Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-01-2010, 22:16   #1
dh0661

Seascapes - RTE radio 1

Tom McSweeney has retired, the new presenter Marcus Connaughton announced on last evenings show that the old sig. tune (sorry I can't remember the name) has been changed.

Now I know that a sig. tune is not a make or break situation for a very good & important programme but I for one am going to miss it.

Anyone else here have an opion on this?.
Advertisement
09-01-2010, 22:22   #2
spadder

I'm not a sea dog of any sort, but I always enjoyed the show and the tune.

It seems RTE have to fcuk-up every thing they ever get right.
Thanks from:
10-01-2010, 00:05   #3
humberklog

Ronald Binges' Sailing By?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpJEtnpd2dM

I'll miss Tom. Good presenter.
(3) thanks from:
10-01-2010, 16:13   #4
Ham'nd'egger

Quote:
Originally Posted by humberklog View Post
Ronald Binges' Sailing By?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpJEtnpd2dM

I'll miss Tom. Good presenter.
That's the piece. It was written by Ron for use with BBC for their shipping weather and also got some use with the long lamented test cards.
Thanks from:
11-01-2010, 08:43   #5
PacMan

I cannot understand why they are changing the theme tune from Sailing By...
It is what the show is all about, the maritime industry and all things connected to it.
I have downloaded a copy from I-Tunes, its a great track. As another poster mentioned, it is played on BBC radio 4 at 12.50 each weeknight, before the shipping forecast.
Why are RTE doing ??
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-01-2010, 15:02   #6
humberklog

I've been struggling to figure out why they're dropping the tune too. It makes no sense. Ok there's more of a reason the Beeb have it as the Shipping Forecast is just that and needs a seperate easily identifiable tune to call the attention of tars ears. However using the same tune for Seascapes was and is justifiable. The tune has become associated with things nautical and was perhaps even more suited to Seascapes style of programme.
This is a silly move.
Thanks from:
12-01-2010, 19:26   #7
dh0661

BTW the new sig. tune is called the real (reel) thing, a nice tune in it's own right but will never replace the warm feeling I got when I heard sailing by.
I will be tuning in on Fridays as usual, I'm sure they won't make too many more changes to a tried and tested format.
12-01-2010, 20:23   #8
vector

>Tom McSweeney has retired

A loss to our dials... is his replacement also from Cork? or at least using RTE Cork

12-01-2010, 21:33   #9
Dan Dare

I can't say that I was a regular listener though I always enjoyed the programme when I heard it. I liked Tom McSweeney too. As for "Sailing By", nice tune (and as other posters have stated, it can still be heard on BBC Radio 4 before the Shipping Forecast at 12.50). Change for the sake of change methinks.
Advertisement
12-01-2010, 21:35   #10
dh0661

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector View Post
>Tom McSweeney has retired.
A loss to our dials... is his replacement also from Cork? or at least using RTE Cork
AFAIK - Marcus is Tom's son in law.
12-01-2010, 22:15   #11
Firetrap
Closed Account

I'm only an occasional listener though I did enjoy it if I ever did catch the show. Never mind the theme tune - is the new presenter any good?
13-01-2010, 17:57   #12
native21

Tom McSweeney is a superb broadcaster and made Seascapes his own, due to his love of all things marine. He is also a very accomplished current affairs broadcaster and interviewer. I think RTE announced this gentleman's retirement from Seascapes to him in it's usual professional, caring, appreciative way - about 48 hours before broadcast.

Marcus is not Tom's son-in-law, but another accomplished presenter and producer, who has worked alongside Tom for years out of the Cork studio. Marcus is an expert in blues music in particular - he has broadcast many programmes over the years and is well-known in music circles. He's a good guy and may have decided to change the sig tune because it is being used elsewhere, but also out of respect to Tom, perhaps to acknowledge his impact, rather than dismiss it.
19-03-2010, 23:18   #13
novice

Listening to Seascapes tonight I had to listen carefully at the end to see why I didn't hear either Tom McSweeney or 'Sailing By'.
I found this thread from Google, but not a word on RTE's website on Tom McSweeney's retirement or why 'Sailing By' has been dropped.
I will miss both, and I suspect I won't be the only one tuning in less frequently in future.
Thanks from:
14-05-2010, 00:19   #14
exaisle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh0661 View Post
BTW the new sig. tune is called the real (reel) thing, a nice tune in it's own right but will never replace the warm feeling I got when I heard sailing by.
I will be tuning in on Fridays as usual, I'm sure they won't make too many more changes to a tried and tested format.
What artist originally recorded the new sig tune?
14-05-2010, 12:03   #15
popebenny16

I used to listen when i could, and sad to hear that Tom has retired. I liked the old sig tune too, but have not heard the new one yet.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion