Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mark Kenneally on news yesterday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Rio 2016

Training Montage .... thought the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭islandexile

I thought that the Irish elite squad were gone to Portugal for a warm weather training camp. I was surprised to see him trying to train in the snow, although I know he holds down a day job as a physio. Surely, he would be considered to be in our elite squad??

Anyone be able to shed some light on who is gone on the training camp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1063791

20mins in

training in the snow a la Rocky 4...
    All this needed was to flick over to one of his rivals doing a nice warm gym session followed by topless run in Arizona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

No substitute for hardwork. You can train at altitude or warm weather camp or this or that but who is to say you aren't going to put it in. Kenneally just trains. No grant, no payday. One thing is for sure it'll probably have made him an even tougher effer than he already is, if that is possible. Is there a tougher Irish athlete around at the moment, a real hardman, cue Chuck Norris style one liners about Mark Kenneally......

Kenneally is so tough his sweat melted the snow between Maynooth and Celbridge and he started the thaw on Sunday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Is Kenneally based in Maynooth?

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    Is Kenneally based in Maynooth?

A physio in Maynooth, from Celbridge.

Tingle wrote: »
    No substitute for hardwork. You can train at altitude or warm weather camp or this or that but who is to say you aren't going to put it in. Kenneally just trains. No grant, no payday. One thing is for sure it'll probably have made him an even tougher effer than he already is, if that is possible. Is there a tougher Irish athlete around at the moment, a real hardman, cue Chuck Norris style one liners about Mark Kenneally......

Kenneally is so tough his sweat melted the snow between Maynooth and Celbridge and he started the thaw on Sunday morning

Surely he'll recieve funding when the new carding allocations come out. It would be a disgrace if he didn't. Eighth in the Europens in the most compeditive event in athletics and the governing body don't give him a penny.

I certainly can't think of anyone who is tougher than him.

Would be hard to bet against him taking his first National Senior title in March and landing a blow in the 10000m in Barcelona.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

HaHa good one:):)
    Seen the video his training tools look very interesting

The reason electricity blackouts occur is because Mark Kenneally is doing his training on a treadmill

Mark Kenneally was in Pisa, Italy for a race, he decided to stretch his calfs by leaning against a tower, this tower is now known as The leaning tower of Pisa

Mark Kenneally has requested the IAAF to re clasify any distance 10k or under as sprint distance

Mark Kenneally once participated in the running of the bulls. He walked

When Mark Kenneally answers the phone, he just says "Go". This is not permission for you to begin speaking, it is your cue to start running for your life.

The only reason the Energizer Bunny keeps going and going is because it knows Mark Kenneally is after it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭limericklion

He was on the news tonight again promoting the bupa 10k run in April. Surely Keith Kelly can match his toughness he won he ncaa cross country in minus 20 degrees crazy tough given his injuries etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

He was on the news tonight again promoting the bupa 10k run in April. Surely Keith Kelly can match his toughness he won he ncaa cross country in minus 20 degrees crazy tough given his injuries etc

This is very true. Mark and Keith are cut from the same stone really. It was a great battle between them at national X in 09.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

“but is has been very hard to get any intense training done. When I got to the end of last week I was looking at some last-minute deals to somewhere warm, but it looks like it’s thawing out now. And I’m not a member of a gym, so I don’t have any access to a treadmill. I actually tried to get into a gym in Maynooth last week, but was told it was members only.”

I really find this amazing. How is a top athlete training without access to a gym?

mithril wrote: »
    “but is has been very hard to get any intense training done. When I got to the end of last week I was looking at some last-minute deals to somewhere warm, but it looks like it’s thawing out now. And I’m not a member of a gym, so I don’t have any access to a treadmill. I actually tried to get into a gym in Maynooth last week, but was told it was members only.”

I really find this amazing. How is a top athlete training without access to a gym?
    Maybe he has all he needs at home or somewhere else, He did say he was only tying to use the threadmill :) why would an athlete need one of them :)

shels4ever wrote: »
    Maybe he has all he needs at home or somewhere else, He did say he was only tying to use the threadmill :) why would an athlete need one of them :)

Exactly. His gym is the road.

Exactly. His gym is the road.

The vast bulk of my training is done on a road as well but my gym provides the following facilities:

1. Weights etc.for strength training.
    2. Circuit training.
    3. Elliptical cross trainers which allow fitness to be maintained if injured.
    4. Facilities for pool running which also allow fitness to be maintained while injured.

All of these are valuable and it would be very expensive to fit a home gym to the same level.
    I expect an athlete if they are training optimally to need all of these facilities, even if occassionally.

Throughout the worst of the freeze, it was still possible to run around a field safely in spikes so I don't really understand the need for a treadmill.

The vast bulk of my training is done on a road as well but my gym provides the following facilities:

1. Weights etc.for strength training.
    2. Circuit training.
    3. Elliptical cross trainers which allow fitness to be maintained if injured.
    4. Facilities for pool running which also allow fitness to be maintained while injured.

All of these are valuable and it would be very expensive to fit a home gym to the same level.
    I expect an athlete if they are training optimally to need all of these facilities, even if occassionally.

All very true but not all distance athletes will do weights and to train optimally to some coaches philosophy you don't need any of 1-4 in a gym with walls. Maybe the training regime of him and his coach is such that he doesn't need these things. Whatever the training regime himself and his coach has seems to work. Who knows as we don't know what his coaching routine from A-Z. Innovation and gizmos and gadgets (a barbell may be regarded as a gizmo by an old schooler) can sometimes get in the way of the real work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭traininglog

Throughout the worst of the freeze, it was still possible to run around a field safely in spikes so I don't really understand the need for a treadmill.[/quote]

I don't agree with you here,i know a few top athletes of late have been running on the treadmill.One even logged 95miles on the treadmill last week.
    firstly the treadmill provides a safe surface to run on unlike the previous 2 weeks.
    Also your point about running in spikes would not work as athletes like Kenneally are logging 100miles+ and running in spikes would have the risk of achilles problems and other injuries.
    i think for most athletes it wasn't the cold but the poor underfoot conditions.
    Not everyone has access to a field nearby and even if they do it might only be a small loop which aint the most exciting if you have an 18mile run:eek:

All very true but not all distance athletes will do weights and to train optimally to some coaches philosophy you don't need any of 1-4 in a gym with walls. Maybe the training regime of him and his coach is such that he doesn't need these things. Whatever the training regime himself and his coach has seems to work. Who knows as we don't know what his coaching routine from A-Z. Innovation and gizmos and gadgets (a barbell may be regarded as a gizmo by an old schooler) can sometimes get in the way of the real work.

I've heard roger bannister wouldnt leave the hosue without his garmin 101:)

Roger Bannister's times would not be fast enough to qualify him for the Olympics today.
    Both standards and training techniques have improved over the last 50 years.

To compete at the top level, Irish athletes need to be following the best international practices, tools and techniques.
    Possibly use of a Garmin to train at the correct intensity is one of them.

I have to accept Tingle's viewpoint that its sufficient to train at the highest level without accesss to a gym because he is more knowledgeable than me about the sport. To an outsider though it seems surprising.

• Advertisement

Roger Bannister's times would not be fast enough to qualify him for the Olympics today.
    Both standards and training techniques have improved over the last 50 years.

To compete at the top level, Irish athletes need to be following the best international practices, tools and techniques.
    Possibly use of a Garmin to train at the correct intensity is one of them.

I have to accept Tingle's viewpoint that its sufficient to train at the highest level without accesss to a gym because he is more knowledgeable than me about the sport. To an outsider though it seems surprising.

Yep ! Things have progressed but basic training hasnt changed that much, but the compare the surface that he was running on back then :)

I wonder how much time the Kenyan lads spend in the jackey Skelly in the rift valley ;)

No thats not it. Your points are valid but what I am saying is that his regime may be such that he doesn't need weights or machines and a pool. Mark Carroll is his coach and he may not go for that stuff. I don't know. Kenneally may do loads of 'core' work at home, bodyweight stuff who knows. It would be interesting to see how many distance guys do weights. Its a small example but the small gym in Santry would normally be full of athletes and I've never seen a distance athlete in there, couple of short-middle distance but no distance athletes.

If I was a distance runner I would do weights.

If I was a distance runner I would do weights.
    What would you do yourself, maybe you shouldmove up a few distances :)

Yep ! Things have progressed but basic training hasnt changed that much, but the compare the surface that he was running on back then :)

I wonder how much time the Kenyan lads spend in the jackey Skelly in the rift valley ;)
    Possibly for a different thread but my view that that the success of the Kenyans has more to do their genes, and possibly benefits of living and training at altitude, rather than better training methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

What would you do yourself, maybe you shouldmove up a few distances :)

Nah, I couldn't imagine Tingle slogging through the mud in his Ron Hill's with stirrups. :)

Nah, I couldn't imagine Tingle slogging through the mud in his Ron Hill's with stirrups. :)

I'm tougher than you miserable mucker baxtards give me credit - I was running in the snow too the past few weeks (and without the stirrups).

Kenneally is very well built for a distance runner and weight training would provide him with little benefit. Middle/long distance runners need to use weights if their upper body and leg strength need to be worked on in order for them to reach their full potential.

Kenneally doesn't need to use weights but on the other hand someone like Seb Coe would never have made it anywhere near the top without using weights.

Possibly for a different thread but my view that that the success of the Kenyans has more to do their genes, and possibly benefits of living and training at altitude, rather than better training methods.

I agree with the first prt of your thread but how come the Kenyans of today are running faster than the Kenyans of 15 years ago and how come thaey ran faster ten the likes of Henry Rono and Kip Keino?

Training methods have improved greatly during this time and are continuing to improve.

Rio 2016 wrote: »
    I agree with the first prt of your thread but how come the Kenyans of today are running faster than the Kenyans of 15 years ago and how come thaey ran faster ten the likes of Henry Rono and Kip Keino?

Training methods have improved greatly during this time and are continuing to improve.

Actually I agree with you.Training methods continue to improve everywhere and times are coming down to reflect this.

I suspect training methods in Europe and U.S. are actually better than in Kenya because of the better financed and more developed sporting infrastructure there.

However the genetic base in Kenya, and benefits of growing up/training at altitute, outweigh the better quality training of the Europeans and American runners, who can no longer compete at world level.

Kenneally's goal should be to get a medal at European level.
    I doubt any of his European competitors have their training compromised by lack of access to a gym.

• Advertisement
Advertisement