & a 1/2 years (never qualified but know how to do 99% of domestic electrical work) but unfortunately my plumbing knowledge is limited, so I asked an old work friend how to fix the lock, got a couple of problems though.

First, I turned off the RCD/trip switch for the shower to isolate it and took the cover off, I was told to trace the pipe leading to the shower in my attic back to the tank and turn it off then remove the filter from the unit (Filter is number 15 in the guide).

http://www.showerdoc.co.uk/shower-sp...si-pumped.html

I have tried turning this with my hand but its too tight, I could use a pliers but its made of plastic and am afraid Ill break it. I was told if I do get it off to remove a small mesh inside, clean it if needs be, turn the water in the tank back on and water should flow eventually out the filter. Once done turn the tank off again, put the mesh back in and tighten the filter, then put the cover back on and turn back on the tank and RCD then it should work once powered up. I was also told I may need to put the shower on the cold and the lowest pressure setting, then gradually raise it, is this true ?.

Anyway I have tried all of the above except removing the filter as I am afraid I may break it, is it safe to open with a pliers if I cant do it by hand ?. Also, a friend in work said he got his working by just leaving it on cold but the highest pressure for 2 hours, it worked but I don't want to blow out the motor (plus he's renting and I'm paying a mortgage so his landlord will end up paying if the motor fries unlike me).

Help is appreciated, getting tired of washing myself with a kettle of water in the sink, thanks in advance
Advertisement
14-01-2010, 15:59   #2
Mike2010

Is your shower feed from the tank in the attic and your copper cylinder?
If so, try turng on all taps up stairs (hot and cold, bath, sinks, en-suites and main bathroom) and then try to start the shower.
When my water came back I had an air lock in the bath taps, and I freed it by doing the above.
It should come back in less than a min. Otherwise turn off the taps again and save water
If the shower is mains fed, then I dont know ... it should just work if the pressure is good enough ... (if there is pressure to fill the attic tank, then it should reach the shower too)
14-01-2010, 16:09   #3
meercat

between the earth connection and number 14 ,slightly to the right and just above the bottom left fixing screw is a thumbwheel.unscrew this.drop hose below shower unit. Make sure power is off
14-01-2010, 16:31   #4
Johnick

Thanks guys

meercat: Sorry if I come accross a bit stupid but just so we are on the same level, by thumbwheel you mean one of these ?

http://rocky.digikey.com/weblib/Pana...%20P4C,P4D.jpg

If so, Im in work now so cant access the unit but dont remember anything like that being there ?.
14-01-2010, 16:41   #5
meercat

similar,white ,edge facing you,its in diagram,not marked,follow inlet pipe 14 through filter 15 into next chamber.The thumbwheel is to the left of this.

Last edited by meercat; 14-01-2010 at 17:02.
Advertisement
14-01-2010, 19:04   #6
corkproducers
Closed Account

I think he means the Filter Cap which is labelled 15,
or "Filter Assembly" as its labelled in the picture.

Had to do this myself today,
had a shower when the water came back,
but it was at low pressure so the tank emptied,
and a lot of dirt at the bottom of the tank went down the pipe and into the filter.

I was able to get ours off by hand by, its a Mira shower though.

Last edited by corkproducers; 14-01-2010 at 19:06.
14-01-2010, 19:08   #7
meercat

Thanks. The bleed valve is after the filter which the op is struggling to remove.
It should be easier from here.
14-01-2010, 19:28   #8
items

I've brought on many air locked showers without even opening tool box, first thing anyone should do is, undo shower hose, let hose lie down on tray, turn temp setting to lowest possible setting, turn on shower. Suction occurs @ shower feed inlet, sometimes its enough to draw the air out, all depends on how much air in pipe, how far shower is from attic tank. By turning the setting to cold the heating element wont kick in, risk of burning out shower is reduced. Only run shower for 30 sec to a min max, and only repeat a few times, anymore might bring on some problems, depending on shower, some showers use the water as lubrication for moving parts.

If shower wont come on that way, undo last shower supply fitting in attic, let it flow out into a basin, once a constant flow of water, re do fitting, run shower @ coldest setting until back to full flow.

Sometimes the internal bleed is to small to remove air from air locked pipe, many times you can have it wide open, still no air or water.
14-01-2010, 20:52   #9
Johnick

Here's the insides, still having trouble getting that valve off

http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr282/Johnick/1a.jpg

and here's the right, just for the hell of it.

http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr282/Johnick/1b.jpg

Still no joy yet
Advertisement
14-01-2010, 21:00   #10
dan de man

Quote:
Originally Posted by meercat View Post
between the earth connection and number 14 ,slightly to the right and just above the bottom left fixing screw is a thumbwheel.unscrew this.drop hose below shower unit. Make sure power is off
it was that simple,many thanks
14-01-2010, 21:17   #11
Matamoros

my problem-slightly different

I have water in my attic tanks and hot water in the cylinder and coming from taps, my cold water taps except for the kitchen sink have little or no water coming out of them. Is this an air lock? Fingal Co Co's site mention needing a hose pipe, any help would be greatly appreciated.
14-01-2010, 21:48   #12
Johnick

Yes!, finally workin, thanks a lot Meercat and Item's

Had to do what both of ye said but its workin perfect now, though maybe its a coincidence but now the sink in my bathroom is blocked ? (waters flying out of the taps but nowhere to go).

Oh well, hopefully a dose of cheap Tesco bleach will sort that.

Thanks again lads ;-)
15-01-2010, 00:30   #13
items

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matamoros View Post
I have water in my attic tanks and hot water in the cylinder and coming from taps, my cold water taps except for the kitchen sink have little or no water coming out of them. Is this an air lock? Fingal Co Co's site mention needing a hose pipe, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Could be an air lock, if your handy with spanners and hot press valves are in good shape give this a go,

Find cold water storage valve in hot press, turn valve off, with a bucket close by, open bottom half of valve, lift valve off pipe underneath, hold closed valve over bucket, open valve into bucket until a good constant flow comes out, turn off valve, slip valve back on to pipe, tighten up nut, open valve, check for leaks.
15-01-2010, 19:10   #14
Matamoros

Thanks for that.

I will give that a go, can't do too much harm. I spoke to my Dad who said that my water pressure might be low as I am the last in line on a block of houses, would this be a factor? I am getting a small continuous driggle of water out of the cold tap in the bathroom but nowhere near the usual flow. Cheers.
15-01-2010, 19:24   #15
kodak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matamoros View Post
I will give that a go, can't do too much harm. I spoke to my Dad who said that my water pressure might be low as I am the last in line on a block of houses, would this be a factor? I am getting a small continuous driggle of water out of the cold tap in the bathroom but nowhere near the usual flow. Cheers.
Similar happened to me,
I have a mixer tap on the bath. Opened the cold tap and hot tap, pop your hand on where water comes out and a second later I had my full water again.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion