Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We already have After Hours

Options
  • 13-01-2010 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭

Can we keep the Creative writing Forum to creative writing please?

Cheers
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

How about you quit your bitchin?
    Your on thread whining has done more to ruin that thread than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

what thread.

who?

how?

where?

why?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055716814
    The saga of trent. All the cool kids are talking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I've no problem with my posts being deleted, along with all the other ridiculous OT ones. TBH, DR.B i think it's a joke that, as a mod, you'd support the derrailing of a thread. Perhaps you don't stray from the Fora you mod very often, but I daresy even you realise you wouldn't go on to (for example) the Photography forum and start making t-shirts and maths formulae about a certain set of photographs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055716814
    The saga of trent. All the cool kids are talking about it.

but trent is the biggest thing to hit AH since facekicker!!

Dave.. seriously.. internet.. serious business.. unwind.. its only one thread that has been crossed from AH to CR, dont be getting your knickers in a twist. It had spent alot of time in AH before it was sent across. The mistake is that it should have been sent earlier or not at all

Theres a myriad of sleep inducing threads in CR for you to sink your teeth into

• Advertisement

davyjose wrote: »
    I've no problem with my posts being deleted, along with all the other ridiculous OT ones. TBH, DR.B i think it's a joke that, as a mod, you'd support the derrailing of a thread. Perhaps you don't stray from the Fora you mod very often, but I daresy even you realise you wouldn't go on to (for example) the Photography forum and start making t-shirts and maths formulae about a certain set of photographs.

You can't contain the legacy of trent.
    I reckon they could put the posts together and boot discussion to one thread but it's as easy as a search for the OP's posts in the thread to isolate what he's writing. I'm a regular lurker on CW, I suggested getting anonymous posting put up in there so people could post up pieces free from the tangles of their usernames. Trent has captured the imagination of people and they have put effort into their own additions. There's a fecking facebook group now. People, for whatever reason, love it. Unless the OP asks for people to stop posting I reckon it should be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is probably the best that can happen to CW, bringing lots of posters in and getting imaginations going. Up Trent say I!

You can't contain the legacy of trent.
    I reckon they could put the posts together and boot discussion to one thread but it's as easy as a search for the OP's posts in the thread to isolate what he's writing. I'm a regular lurker on CW, I suggested getting anonymous posting put up in there so people could post up pieces free from the tangles of their usernames. Trent has captured the imagination of people and they have put effort into their own additions. There's a fecking facebook group now. People, for whatever reason, love it. Unless the OP asks for people to stop posting I reckon it should be allowed.

Fair enough. My intention wasn't to sound so righteous about it, but tbh I'm one (maybe of a minority) who feels the thread has deteriorated over the last 10 or so pages.
    A Trent appreciation thread would be great. But it's messy at the mo, IMO. I'm a pretty big lurker in CW too, and tbh it's not the kind of forum that lends itself to swathes of people cracking jokes. It's intimidating for other writers.
    I also feel that it's been taken away from the OP a little, which annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

i can see your point Davyjose. Some of the nonsense does take away from the awesomeness of Trent alright, but other than using DrB's suggestion, there is no other way.

Why not leave it up to Padraig to decide? Trent is his creation after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

The Creative Writing forum is for offering each other critique and help for writing. At the start the Trent thread was in this vein. Yes, it was a little naughty and was all a little joke. CW people just thanked and offered little words of support, etc...

That thread has since turned into an After Hours colony. From what I can gather there have been 200 posts in the last few days with only one post from padraigg contributing writing. Its been hijacked. Its makes it impossible to follow the actual raison d'etre for the thread. Its filled with the usual AH stuff, that to someone like me who clearly doesn't have enough of "teh win", is nothing more than crap. With the inevitable popularity contest. Who can design the best poster? Look at this Facebook group I made! I've set up a Trent twitter! Ooohh, who can get the most thanks? Look look, look at me!!

Its not what CW is about. And more CW viewers coming from AH isn't necessarily good. If someone started writing and submitting to the forum solely because of the Trent thread I would have to presume that they were only doing it for the popularity. And thats not a good thing.

pickarooney has said she will clean it up at a later date, btw. Kudos to him or her.

• Advertisement

Ah the ole intellectual snobbery alive and well. Good to see it.

Ah the ole intellectual snobbery alive and well. Good to see it.

It's not intellectual snobbery. It's a thread for writing and critiqueing poetry and prose, not fcuking MOAR pictures. What's so hard to understand about that?
    The funny thing is, the amount of bannings and locked threads doled out on AH if the mod has even an inkling that the thread is going in the wrong direction is staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

davyjose wrote: »
    It's not intellectual snobbery. It's a thread for writing and critiqueing poetry and prose, not fcuking MOAR pictures. What's so hard to understand about that?
    The funny thing is, the amount of bannings and locked threads doled out on AH if the mod has even an inkling that the thread is going in the wrong direction is staggering.

ah it is a bit, in fairness. The comment above that it's not necessarily 'a good thing' for people from AH to try CW is snobbery. On a general level I have always liked CW and didn't even know there was a forum for it in Boards until Trent, so I'll lurk there more often and perhaps it might get some creative juices going some day, who knows. I'm also a fan (albeit not die-hard) of AH, does that mean I can't partake in both? surely not. By the way I support you on the MOAR pics etc - bit unnecessary, but I do think it is the highest form of praise to have people create their account sigs based on a CW character etc. Padraigg is talented and people want to show their appreciation.

my 2 cents :)

Meme threads like Trent take on a life of their own and can be damn near unstoppable. It'll blow over soon enough, but in the meantime its hilarious. Pickarooney has said that it'll get tidied up a bit alright, and it needs that, in between the funny there is some BS which is much more suited to AH.

I wouldn't be quick to put down the extra posters the forum is getting guys. AH is one of the busiest forums on the whole site. Sure there are plenty of arses there, but there are also plenty of intelligent people. If some of those people hang around after Trent kicks the bucket, that isn't a bad thing. You say that its a sounding board for your work etc, well critique from those types of posters are just what your looking for. You never know, someone who has temp migrated to CW could have been kicking some story ideas around for ages.

Let Pickarooney clean up a bit and see where it goes and if a post isn't to your liking report it

The comment above that it's not necessarily 'a good thing' for people from AH to try CW is snobbery.

*sigh* Thats not what I said. I said that if someone started writing solely because of the Trent thread, then I would suspect that they were doing it for the popularity.

People have been putting words into my mouth and motives into my heart over this issue.

@dr bolloko: you may rightly accuse me of being an intellectual snob, but all your posting is populist snobbery, in my opinion. A few of us wanted to enjoy Trent without the AH antics. I dont think any of us wanted the antics to stop; merely moved to another thread. The mistake we made is saying that. davyjose was kind of shouted down. Our views are disregarded merely because they're not popular.
    If some of those people hang around after Trent kicks the bucket, that isn't a bad thing.

I agree. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ah it is a bit, in fairness. The comment above that it's not necessarily 'a good thing' for people from AH to try CW is snobbery. On a general level I have always liked CW and didn't even know there was a forum for it in Boards until Trent, so I'll lurk there more often and perhaps it might get some creative juices going some day, who knows. I'm also a fan (albeit not die-hard) of AH, does that mean I can't partake in both? surely not. By the way I support you on the MOAR pics etc - bit unnecessary, but I do think it is the highest form of praise to have people create their account sigs based on a CW character etc. Padraigg is talented and people want to show their appreciation.

my 2 cents :)

Completely agree. The people from after hours who have little interest in creative writing will get bored and probably never visit the forum but there will be a few who will keep coming back and contribute. Just because people take the mick in after hours doesn't mean they aren't capable of contributing to the more serious forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

if someone started writing solely because of the Trent thread, then I would suspect that they were doing it for the popularity.

But you'll never know if this is the case so thinking like this will ruin CW for yourself. There may be a few new posters in CW as a result of Trent, even AH regulars. Don't assume they'll be posting for popularity or as a result of the Trent thread - that's why others view this as snobbery. Critique new posters work in the way you would have before Trentmania and put fora stereotypes to one side

*wink*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I do see the point the OP, DetectivFoxtrot et al are trying to make, I do, but cross-forum relations are a crucial part of the site being fun for a lot of people. The Trent meme is responsible for a whole bunch of posters stepping outside the comfy borders of their favourite forum.

Granted, it'll cause some friction (Creative Writing drowned in a sea of LOLs instead of constructive feedback, After Hours posters highjacking the meme in a vain attempt to get a few more thanked posts, and probably some other third example), but exposure to different things is a good thing for everyone concerned. I trust the moderators of the boards involved to make sure it doesn't get TOO out of hand, but a little leeway is, at least for now, a Very Good Thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Unless the OP asks for people to stop posting I reckon it should be allowed.

...but Padraiggg would be breaking out of his 'Padraiggg' persona if he did that - We can't have that - The 'Padraiggg' character is nearly as good a creation as the Trent character

The Trent stories are called "the Madman."

Kinda funny the way it ended up in some of us, literally, becoming madmen. Trent's getting to our heads :D

So anyway, sorry bout dragging the thread off topic. It got a little out of hand. Silly, in retrospect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

This reminds me how internet culture can often mirror real life. Here we have one ethnic group (AHers) migrating to another part of the internet world (CW) much to the annoyance of some of the natives.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

dsmythy wrote: »
    This reminds me how internet culture can often mirror real life. Here we have one ethnic group (AHers) migrating to another part of the internet world (CW) much to the annoyance of some of the natives.

Damn foreigners...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

For AH regulars and the likes I'm sure they agree with this line of thinking, but there are others (not just CW posters) who aren't fans of spam/sh1t posting and think that a great thread was already well ruined by then and the lads had said what needed to be said. Just wanted to give an opinion of a non CW regular who agrees the sh1te posting is wrecking a great thread.

+1 to an appreciation thread split, IMO keep it in CW though, which would counter the increaseing CW traffic argument, this way maybe some new posters will stay and contribute constructively in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

An utterly childish (and somewhat "camp") AH "invasion" of a perfectly funny thread, supported wholeheartedly by some AH mods. Bit of a God syndrome starting to sink into some mods there now in particular, "we'll do what we want, our AH forum is the bestest ever, yours is shít so we're gonna send the kids over to piss on it, so nyah nyah."
    You have an AH forum for retarded postings and although other forums are not immune from it, there was a clear invasion from AH on to that thread in Creative Writing, again it seems supported and even encouraged by some mods from AH, backed up by more postings from same on here.

Utterley childish and disrespectful to other users of that forum, but you got your jollies so job well done I guess, showed your age's well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Every so often on the Building & Upgrading forums someone comes on and to be frank starts talking a load of BS which they may believe to be true. "Fanboyism" of a particular type of brand, Ignorance that not everyone needs a pc worth €2,000 and so forth.
    It is a huge annoyance, because everyone else is trying to "tell the op like it is" dong their best to be helpful. We don't shout each other down over there and we try to reason with the new guy and show them the error of their ways!
    It's a really great forum for everyone that's willing to learn, where i really first developed my interest in computers and where anyone can go to when in need of a new pc. We don't have problems like this over there because first of all great modding and secondly we have respect for others views if they back them up with evidence.

The CW problem, it's very difficult.
    On B&U if there's a guy looking for a graphics card or something, then someone makes a quip and it goes off about the quip for 5 post then there's a warning! Simple as, end of! This is so easy because there is a line established from what is acceptable and what's not acceptable.
    Now i'm sure you could find a few exceptions where a gag has gone on for more than 5 posts, but my point remains.
    i.e. if people went into the B&U forum and did anything like this, it would be stopped immediately.

The day b4 Yesterday "The Madman?"(yes there is a question mark in the title :D) had 25k views it now has over 32k!

There's more infighting and in the last few seconds the thread has been locked...
    The view the world has of internet forums gets realised once again with flying colours! Don't lock the thread, just delete the last 10 pages and stick a warning + a link to a social forum at the end of it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with complementing the author or even being critical.

At the end of the day if someone want to go and do what all the last 10 pages have been about, they can go to a social forum. If someone want to comment on Creative Writing where can they go?

Nehaxak wrote: »
    An utterly childish (and somewhat "camp") AH "invasion" of a perfectly funny thread, supported wholeheartedly by some AH mods. Bit of a God syndrome starting to sink into some mods there now in particular, "we'll do what we want, our AH forum is the bestest ever, yours is shít so we're gonna send the kids over to piss on it, so nyah nyah."
    You have an AH forum for retarded postings and although other forums are not immune from it, there was a clear invasion from AH on to that thread in Creative Writing, again it seems supported and even encouraged by some mods from AH, backed up by more postings from same on here.

Utterley childish and disrespectful to other users of that forum, but you got your jollies so job well done I guess, showed your age's well.

I agree with the concept, but jeez! Harsh lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Attitudes like Nehaxak's are pretty much the reason I stopped enjoying Creating Writing. The essential idea you were trying to put across wasn't necessarily intellectual snobbery, but they way you just put it across certainly was.

I doubt anyone in CW is impressed by the influx of +1 HURR DURR posts typical of AH, but throwing a strop about it is hardly the way to go about improving the situation, is it? And what about the AH posters who are genuinely contributing to the thread? You want to release the hounds on them too?

Sarky wrote: »
    Attitudes like Nehaxak's are pretty much the reason I stopped enjoying Creating Writing. The essential idea you were trying to put across wasn't necessarily intellectual snobbery, but they way you just put it across certainly was.

I doubt anyone in CW is impressed by the influx of +1 HURR DURR posts typical of AH, but throwing a strop about it is hardly the way to go about improving the situation, is it? And what about the AH posters who are genuinely contributing to the thread? You want to release the hounds on them too?

Lets not drag this off topic too!

imho the right decision by Pickarooney. Why don't people chill out for a bit and see what happens next?

If/When the thread is reopened, maybe all posters can be a bit more accomodating

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭FeetMagic

Completely agree with OP. Most of the posts are complete rubbish and really wrecking the thread. As has been said numerous times theres a thread in after hours for trent so please go there with your crap pics/repetitive posts.

Advertisement