Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for a good quality tyre inflator

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

How often will you actually need to use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

jackncoke wrote: »
    How often will you actually need to use it?

A lot, I like to check the tyre pressue every week and it saves me having to queue up at the local petrol station.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Why would you need it.:confused:..if youre worried about getting a puncture these wont fix it...just buy a can of tyrefix and throw it in the boot...

Why would you need it.:confused:..if youre worried about getting a puncture these wont fix it...just buy a can of tyrefix and throw it in the boot...

I might need to inflate each tyre by a pound or two each month or from time-to-time and it saves me from going to the petrol station to do so.

Btw, what's with all the questions, this is like the Spanish inquisition :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

My Dad has the Michelin one you linked to - its good and its a lot quicker than a lot of cheaper ones. Some of them can be very, very slow.

Here's a cheaper alternative:

http://www.micksgarage.ie/proddetails.aspx?pid=19382&pk=d3f2f

Remember that if (or anyone you know) has an Axa car policy, you'll get 15% discount in Halfords.

Whatever you buy, make sure that its quick.

A twin foot pump and a separate digital tyre pressure guage will be cheaper and probably all that you need - quicker too as less to set up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Each to their own I guess , waste of money IMO unless you live out way in the sticks

• Registered Users Posts: 33 EngTech

I then found this paticular model on amazon, which seems to get better reviews all round:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Tyre-Inflator-12-Volt/dp/B000Q4UBMW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1263047492&sr=8-1

I have that one for a few months. Have used it a few times and had no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

jackncoke wrote: »
    Each to their own I guess , waste of money IMO unless you live out way in the sticks

Not really - you get to check your tyres when they're cold (as you should) and a lot more accurate than garage air line guages. Its a pity that more drivers don't take routine maintenance more seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

If you looking for really good quality stuff, you could do worse that look at what the 4x4/off-road people use.
    They spend much of their time either pumping tyres up or letting them down. :D

Here's Devon 4x4's range of that sort of thing:
    http://www.devon4x4.com/products_a/c105/tyre-inflation/0.html

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd buy a €10 inflator in Maxol and a good quality gauge to double check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,574 ✭✭✭maidhc

if you have a small garage it would be worth getting a proper compressor. Maybe €300, but it will last forever and it can be used for so many other things.

It is well worth having your own air supply either way. Trying to find a garage with air that works is a nightmare. I use a old 2 cylinder diesel road compressor. i think it can do about 150 psi. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I have the Michelin Hi Power Rapid Inflator model. Slightly different to the one linked. I have used it about 8 times so far & it does the job fine. It has 4 white LEDs on it that are very useful for locating the tyre valve.
    Here is a "WHAT CAR" review of it:

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/what-car-test-tyre-inflators/2nd-michelin-hi-power--38-99/231565

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Anyone have either of these models or can you recommend another good quality tyre inflator.
    Just get a bog standard old-fashioned foot pump .. far less to go wrong. Quite why everything has to be both electrically powered and 'digital' these days is beyond me, especially for something as simple as a tyre pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I got one of these before Christmas,top quality compared to others i've had.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7403459/Trail/searchtext%3ECOMPRESSOR.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Alun wrote: »
    Just get a bog standard old-fashioned foot pump .. far less to go wrong. Quite why everything has to be both electrically powered and 'digital' these days is beyond me, especially for something as simple as a tyre pump.

Try pumping my van tyres to 60 psi with a foot pump. I guarantee if you don't give up first your bog standard foot pump will bend or sheer the rivets before you get to 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I use an Air compressor with a Tyre Guage/Inflator attachment. You would have to be some fool to spend EUR70 on a standalone inflater (unless it goes in the car with you) when you can get an infinately more useful Air Compressor (Painting, Cleaning, Air Ratchet, Air Gun and general Inflator) for around EUR200ish.

Bought it years ago and Ive used it for so many totally different applications I couldnt even put a value on it. I would assume an Air Compressor (even a cheap weak one) would be a lot faster at pumping up your tyres too.

Forgot about this thread. I actually bought the Ring Tyre Inflator as listed in the OP. Im quite happy with it; it's good quality, fairly durable, easy to use, and the pressure gauge is very accurate. I bought my one off amazon and iirc it was around €35 delivered, which is very good value. Halfords had a similar Michelin one in the shops here for about ~€80 at the time I think, so obviously it's much cheaper to buy off the net. A good quality tyre inflator is an essential piece of kit imo and I usually check my car tyres for pressure once every two weeks.

The only thing I will say is that there is a compartment at the back of the unit for storing the electrical flex and the tyre pressure hose so that all wires are neatly stored inside the square unit. In my experience, it can be a bit tricky to put back the electrical flex into the compartment at the back of the unit, so bear this in mind if you are thinking of buying. Other than that, it;'s a very good tyre inflator.

Advertisement